ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue vs Iowa Game Thread

Why go for 2 here?

There so little time that it doesn't matter, but you should always go for 2 after the first TD when trailing by 15 late. The most important info at that time is whether or not you make the 2pt conv. It's better to know that outcome as soon as possible so you can adjust. With 1 min left, it's a real long shot, but if they had recovered the kick, they knew they needed a FG, another onside, and a hail mary. If they kick the extra & recover the onside, they then just play for a TD before the clock runs out--no time to adjust to if the 2pt conv fails.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
There so little time that it doesn't matter, but you should always go for 2 after the first TD when trailing by 15 late. The most important info at that time is whether or not you make the 2pt conv. It's better to know that outcome as soon as possible so you can adjust. With 1 min left, it's a real long shot, but if they had recovered the kick, they knew they needed a FG, another onside, and a hail mary. If they kick the extra & recover the onside, they then just play for a TD before the clock runs out--no time to adjust to if the 2pt conv fails.

This is 100% false imo. Your keep it a 1posseseiongame as long as possible. They Killed the game at that point

Perhaps.....there's just not really enough time for another possession.

Regardless......Victory for the Boilers! Didn't see this one coming today.....

This is 100% false imo. Your keep it a 1posseseiongame as long as possible. They Killed the game at that point

But it's only a 1 possession game if you make the 2pt conv. You don't really know if it's a 1 or 2 possession game until after that 2pt attempt, and it's to your benefit (no matter how slight) to find that out as soon as possible.

yup.

You stay in the game as long as possible, and you keep putting pressure on the other team.

if you can score and pull within 8 (1 score), it can create panic.

When you fail to convert the 2 pt conversion on the first score, you're screwed.

correct, but you apply pressure to the other team as long as possible, and keep your OWN team in the game as long as possible.

If you think that was the right call, you're in the minority.
I think that’s the right call with 3 minutes left but not with 1 minute left. Either way, the play call was bad.

I think logically that is correct.. However, if you take emotions into account, I believe you'd increase your chances of getting the 2pt conversion if you wait until the end. You're team would be full of confidence from coming back, while the defense would be doubting itself. The crowd would be at a frenzy..

No way is it sensible to risk a two there. It is a lower percentage of success than the kick and if you miss on either one it is still a two possession game. What have you gained?

I think logically that is correct.. However, if you take emotions into account, I believe you'd increase your chances of getting the 2pt conversion if you wait until the end. You're team would be full of confidence from coming back, while the defense would be doubting itself. The crowd would be at a frenzy.

Yes, there is emotion involved that I ignore when I treat it as a logic problem. The key is your belief that you actually increase your chances of converting the 2pt attempt by waiting. If that's the case, by all means, you should wait to attempt it. I think that's a very different argument than waiting to attempt the 2pt conv just because you want to keep it an 8pt game (which is possibly 1 possession).

With the talk of momentum and pressure I do wonder who is really facing more pressure on a last second 2pt attempt. Is it the team that has been reeling but still knows it goes to OT and has another chance to win if it fails and gives up the last second 2pt conversion (the defense)? Is it the team with the momentum that knows it loses the game if it fails and doesn't convert the 2pt attempt (the offense)? I imagine it's probably situational and team-by-team and game-by-game. I guess the coaches get the big bucks to read that sort of thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT