ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue vs Illinois State WBB

Purduelooks awful so far. Seem like they are confused , not hustling bad shots, etc. Are they worried about finals or what?

Pretty depressing game offensively for both teams. Purdue ahead 25-23 at half after 6-0 run. Neither team can hit 3PT shots with Purdue 0-8 and Ill State 2-14.

• Wow
Reactions: JeffBoiler
Purdue missing Layden’s floor spacing ability. Illinois State has also done a great job at limiting Purdue’s transition looks.

Forcing them to play in the half court, which we know is not this team’s strength.

Reactions: DocRon
Between Smith, Hardin and Petree we are 0-11. Smith missed two bunnies in a row right under the basket.

Purdue now has 14 TOs compared to the Redbird’s 11 thru 3 quarters. (And we started the 4th Q with a TO on our first possession.)

Unlike recent games we win going away 64-51. Offense and defense came to life in 4th Q. 18 TOs compared to 14 for Redbirds. During 4th Q our shooting finally came around finishing 51% for the game.

Reactions: tenwest
I was finally able to watch the game tonight. I stayed away from the net until now because I didn't want to know the outcome before I watched.

Another good win for the ladies. They seemed to struggle early but as the game went on they picked up their play. Once the shots started to fall it really helped. Nice to see Jayla Smith hit a few important shots. I think she has really been struggling with her confidence lately. That's another thing I like about Coach Gearlds. She doesn't give up on players. She keeps giving them chances to contribute and it really paid off with Jayla today. I hope she is able to build off this performance.

Turnovers were still too high but there was improvement over the last couple games. Very thankful that Lasha Petree chose to become a Boilermaker. She is definitely the team MVP so far this season. Ava Learn deserves a shout out for today's performance also. She got extra minutes with Madison out and did a good job.

I'm very happy to hear Madison will be back for the next game. She has struggled some this season but she is still the team's glue and best all-around player. They need her playing like she is capable.

Just one more note.....interesting to see the Maryland team the ladies just lost a heartbreaker to kicked UCONN's butt today.

I was finally able to watch the game tonight. I stayed away from the net until now because I didn't want to know the outcome before I watched.

Another good win for the ladies. They seemed to struggle early but as the game went on they picked up their play. Once the shots started to fall it really helped. Nice to see Jayla Smith hit a few important shots. I think she has really been struggling with her confidence lately. That's another thing I like about Coach Gearlds. She doesn't give up on players. She keeps giving them chances to contribute and it really paid off with Jayla today. I hope she is able to build off this performance.

Turnovers were still too high but there was improvement over the last couple games. Very thankful that Lasha Petree chose to become a Boilermaker. She is definitely the team MVP so far this season. Ava Learn deserves a shout out for today's performance also. She got extra minutes with Madison out and did a good job.

I'm very happy to hear Madison will be back for the next game. She has struggled some this season but she is still the team's glue and best all-around player. They need her playing like she is capable.

Just one more note.....interesting to see the Maryland team the ladies just lost a heartbreaker to kicked UCONN's butt today.
Yes, I was happy to see Jayla finish the game nicely as her early minutes were very discouraging. I keep wondering (not living in Indiana) “How did she win Indiana Miss Basketball?” It does seem to be an adjustment issue. Even last year Coach KG would make statemets (on numerous occasions) that “she is going through some things.” I sure hope she gets it all straightened out - not just because of the team but her personal happiness and well-being.

Kind of the same with Madison. As this season has gone on I so rarely see her smiling or seeming to have any joy in being on the team. I think (from afar) that she is a very solitary person. Yesterday when she was not dressed for the game but hovered around the edge of the team in time outs, etc., she was without a smile and seemed to be going through the motions.

Is it what MichaelRR says - that she is being utilized poorly? I compare her sullen attitude to the happiness Janae Terry or Abbey Ellis show. If it weren’t for her sister coming in next fall I could see her entering the portal as she just does not seem to be happy. I hope I am wrong.

I agree about Petree probably being, at this point, MVP but you have to give a thought to voting for Ellis (as if I have a vote.) What a spark plug. Such a fighter and never seems down, even after her devastating missed free throw that allowed IU to beat us last year. Always going at 110%. And hits the big shots when we need them.

Yes, amazing about Maryland. It sure didn’t look like the team we played (and should have beaten) would be able to do that.

Last edited:

UConn right now is down 4 injured players, their best player, top 2 posts, and their starting point guard. UConn also got rolled by ND recently when their PG went out early in that game. It's a shame we don't play UConn right now, because they are really short handed and not very good ATM.

Yes, I was happy to see Jayla finish the game nicely as her early minutes were very discouraging. I keep wondering (not living in Indiana) “How did she win Indiana Miss Basketball?” It does seem to be an adjustment issue. Even last year Coach KG would make statemets (on numerous occasions) that “she is going through some things.” I sure hope she gets it all straightened out - not just because of the team but her personal happiness and well-being.

Miss Basketball is political as well as about best player. Katie Douglas, one of the best players (if not THE best) to ever come out of Indiana was NOT Miss Basketball..... And some years the player that gets Miss Basketball is at her peak and is not someone that will thrive in college as they already have maximized their ability.

Kind of the same with Madison. As this season has gone on I so rarely see her smiling or seeming to have any joy in being on the team. I think (from afar) that she is a very solitary person. Yesterday when she was not dressed for the game but hovered around the edge of the team in time outs, etc., she was without a smile and seemed to be going through the motions.

Is it what MichaelRR says - that she is being utilized poorly? I compare her sullen attitude to the happiness Janae Terry or Abbey Ellis show. If it weren’t for her sister coming in next fall I could see her entering the portal as she just does not seem to be happy. I hope I am wrong.

I agree about Petree probably being, at this point, MVP but you have to give a thought to voting for Ellis (as if I have a vote.) What a spark plug. Such a fighter and never seems down, even after her devastating missed free throw that allowed IU to beat us last year. Always going at 110%. And hits the big shots when we need them.
I'd vote for Terry but with strong consideration for Petree.....

Yes, amazing about Maryland. It sure didn’t look like the team we played (and should have beaten) would be able to do that.

Smith is going to be fine. Ellis deserves to be a starter cause she has the most fire/skills of anyone on the team!!
During the Second half vs IS I thought I was watching a Versyp team. 8 passes and a turnover. What happened to the run and gun? They have the woman-power to run all night. This team goes 10 deep. Madison is a skilled vet and she will be just fine as the season gets along. The squad has to realize it is a team and that any of a number of players might be the star on a given night. If no one worries about playing time but gives their all when they do hit the floor, this team will achieve big things!

Smith is going to be fine. Ellis deserves to be a starter cause she has the most fire/skills of anyone on the team!!
During the Second half vs IS I thought I was watching a Versyp team. 8 passes and a turnover. What happened to the run and gun? They have the woman-power to run all night. This team goes 10 deep. Madison is a skilled vet and she will be just fine as the season gets along. The squad has to realize it is a team and that any of a number of players might be the star on a given night. If no one worries about playing time but gives their all when they do hit the floor, this team will achieve big things!
I wish that saying everything “is going to be fine” solved some of the issues we are seeing. Some players on this team are not playing up to expectations. I hope what you are saying is true but glossing over the issues is not facing reality.

That said, I hope we have a winning B1G record and if we do we should get into the NCAA tournament. That is probably not “big things” but would be a significant advance.

Reactions: Gesysp
You simply can't compare Miss Basketballs from year to year. It's solely based on the talent pool of players that happen to be seniors that year. Some Miss Basketballs are better than others. For instance - had a Skylar Diggins been in Jayla Smith's year - Smith wouldn't be Miss Basketball. And then you have a year where you have 2-3 great players and 1 of them have to be it over the other 2 great players - who would normally earn that honor had they been a part of any other class.

So again, not all Miss Basketballs are the same.

I wish that saying everything “is going to be fine” solved some of the issues we are seeing. Some players on this team are not playing up to expectations. I hope what you are saying is true but glossing over the issues is not facing reality.

That said, I hope we have a winning B1G record and if we do we should get into the NCAA tournament. That is probably not “big things” but would be a significant advance.
I don't know that 10-8 and a 7th place BT finish gets us into the NCAA. Right now we have faced two possible NCAA tourney teams, and are 0-2. Part of the decision process for team selection into the NCAA tournament is how a bubble team did against teams in the field ahead of them, so unless we beat some of the top 5-6 teams in conference (and UMary was our best chance of that) we are likely WNIT bound again this season. MSU is on a 5 game losing streak and in freefall, they are very unlikely to get into the NCAA without suddenly getting better and finishing top 5 in BT and a good showing in the BT tourney.....

None of our top three returning scorers from last year are producing as well as they were in Big Ten play last year. Woltman and Ellis because of demotion to the bench and reduction of playing time and Layden for whatever reason it may be; whether its being played out of position to some extent by having to run the point, lingering issues from being played hurt for several weeks before finally being sat down last year, or Petree and Harper on the floor have changed the flow of the offense and she no longer fits with the current offensive flow we have. Or some other issue we have no idea about, but something is definitely "off" with Layden this year so far.

None of our top three returning scorers from last year are producing as well as they were in Big Ten play last year. Woltman and Ellis because of demotion to the bench and reduction of playing time and Layden for whatever reason it may be; whether its being played out of position to some extent by having to run the point, lingering issues from being played hurt for several weeks before finally being sat down last year, or Petree and Harper on the floor have changed the flow of the offense and she no longer fits with the current offensive flow we have. Or some other issue we have no idea about, but something is definitely "off" with Layden this year so far.
I agree with much of your post but Ellis is actually scoring more per game (12.1 ppg vs 11.5 ppg) than last year (if that is how you want to measure "production") despite reduced mins. (23.5 mpg vs 28.9 mpg) . Of course the whole team is scoring more.

I would say Ellis and Woltman are playing at least as well as last year despite their decrease in playing time. Agree about Madison, something is "off".

I agree with much of your post but Ellis is actually scoring more per game (12.1 ppg vs 11.5 ppg) than last year (if that is how you want to measure "production") despite reduced mins. (23.5 mpg vs 28.9 mpg) . Of course the whole team is scoring more.

I would say Ellis and Woltman are playing at least as well as last year despite their decrease in playing time. Agree about Madison, something is "off".

Ellis averaged 12.28 in conference only games last year. She was one of the few that their averages went up in conference play.

ADVERTISEMENT