ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue VB Sweeps Rutgers - More Injuries?

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
The Boilermakers won the volleyball match in 3 sets but it was not as easy as that score would indicate. The first set was back and forth with 5 lead changes and 13 ties. Rutgers lead by as much as 4 points. But Purdue made some late runs including 3 straight at the end and Grace Balensiefer (once again) got the kill to finish off the set victory 25-22.

The second set was similar but Purdue dominated a little bit more with only 3 lead changes and 8 ties. Purdue was once again behind by as much as 4 but runs of 4 straight and three straight points put the Boilers ahead to stay starting at a 16-16 tie and Purdue thereafter never relinquished the lead. The set ended 25-20 with two straight kills by Raven Colvin who had a great game this afternoon.

The third set was much less competitive with Rutgers seeming to tire. Purdue was comfortably ahead most of the match and there were only 2 ties and no lead changes. Rutgers had trouble all afternoon with service errors totaling 12 for the three sets and the match point was awarded on a service error. Purdue, by comparison, had only 4. The final score was 25-13.

Absent from the court players today were Maddie Schermerhorn (for the fourth match) and Hannah Clayton who was absent for the first time. Emma Ellis also did not make an appearance after having an excellent game on Friday night. Schermerhorn had a large wrap on her left thigh but seemed to be moving well on the sideline. Clayton and Ellis also were on the sideline without apparent injuries to my eye. Balensiefer and Renner again shared setting duties with Meg in the front row and Grace in the back.

Lourdes Myers started at middle and shared time with Colvin - who had a hell of a game (11 kills and hitting % 0.600, a service ace, 2 blocks and 13 pts). Lourdes played more than she ever has before and did well with 6 kills and a hitting % of 0.677 along with 3 blocks and 7.5 pts. Eva Hudson again dominated with 19 kills hitting 0.469 % along with 1 block, 5 digs and 19.5 pts. We just assume anymore that she will have those kind of numbers.

I find it hard to believe that Shondell just kept the players out because he felt his team could beat the Scarlet Knights without them, especially after the first set. Since they were present I assume they were not ill.. So either discipline or injury kept them out? I could not get Purdue’s “stretchinternet portal” to work for me the whole game (something that is happening frequently) so I would have loved to hear Kyle Shondell’s comments on their absences. Nothing informative was said by the student announcers on Big Ten Plus. If any of you have insight I would love to hear it.

At any rate it was a pretty good game for team members who do not play often such as Myers and, to a lesser extent (lesser minutes), Rastovski and Yim. On to a home rematch against Iowa (who got beat in 4 sets today at Minnesota) on Wednesday.

Last edited:
I would bet money he was just giving Myers an opportunity to shine. He has been so positive about her and laments about not having enough opportunity for everyone.

from everything I hear about Clayton, she is as far from a discipline problem as she could possibly be.

IMO, chinn has been having a rough stretch and has not even been taking swings…tipping everything, playing safe. Perhaps Dave wanted to build some confidence.

I think our tourney success will ride on Hudson/Koch/Ellis/Colvin/Clayton as the front row. Maybe myers makes a move but Clayton is so good on the slide and is a smart blocker. Myers looked very good today and I‘m sure that is what they have been seeing in practice.

The Boilermakers won the volleyball match in 3 sets but it was not as easy as that score would indicate. The first set was back and forth with 5 lead changes and 13 ties. Rutgers lead by as much as 4 points. But Purdue made some late runs including 3 straight at the end and Grace Balensiefer (once again) got the kill to finish off the set victory 25-22.

The second set was similar but Purdue dominated a little bit more with only 3 lead changes and 8 ties. Purdue was once again behind by as much as 4 but runs of 4 straight and three straight points put the Boilers ahead to stay starting at a 16-16 tie and Purdue thereafter never relinquished the lead. The set ended 25-20 with two straight kills by Raven Colvin who had a great game this afternoon.

The third set was much less competitive with Rutgers seeming to tire. Purdue was comfortably ahead most of the match and there were only 2 ties and no lead changes. Rutgers had trouble all afternoon with service errors totaling 12 for the three sets and the match point was awarded on a service error. Purdue, by comparison, had only 4. The final score was 25-13.

Absent from the court players today were Maddie Schermerhorn (for the fourth match) and Hannah Clayton who was absent for the first time. Emma Ellis also did not make an appearance after having an excellent game on Friday night. Schermerhorn had a large wrap on her left thigh but seemed to be moving well on the sideline. Clayton and Ellis also were on the sideline without apparent injuries to my eye. Balensiefer and Renner again shared setting duties with Meg in the front row and Grace in the back.

Lourdes Myers started at middle and shared time with Colvin Raven - who had a hell of a game (11 kills and hitting % 0.600, a service ace, 2 blocks and 13 pts). Lourdes played more than she ever has before and did well with 6 kills and a hitting % of 0.677 along with 3 blocks and 7.5 pts. Eva Hudson again dominated with 19 kills hitting 0.469 % along with 1 block, 5 digs and 19.5 pts. We just assume anymore that she will have those kind of numbers.

I find it hard to believe that Shondell just kept the players out because he felt his team could beat the Scarlet Knights without them, especially after the first set. Since they were present I assume they were not ill.. So either discipline or injury kept them out? I could not get Purdue’s “stretchinternet portal” to work for me the whole game (something that is happening frequently) so I would have loved to hear Kyle Shondell’s comments on their absences. Nothing informative was said by the student announcers on Big Ten Plus. If any of you have insight I would love to hear it.

At any rate it was a pretty good game for team members who do not play often such as Myers and, to a lesser extent (lesser minutes), Rastovski and Yim. On to a home rematch against Iowa (who got beat in 4 sets today at Minnesota) on Wednesday.
I was at the game. No one around me knew why Clayton didn’t play, we were hoping maybe something was said about it on radio. I do recall that while I was listening to the Illinois radio coverage of the Purdue - Illinois match that the Illinois play by play announcer commented that Clayton landed awkwardly on one play at the net, but appeared to be okay and kept playing. Was nice to watch Lourdes Myers play today. She looked very tentative early on, but kept gaining confidence as the match progressed. Would be nice to have a 3rd middle who can play, especially a taller one.

Last edited:
I would bet money he was just giving Myers an opportunity to shine. He has been so positive about her and laments about not having enough opportunity for everyone.

from everything I hear about Clayton, she is as far from a discipline problem as she could possibly be.

IMO, chinn has been having a rough stretch and has not even been taking swings…tipping everything, playing safe. Perhaps Dave wanted to build some confidence.

I think our tourney success will ride on Hudson/Koch/Ellis/Colvin/Clayton as the front row. Maybe myers makes a move but Clayton is so good on the slide and is a smart blocker. Myers looked very good today and I‘m sure that is what they have been seeing in practice.
I would have more confidence you were right if either Clayton or Ellis had made some appearance. It is one thing to start someone else but different, IMHO, not to put them in the game at all. Just seemed weird to me.

But what do i know?

Reactions: TKPKID and Boilermb
I would have more confidence you were right if either Clayton or Ellis had made some appearance. It is one thing to start someone else but different, IMHO, not to put them in the game at all. Just seemed weird to me.

But what do i know?
Obviously have some sort of injuries, hopefully minor as both are needed. ______________

Reactions: DocRon

Lourdes Myers started at middle and shared time with Colvin Raven - who had a hell of a game (11 kills and hitting % 0.600, a service ace, 2 blocks and 13 pts). Lourdes played more than she ever has before and did well with 6 kills and a hitting % of 0.677 along with 3 blocks and 7.5 pts. Eva Hudson again dominated with 19 kills hitting 0.469 % along with 1 block, 5 digs and 19.5 pts. We just assume anymore that she will have those kind of numbers.

Just wanna say thank you for the recap. I find it informative for folks like me who don't have B1G+ and who can't attend games.

I am pretty sure Coach Shondell will get questions about it at today’s presser.
It’s nice that some younger players are getting some time, however, Ellis, Clayton, and Schemerhorn are needed if this team is going to go on a deep tourney run later in the year. Says s lot about Coach Shondell though, Purdue lost a ton last year, now losing starters from this year, the depth is remarkable really.

Saw Emily Rastovski in 9 Irish Brothers with her parents, and they were thrilled with her brief minutes in the match yesterday. Emily was excited about getting a chance to get on the court in a live setting. Another polite young lady recruited by Dave Shondell! :)

You were exactly correct, TKPKID. Dave said just said in his press conference that he just wanted to give Lourdes some time to play and that Clayton is such a good teammate that she very graciously stepped aside. What a neat thing that teammates have that kind of grace for each other.

I did not hear him say why Ellis was not playing.

Last edited:
You were exactly correct, TKPKID. Dave said just said in his press conference that he just wanted to give Lourdes some time to play and that Clayton is such a good teammate that she very graciously stepped aside. What a neat thing that teammates have that kind of grace for each other.

Reactions: DocRon and TKPKID

giving time to Myers is a great thing and will help her build confidence, she has looked the most disinterested with her body language during recent matches

Dave did get Yim and Rastovski in for a few points against rutgers

Last edited:
It’s nice that some younger players are getting some time, however, Ellis, Clayton, and Schemerhorn are needed if this team is going to go on a deep tourney run later in the year. Says s lot about Coach Shondell though, Purdue lost a ton last year, now losing starters from this year, the depth is remarkable really.
Especially because the transfers that he brought in were not national stud/star players. Two were local and I have to believe (with LESS THAN ZERO evidence) that having Emily and Grace helped secure Chicone) and a 5th year that never sniffed the tourney.

They are all talented without having to be the center of attention and you can tell they are all about team success.

They have fit in perfectly as far as i can tell.

listening to Dave tell the stories about how each one happened is really remarkable, as is the Ava Torrance story

ADVERTISEMENT