ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue v. West Virginia (2022 Phil Knight Legacy Game Thread)

Purdue Grad in Texas

All-American
Mar 22, 2010
Happy Thanksgiving, Ladies and Gentleman. Tonight, it's the #24th-ranked (AP) Purdue Boilermakers taking on the West Virginia Mountaineers in Veterans Memorial Coliseum (Portland, Oregon) in an opening quarterfinal game of the 2022 Phil Knight Legacy Tournament. Tip is scheduled in a couple of hours for around 10:00 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on ESPN2. The winner of tonight's game moves on in the winner's bracket to face the winner of Portland State/Gonzaga tomorrow night @ 11:30 pm (Eastern time). The losers of both those games tonight would be in the consolation side of the bracket at 9:00 pm (Eastern time).

In the top half - Duke outlasted Oregon State (54-51) earlier, and Xavier knocked off Florida (90-83).

Purdue is 7-1 all-time against West Virginia (3-1 under Matt Painter) with the last meeting in Morgantown back in December 2013, which Purdue won 73-70.

Both teams have gotten off to a solid start this season - Purdue is 3-0 this season after they defeated Marquette by a score of 75-70 in their last game. The Boilers shot 48.2% from the field, made nine three pointers, but was -4 in rebounding margin in the game. Zach Edey has led the Boilers this season with 20.7 points, 13.7 rebounds, and 3.3 blocks per game. Purdue is shooting 44.3% from the field, 75.4% on free throws, and a disappointing 28.7% on three pointers so far this year.

West Virginia is 4-0 this season after they defeated Penn by a score of 92-58 in their last game. West Virginia shot 55.6% from the field, made 12 three pointers, and forced 18 turnovers in the win. The Mountaineers are averaging 81 points per game, 57.3 points against per game, 34.3 rebounds and 13.5 assists per game. Erik Stevenson has led the Mountaineers this season with 14 points, 1.5 assists, and 1.3 rebounds per game. West Virginia is shooting 50.9% from the field, 75% on free throws, and 37% on three pointers this year.

Expected Starting Line-ups:

West Virginia - Tre Mitchell, Emmitt Matthews, Jimmy Bell, Erik Stevenson, and Kedrian Johnson

Purdue - Mason Gillis, Zach Edey, Ethan Morton, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

After playing a couple of inferior opponents, Purdue got a little bit of a test from Marquette and generally handled the ball pressure well - finishing with six turnovers. West Virginia should provide even more pressure and can also get a little physical. That's sometimes been a problem for Matt Painter-coached Purdue teams. Purdue is also going to need to shoot it a little better from outside, and the Boilers definitely need to do a better job with loose balls and second chance opportunities than they did last time out against Marquette. West Virginia is fairly balanced and wants to play aggressively on both ends of the floor, so Purdue will have to be disciplined to work the tempo in their favor, which includes taking the right opportunities in transition or as a result of West Virginia's press defense.

West Virginia has senior Erik Stevenson, who can generate offense for them, and he has the ability to go into the post against smaller guards. Purdue will need to try and neutralize him as much as possible as he also runs the floor well and looks to shoot the ball quickly in transition, especially from deep. Tre Mitchell could give Purdue some problems in the paint and with ball screen action. In addition, transfer Joe Toussaint from Iowa can also give West Virginia some punch from the bench.

I expect Purdue will continue try to work the inside advantage with Zach Edey. For those who think with West Virginia, it may be a different strategy.....might have to reconsider that after some interesting comments from Coach Matt Painter:

"We're really struggling in that area (referring to feeding the post.) They have to do a better job of delivering the ball when he gets open. It's happening about eight to 10 times in each game (where they miss him).

I'm kind of treating Marquette as a loss. That's what I told them in film (session). I know it sounds crazy, but if they make two more shots, you feel a lot different in the locker room after the game. So I still look at some of the things that we struggled at. I thought we still had some possessions out there where guys were shooting to get shots off. You've got to get your shots in rhythm. Guys would make a shot, then they'd take a bad one because they made one. "

If Purdue can match the intensity of West Virginia, play disciplined, limit the turnovers, and keep West Virginia from too many extra possessions.....they have a really good opportunity to advance. If they also shoot a decent percentage, that will increase their chances tonight.

One other interesting note with this game is West Virginia's Bob Huggins' place on the all-time victories list. Last time out, he tied Jim Calhoun for third (920), so with his next win, he'll be in third alone behind only Mike Krzyzewski (1,202) and Jim Boeheim (1,001). Hopefully for the Boilers' fortunes, he doesn't earn that honor tonight, but we shall see. It should be an interesting contest.

Boiler up, my friends.

i
i

So I guess there are 2 Phil Knight tournaments going on at the same time.

Actually four with the women included.

Phil Knight Invitational has eight men's teams and four women's teams. Same with Phil Knight Legacy (which has Purdue in it).

Three Portland venues. Legacy is in the Veterans Memorial Coliseum where the Blazers originally played - and was the site for Portland's raucous run in the '77 NBA Finals.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
If I had to take a drink for every Walton reference to "THEE Conference of Champions," they would be planning my eulogy before half time.

• Haha
Reactions: Schnelk
Wtf who wants to stay up until 12am on Thanksgiving to watch a game.. I guess it is what it is though

Happy Thanksgiving, Ladies and Gentleman. Tonight, it's the #24th-ranked (AP) Purdue Boilermakers taking on the West Virginia Mountaineers in Veterans Memorial Coliseum (Portland, Oregon) in an opening quarterfinal game of the 2022 Phil Knight Legacy Tournament. Tip is scheduled in a couple of hours for around 10:00 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on ESPN2. The winner of tonight's game moves on in the winner's bracket to face the winner of Portland State/Gonzaga tomorrow night @ 11:30 pm (Eastern time). The losers of both those games tonight would be in the consolation side of the bracket at 9:00 pm (Eastern time).

In the top half - Duke outlasted Oregon State (54-51) earlier, and Xavier knocked off Florida (90-83).

Purdue is 7-1 all-time against West Virginia (3-1 under Matt Painter) with the last meeting in Morgantown back in December 2013, which Purdue won 73-70.

Both teams have gotten off to a solid start this season - Purdue is 3-0 this season after they defeated Marquette by a score of 75-70 in their last game. The Boilers shot 48.2% from the field, made nine three pointers, but was -4 in rebounding margin in the game. Zach Edey has led the Boilers this season with 20.7 points, 13.7 rebounds, and 3.3 blocks per game. Purdue is shooting 44.3% from the field, 75.4% on free throws, and a disappointing 28.7% on three pointers so far this year.

West Virginia is 4-0 this season after they defeated Penn by a score of 92-58 in their last game. West Virginia shot 55.6% from the field, made 12 three pointers, and forced 18 turnovers in the win. The Mountaineers are averaging 81 points per game, 57.3 points against per game, 34.3 rebounds and 13.5 assists per game. Erik Stevenson has led the Mountaineers this season with 14 points, 1.5 assists, and 1.3 rebounds per game. West Virginia is shooting 50.9% from the field, 75% on free throws, and 37% on three pointers this year.

Expected Starting Line-ups:

West Virginia - Tre Mitchell, Emmitt Matthews, Jimmy Bell, Erik Stevenson, and Kedrian Johnson

Purdue - Mason Gillis, Zach Edey, Ethan Morton, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

After playing a couple of inferior opponents, Purdue got a little bit of a test from Marquette and generally handled the ball pressure well - finishing with six turnovers. West Virginia should provide even more pressure and can also get a little physical. That's sometimes been a problem for Matt Painter-coached Purdue teams. Purdue is also going to need to shoot it a little better from outside, and the Boilers definitely need to do a better job with loose balls and second chance opportunities than they did last time out against Marquette. West Virginia is fairly balanced and wants to play aggressively on both ends of the floor, so Purdue will have to be disciplined to work the tempo in their favor, which includes taking the right opportunities in transition or as a result of West Virginia's press defense.

West Virginia has senior Erik Stevenson, who can generate offense for them, and he has the ability to go into the post against smaller guards. Purdue will need to try and neutralize him as much as possible as he also runs the floor well and looks to shoot the ball quickly in transition, especially from deep. Tre Mitchell could give Purdue some problems in the paint and with ball screen action. In addition, transfer Joe Toussaint from Iowa can also give West Virginia some punch from the bench.

I expect Purdue will continue try to work the inside advantage with Zach Edey. For those who think with West Virginia, it may be a different strategy.....might have to reconsider that after some interesting comments from Coach Matt Painter:

"We're really struggling in that area (referring to feeding the post.) They have to do a better job of delivering the ball when he gets open. It's happening about eight to 10 times in each game (where they miss him).

I'm kind of treating Marquette as a loss. That's what I told them in film (session). I know it sounds crazy, but if they make two more shots, you feel a lot different in the locker room after the game. So I still look at some of the things that we struggled at. I thought we still had some possessions out there where guys were shooting to get shots off. You've got to get your shots in rhythm. Guys would make a shot, then they'd take a bad one because they made one. "

If Purdue can match the intensity of West Virginia, play disciplined, limit the turnovers, and keep West Virginia from too many extra possessions.....they have a really good opportunity to advance. If they also shoot a decent percentage, that will increase their chances tonight.

One other interesting note with this game is West Virginia's Bob Huggins' place on the all-time victories list. Last time out, he tied Jim Calhoun for third (920), so with his next win, he'll be in third alone behind only Mike Krzyzewski (1,202) and Jim Boeheim (1,001). Hopefully for the Boilers' fortunes, he doesn't earn that honor tonight, but we shall see. It should be an interesting contest.

Boiler up, my friends.

i
i
Appreciate all the work you do for every game. Thank you! Now I must prepare for battle... ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT