ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue recruiting class

Originally posted by Chop HO:
How I'm feeling about most of this recruiting class- hope I'm wrong
Sorry we didn't bring in enough 4 and 5 stars for you....

I like how under Hazell this is unexcusable. Under Hope we were recruiting "Florida Speed" and "Diamonds in the rough"

Literally nothing has changed in recruiting from 2007-present.

Why are people only now upset?

Here's a hint....poor recruiting in 2013, 2014 and this year only tells a very small tale of why we sucked this year and had very few contributing seniors in the 2 deeps...

Watch the film on these guys, you'll feel better.

I'm not even looking at stars- looking at who else offered a bunch of these guys- we're competing with Georgia Southern and Furman for crying out loud

I don't follow recruiting, but I went to ESPNs recruiting site just to see if there was much difference in the rankings, and I didn't notice that there was much difference between Hope's last two years and Hazell's first two, other than there seemed to be a lot more unranked players under Hope.

I don't see where things appear to have tanked recruiting wise under Hazell, but maybe I'm missing something.

Actually reading your comment makes me feel better- I hope we have diamonds in the rough and I'm sure you do- I don't put a whole lot of stock into the recruiting ratings but I tend to get concerned when I see us pulling in guys with no other power 5 offers.

Originally posted by Conistan:
I don't follow recruiting, but I went to ESPNs recruiting site just to see if there was much difference in the rankings, and I didn't notice that there was much difference between Hope's last two years and Hazell's first two, other than there seemed to be a lot more unranked players under Hope.

I don't see where things appear to have tanked recruiting wise under Hazell, but maybe I'm missing something.
Right.

People were taking a wait and see approach with Hope....even while he was in process of getting fired.

This class will end up ranked around where most of Hope's classes were. The key is, get guys in and develop them. If we don't we'll be bad. If we do, we'll eventually get better...then that will open the doors to get more talent.

Ohh.I didn't realize that the recruiting system went above 3 stars.. Did someone tell coach about this? (tic) Perhaps it this might be part of the problem, but then it is hard to attract players when we have won an average of 1.5 games / year. (argh).

Winning cures everything... it fixes recruiting problems, puts butts in seats, grows revenue and quiets whinny fans( like me) . Without it we all get depressed, stop buying Purdue stuff, stop giving to the school, stop signing up for the big 10 channel, send our kids to directional schools and worst all after our dignity is spent, we start watching and cheering for IU because it is still in Indiana.

What a bitter pill.

This post was edited on 12/19 7:13 PM by AZboiler

Let me see if I got this thinking right. If a guy is the best player in his state, and named Mr. Football, but he is labeled a 3 star by guys who probably never saw him play in person, then this recruit is not a great catch in your eyes. Did I get your thinking right? Any class with 2 Mr. Footballs has something to be excited about.

Mr. Football in Indiana is a whole lot different than Mr. Football in Texas or Florida. I wouldn't compare Mr Basketball in Indiana to the same from Utah, would you?….
What I am saying is that winning cures a lot of problems from recruiting to revenue. I am also saying without it , the record of 4 win in 24 tries is not going to draw a lot of positive attention from recruits or alumni

Purdue is paying DH 4-5 times what Hope was making for the same results in recruiting classes. I am still waiting for the recruiting to pick up and if it doesn't, Purdue will win 2-4 games a year.

Originally posted by pboiler18:

Right.

People were taking a wait and see approach with Hope....even while he was in process of getting fired.

This class will end up ranked around where most of Hope's classes were. The key is, get guys in and develop them. If we don't we'll be bad. If we do, we'll eventually get better...then that will open the doors to get more talent.

Purdue and Hazell better hope there are a lot of diamonds in the rough in this class of 21-25 kids. I agree with letting them develop and that it takes time. Unfortunately programs and fans expect winning NOW. That's just where we are in society. Purdue doesn't have time on its side.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by cmf295:
Originally posted by pboiler18:

Right.

Purdue and Hazell better hope there are a lot of diamonds in the rough in this class of 21-25 kids. I agree with letting them develop and that it takes time. Unfortunately programs and fans expect winning NOW. That's just where we are in society. Purdue doesn't have time on its side.

Stumbling out of the gate to 4-20 shrunk hazell' time frame.

His recruiting is actually getting worse if you look at average stars

Originally posted by boiler800:
I say it is getting better based on the number of Mr. Footballs.

That is a high school award. It does not necessarily translate to the next level Go look at the list of Indiana mr footballs. Guarantee you don't recognize many of the names

If you are happy with the recruiting effort so far, then you are just looking for positives. 2 star players can turn into studs, but based on the number of them and lack of decent offers, things are not looking good. Our coaches who wanted to make Indiana a priority were late to the game 2 years in a row with the exception of McCann, Knight, Barajas and Kirkland. Why not offer the kids you know you will be offering later in the year. We blew it will Robinson and heck even Austin Dorris who is committed to IU would look good now(I know he is from Ohio). This recruiting staff scares the crap out of me as they are blowing it early in the season and then playing catch up for the remainder of the season. We have absolutely struck out on TE's 2 years in a row, get after some studs for next year or that will be a gaping hole.

The highschool season is virtually done with now so I would be all over juniors who had good seasons right now or at least after the recruiting freeze. Our coaches talk about being accountable, it is time for them to get a move on. I do think Parker is doing really well though.

Originally posted by nat100:

Stumbling out of the gate to 4-20 shrunk hazell' time frame.

His recruiting is actually getting worse if you look at average stars

As someone that looks at competitive offers once a kid signs, and never again, it seems to me recruiting under Hazell was significantly better for the first six months than it had been since 04 and has since been as bad as Ive ever seen it once the whole 4-20 thing started factoring in. Specifically in regards to competitive offers and rankings.

In particular, I cant believe how many kids we are the only power 5 offer for.

Our last Mr. Football Desmond Tardy... what NFL roster is he on?

Desmond was a nice return man at Purdue but did he have a "Mr. Football" career here?

Indiana has better college prospects than Mr. Football but they go to OSU or Notre Dame.

Sindelar, Jones, McCann, and Worship are quality recruits. Add Vaugn out of TN and I approve of this class.

I don't understand the culture here at all. Is there even one reason why Purdue fans should be happy with anything whatsoever Purdue major sports right now? Even one reason? Since Tiller left at Football it has been just dismal. Just unimaginably bad. We tripled the coaches salary to Hazel, but we go from a 6 win team to a 1 win team the very next season. What is that? Really, what is that? If Mustache coach can do it with 1/4 the salary, we quadruple and then some, and we get 1 win with the exact same team? I am not saying we have to be Ohio State out of the gates with the new coach, but nobody with a straight face can sit there and tell me a reasonable expectation shouldn't have been to win at least a hands full. That is a very reasonable expectation. Going from 6 wins and a bowl appearance to 1 win, and virtually getting blown out all the other meaningful games by miles, that is unacceptable. So I agree that recruiting is the problem, along with all of the athletic administration and the culture of just depression they have instilled. Recruiting is a huge problem right now in that we cannot seem to get anyone in the 4star or 5star ranks. Northwestern recruited more 3star recruits than Purdue in football, and this is the norm. You can't use academics as an excuse or for that matter tradition, facilities, or pride. This is what it is because something is materially wrong in the athletics department in all phases at the management level, and that means the AD and coaches, along with their entire staffs.

This post was edited on 12/25 8:19 PM by Foolmeoncefan

Our depth was mill this year a lot goes back to the 2011 season where we only signed 12-13 guys. This put us behind the 8 ball. In Hopes last years, I think we were on the verge of great class but the rumors of Hopes demise took the momentum away. I believe we lost 4 guys to Nebraska alone. The competitive difference has shrunk and as we get more depth along the lines, we may pull out wins in the 4th quarter. Pretty sure most us after we have cooled down from the disappointing end of the season can be objective about where we are. If you look at the guys Minnesota has gotten not a lot of studs but players that fit Kill's system and they incrementally have gotten better. I'm not going say I wasn't happy with the way the season ended but I saw progress. We operate differently in the way we recruit but we have a staff that can recruit. We develop depth and you don't have the same scenario at the end next year

5 stars no, but higher rated 3 star guys absolutely. We should be able to land players with other BCS offers and players who translate well to the college level. We don't have many guys rated higher than 5.5 on Rivals. I know Rivals isn't always the best at ranking, but its not like all these 2 star guys we have are going to be under the radar guys. Most wont be very special.

This post was edited on 12/28 2:41 PM by emoody

This post was edited on 12/28 2:43 PM by emoody

Originally posted by brees4life:
Also if anyone call tell me what system this staff wants to run they will be the first!
It's a square peg-round hole approach to offense. They apparently seem to want to run a pro-style offense with a mixture of players recruited for the spread and a pro-style offense. When I look at recruiting the last 2 years, I don't know what the hell he's recruiting for...each scheme needs players with a different skill sets...this offense isn't being "built" for either, it's a mess!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT