ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue recruit Eric Hunter leads Tindley past HCHS

IndyGlen

True Freshman
Jul 25, 2006
i attended Indy city tournament game tonight featuring future Boiler Eric Hunter leading his Tindley Tigers past Heritage Christian.

Here are my “casual” observations:
Eric has really nice athleticism and can play over most HS opponents. Can finish at the rim and scored on multiple drives past his defender and over help defenders.

Left handed and very quick and skilled ball handler.

Really smooth jump shot with deep range.

Seems unselfish and a lot of b-ball IQ. Effective passer and took advantage of his hops to pass over defenders.

Didn’t force many shots, handled varying degrees of defensive pressure.

Only negative I saw is he is very thin especially his legs but has great vertical anyway.

Saw CMP at game - so proud and thankful he is our coach. Very humble, didn’t make any grand entrance, yet he graciously greeted those who came up to him. On a cold night that he could have spent for himself, he drove 65 miles one way to support Eric, probably won’t get home till late.
BOILER UP!

I am very excited for him to get here. CMP is in reloading mode it appears and not rebuilding which is fantastic.

Thanks OP for the post.

Reloading....like the way that sounds. Hope it is true as that has not always been the case.

Reloading....like the way that sounds. Hope it is true as that has not always been the case.
I agree that we had a couple years where that didn't happen, but since at least when AJH was here that has been the case more than not. I fully expect a drop off next year, I mean we have talent but we lose a truckload of experience, but not a complete plummet like before. To me that is reloading and not rebuilding and puts us in a good position every couple yers.

Painter may have changed his philosophy on the guards he's recruiting. Not sure if it's a trend, but in the past, he's typically had really good defenders but ones that were somewhat offensively challenged. With CE, he has the full package and sounds like Hunter might have all those traits as well. Don't know enough about Thompson yet to say.

Painter may have changed his philosophy on the guards he's recruiting. Not sure if it's a trend, but in the past, he's typically had really good defenders but ones that were somewhat offensively challenged. With CE, he has the full package and sounds like Hunter might have all those traits as well. Don't know enough about Thompson yet to say.
He still recruits those types as well. Eastern is more that type. Tyger is also that type. Little Thompson is more of a scoring type.

I agree that we had a couple years where that didn't happen, but since at least when AJH was here that has been the case more than not. I fully expect a drop off next year, I mean we have talent but we lose a truckload of experience, but not a complete plummet like before. To me that is reloading and not rebuilding and puts us in a good position every couple yers.
I agree. The main difference is we unloaded Morgue the bean counter, so Painter isn’t squeezing into a Ford Festiva on trips like these:
tenor.gif

I am thoroughly enjoying this year's team. Next year's team will be just as good at times, but maybe not as consistent.

I expect Nojel to make the same kind of remarkable improvements that Carson Edwards did going into his Sophomore year. A sophomore Haarms will be a terror for opponents to deal with. I think Mathias' role as shooter and passer can be replaced by Cline. The question mark will be who does the shooting/slashing/rebounding that VE has done for this team for four years?

I see our starters as less consistent than this year, but still very good. The bench will be thin and inexperienced. Unproven kids like Wheeler, Shasha, Williams, Hunter, etc. When we sub, I see the team's performance hurting just a bit.

This situation, next year, is absolutely beautiful for some 5* recruit to be a real impact player. Too bad Romeo is not looking carefully enough at Purdue. The road is wide open in 2019 for a plyer like him to elevate this whole group.

Reactions: BoiledSteel
Painter tried to land some gifted scoring guards, such as Chasson Randle, Gary Harris, Jalen Brunson, etc, but they chose other schools. Even Bryson Scott was a big time scorer in high school, albeit without a great outside shot. Terone Johnson and Anthony Johnson were recruited as scoring combo guards, but neither (especially AJ) developed like Carsen has.

I am thoroughly enjoying this year's team. Next year's team will be just as good at times, but maybe not as consistent.

I expect Nojel to make the same kind of remarkable improvements that Carson Edwards did going into his Sophomore year. A sophomore Haarms will be a terror for opponents to deal with. I think Mathias' role as shooter and passer can be replaced by Cline. The question mark will be who does the shooting/slashing/rebounding that VE has done for this team for four years?

I see our starters as less consistent than this year, but still very good. The bench will be thin and inexperienced. Unproven kids like Wheeler, Shasha, Williams, Hunter, etc. When we sub, I see the team's performance hurting just a bit.

This situation, next year, is absolutely beautiful for some 5* recruit to be a real impact player. Too bad Romeo is not looking carefully enough at Purdue. The road is wide open in 2019 for a plyer like him to elevate this whole group.

Very good points. Next year's team will definitely be more inconsistent, but I like the pieces Painter is assembling so far.

Replacing Vince will be tough. I am hoping Wheeler will be ready to grow into that utility stretch four role next year.

Also, we will miss Haas conversion rate on offense a ton. It is such a luxury to throw it to him on the block when this team needs a bucket. Plus, if he gets fouled, he's 80% from the line. He is a special player that some of us, myself included, take for granted sometimes.

Reactions: Fansince72
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT