ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue women's basketball Purdue-Penn State: Pre-game thoughts and GoldandBlack.com game thread

Brian_GoldandBlack.com

Jun 18, 2003
West Lafayette, Ind.
Hello from somewhere that’s not the Bryce Jordan Center, but may as well be, considering that Penn State is 0-9 in the Big Ten, it’s freezing out and even free chicken tenders may not be enough to draw a decent crowd in tonight for the Nittany Lions’ meeting with red-hot Purdue.

The easy label to stick on this game is that of the land mine, the “trap” game cliché that could apply to a young Boilermaker team unaccustomed to this point to handling the sort of success it’s suddenly experiencing, capped by Sunday’s win over No. 6 Michigan State.

Penn State, by any objective measure, is bad, and that can be part of the problem in situations like this, and the Bryce Jordan Center has a way of sucking the life out of Purdue teams like Slurpee through a straw, though maybe I shouldn’t make the 7-Eleven reference as it relates to Sheetz country.

Anyway, I guess this is a good test of Purdue’s maturity.

With that in mind, Purdue has done nothing this season but take care of business in a decisive manner against opponents it should beat, even when it was having its ups and down earlier this season. It has not been in this position on the road, however.

Penn State struggles to score and it’s guards are, well, not great, but the Pat Chambers farewell tour has brought with it a decent defensive team, requiring Purdue to play with the same patience and self-awareness it has for the most part during this winning streak. Oh, and keep Mike Watkins off the glass.

Do that stuff and Purdue wins. We’ve said such things a bunch over the years only to see Purdue need Kendall Stephens and Ryan Cline miracles bail their hindquarters out.

We’ll see.

I’m not at the game, but chances are you won’t even notice in our coverage. We’ll have everything we normally would, including interviews from State College afternoon.

We’ll have updates in the meantime on Twitter at @GoldandBlackcom and @brianneubert

Discuss the game here or however you wish. For the sake of thread consolidation, we’d love to keep all the ‘Whoa!’, ’“”””””fire Painter!!!!” and “Good shot Carson” posts kept in one place.

Thanks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News