ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue NIL Collective

Is there an initiative led by former players? I could see Cardinal being good in that role.

Hasn’t Purdue already announced that they’ve started one?
Nothing until the article Tom just posted. For now, I'm continuing forward as if we have nothing unless/until Purdue shows they have something. Worst case scenario, I've wasted my time because they have something up in a couple weeks. I dont mind wasting my time maybe if anything it will get them to move faster on whatever they have

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
Nothing until the article Tom just posted. For now, I'm continuing forward as if we have nothing unless/until Purdue shows they have something. Worst case scenario, I've wasted my time because they have something up in a couple weeks. I dont mind wasting my time maybe if anything it will get them to move faster on whatever they have
From 12 days ago

If you're interested in helping getting an NIL collective going for Purdue athletics, shoot me a DM. We've got a decent sized group of people and are looking to make something happen.
This is what’s ruining college basketball. Kids went from woe is me, I’m a poor college athlete to how much NIL are you going to give me to come to your school. Already reading on Twitter Miami has offered Pack close to 500k.

This is what’s ruining college basketball. Kids went from woe is me, I’m a poor college athlete to how much NIL are you going to give me to come to your school. Already reading on Twitter Miami has offered Pack close to 500k.
Miami back to their old ways, shifting from football to basketball down the line. They probably should have had the death penalty in football at one point.

I think this is the newer one in the works.
Yep. And:

Miami back to their old ways, shifting from football to basketball down the line. They probably should have had the death penalty in football at one point.

Ya, but with NIL and the transfer portal, the rules are pretty much out the window.

Purdue has nothing, and, even what they ultimately have will not be impactful.

The article posted shows how far out of touch with reality Purdue not only is, but, intends to remain apparently as well.

Reactions: bub-rub
Not much there...actually, in reality, truly nothing there...just a lot of talk and some nonsense about the "Purdue way" ultimately, which, unfortunately....is not the right way as much as they want to act and pretend that it is.
There really is no right way, wrong way, or Purdue way. We either choose to compete, or we choose not to compete.

There really is no right way, wrong way, or Purdue way. We either choose to compete, or we choose not to compete.
Which, Purdue has long chosen to not compete...and, will continue to...i.e., "the Purdue way".

Like say, Purdue was way behind...remains way behind...and, even when they ultimately come up with whatever it is that they are working on, they will still not be competitive. Just read the article and several of the ignorant comments made within it.

Without the ability to look at bank records and telephone calls the NCAA is powerless with the NIL just like they were with under the table payments to athletes. Only a fluke now and then gets the NCAA the evidence to catch someone cheating. The laws that states passed and Congress endorsing is a prime example of “shoot first and ask questions later”! Amateur athletics is done forever with these rules in place. Using the example that Head Coach make millions should result in players making money for doing nothing to very little Is a joke. Capitalism is the CEO making millions while their workers struggle to increase their income! While I hear that the players struggle yet they have free room and board, tution, books, tutors, meals clothing, stipends, etc., I just hope the IRS starts taxing all the benefits and NIL income of these poor student/athletes to welcome them to the real world!

Last edited:
Without the ability to look at bank records and telephone calls the NCAA is powerless with the NIL just like they were with under the table payments to athletes. Only a fluke now and then gets the NCAA the evidence to catch someone cheating. The laws that states passed and Congress endorsing is a prime example of “shoot first and ask questions later”! Amateur athletics is done forever with thsee rules in place. Using the example that Head Coach make millions should result in players making money for doing nothing to very little Is a joke. Capitalism is the CEO making millions while their workers struggle to increase their income! While I hear that the players struggle yet they have free room and board, tution, books, tutors, meals clothing, stipends, etc., I just hope the IRS starts taxing all the benefits and NIL income of these poor student/athletes to welcome them to the real world!
NIL money is taxable income. Players paid taxes on their NIL money this year. Money comes from businesses and not under the table, so tax forms are given to the players.

They should also pay taxes on their scholarships and benefits as they are employees now! On a side note the cost of a top point guard just reached almost $900,000 with Pack’s deal to Miami today. I don’t think Universities can arrange to pay Pro salaries under the NIL rules very long as it will separate the men from the boys very quickly! What a MESS states and Congress created!

They should also pay taxes on their scholarships and benefits as they are employees now! On a side note the cost of a top point guard just reached almost $900,000 with Pack’s deal to Miami today. I don’t think Universities can arrange to pay Pro salaries under the NIL rules very long as it will separate the men from the boys very quickly! What a MESS states and Congress created!
So charge all scholarships? It’s no different than a kid on academic scholarship working at a pizza place.

Reactions: SCBoiler1
Well, $900,000 for your name and face is probably a little different than students who work part time jobs.
No it’s not. Income is income. Just because they got more doesn’t mean they don’t deserve a scholarship. How many “rich kids” get academic scholarships? If you tax one you must tax the other.

No it’s not. Income is income. Just because they got more doesn’t mean they don’t deserve a scholarship. How many “rich kids” get academic scholarships? If you tax one you must tax the other.
Taxing a kid with the academic scholarship probably won’t amount to much, as he’s in a much lower tax bracket than the athlete with the scholarship and the 200K income.

The IRS considers a scholarship as a discount off of a full price item, not income. Therefore, it is not taxable.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
Taxing a kid with the academic scholarship probably won’t amount to much, as he’s in a much lower tax bracket than the athlete with the scholarship and the 200K income.
That’s not exactly what is meant. It’s more of the fit throwing over kids with NIL.

What will be interesting to see is how much of a trickle down effect there will be.

What people forget is that Pack was one of the biggest names in the portal. In reality Purdue was probably only involved because of his Indiana roots and the tie to Webber.

It seems like there is a lot of money being thrown around out there but it will be interesting to see if it will be focused on 50 or 100 guys or spread around to everyone playing D-1 basketball.

Edey would be the perfect NIL guy, He's a really good player, he's somewhat unique and he's probably not a future NBA player. I wonder if he would reconsider the portal given what's developing?

I hope not.

Edey would be the perfect NIL guy, He's a really good player, he's somewhat unique and he's probably not a future NBA player. I wonder if he would reconsider the portal given what's developing?

I hope not.
Or we make him our flagship NIL player and entice him to stay. I'd be alright with that myself.

This is a sad day for college sports that players now can "make" half .....or more ..of what a college coach makes.

I hope not.
I wonder if Tre has reconsidered it. What would he be worth for next season ?

The schools that 1) have high profile tech millionaires and billionaires alums 2) are located in business and tech hubs with high profile tech millionaires and billionaires and 3) are located in preferential locations (weather, no state taxes) will dominate the NIL arms race. I don't see a path where Purdue can compete.

I hope not.
I don’t believe Edey can legally make money in the US due to his visa. I believe he can only legally make NIL money in Canada.

The schools that 1) have high profile tech millionaires and billionaires alums 2) are located in business and tech hubs with high profile tech millionaires and billionaires and 3) are located in preferential locations (weather, no state taxes) will dominate the NIL arms race. I don't see a path where Purdue can compete.

There’s plenty of alums that have a couple million to spare. A lot of them you probably never heard of. I think we can compete but only if we and the donors want to.

Actually I don’t think that is quite true. That would suggest that the tax code is rational and it is not! 🫤

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I don’t believe Edey can legally make money in the US due to his visa. I believe he can only legally make NIL money in Canada.
Wasn’t Cockburn offered a lot of money to return. He is from Jamaica or is it different for Canada? This is all very confusing.

Actually I don’t think that is quite true. That would suggest that the tax code is rational and it is not! 🫤
I won’t argue against that. Wait until the NIL deals are paid in stock. The deferred compensation is taxed as capital gains. Then the taxes will be paid by NIL money. Wait and see.

• Wow
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT