ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue knocks off No. 22 Illinois on Thursday night.

DubJellison

Staff Writer
Staff
Oct 26, 2022
Purdue women's basketball knocks off No. 22 Illinois, 62-52 in Champaign on Thursday night. The Boilermakers continued their dominance over Illinois, securing the 65th win in 84 games over the series' history. Purdue also holds a record of 22-2 since 2010-2011. Purdue won its first road game over a ranked opponent since beating No. 10 Maryland in 2018.

Really proud of their effort and Gearlds‘ coaching. I suspect not many of us thought the women could pull this off but they did. Another reason why people on this site who are constantly negative about this team need to temper their opinions.

We still have a shot of 20 wins and an NCAA tournament berth. We are now in 7th place in the B10, the 6 teams ahead are all ranked, a couple very highly. Due to conference strength I see at least 7 teams (maybe 8) get in. We are fighting with Nebraska and (maybe) Michigan State for those remaining spots. Of the 3 teams - Purdue has the easiest remaining schedule - 3 games against IU and OSU but the rest of are all very winnable.

Nebraska and Michigan State still have to play each other and then MSU has games at Illinois, Michigan and Maryland and a road game at Purdue - that's going to be a gauntlet so maybe the Spartans have a very outside shot as they sit only at 3-6 in conference. While Nebraska still has two games with Iowa and Illinois and a road game at Michigan. So it may come down to just Purdue or Nebraska for the last spot - or this could all be moot if both finish strong and both slide in which I can see happening. Had we not collapsed late against Nebraska we'd be comfortably in right now, save for a late season collapse.

Creme's latest Bracketology, updated today, has both Nebraska and Purdue part of the last 4 in. Both are 11 seeds part of the play-in games.

Last edited:
20 wins would mean Purdue will probably need to take one from IU(2) or OSU. Losing that winnable game in LV would definitely have pushed the number to 20. Hope the committee doesnt penalize the team for that.

If they can get to 10 wins in the Big Ten that would put them in a very good spot.

20 wins would mean Purdue will probably need to take one from IU(2) or OSU. Losing that winnable game in LV would definitely have pushed the number to 20. Hope the committee doesnt penalize the team for that.

If they can get to 10 wins in the Big Ten that would put them in a very good spot.

While I don't see 20 regular season wins - I could see us getting to 20 by tournament time if we get 1 or 2 W's in the B10 tournament. But I don't think the committee will judge us solely on win total. Many more factors come into play.

Reactions: DocRon
While I don't see 20 regular season wins - I could see us getting to 20 by tournament time if we get 1 or 2 W's in the B10 tournament. But I don't think the committee will judge us solely on win total. Many more factors come into play.
Yep, my 20 win hope was Big Ten tourney included. Hopefully they had their slump, last night was a win I wasn’t expecting.

Yes, I think to get in we are going to need to beat at least one more ranked team and not get upset by anybody in the lower half of the B1G (like we did with Nebraska - ugh)

Reactions: Russ Ford
Got the “one more ranked team” win. Now win the 5 winnable of the remaining 7 games, and maybe shock IU in one, and make the field safely.

Reactions: DocRon
ADVERTISEMENT