ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue hoping for bid; more notes, video ...

KODK

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
• Sharon Versyp thinks its 50/50 for the NCAA, but there might be some reason to think Purdue is trending up a little bit there. There's some cushion in that NCAA bubble. For instance: Will 23-win but 88th strength of schedule Dayton get an at-large over Purdue? Will a second MAC team get in? If the answer is no, then the Boilermakers are in, probably.

Purdue (18-13) has an RPI of 62 with a strength of schedule of 26, with five wins in the RPI top-50. On a conference call Thursday, ESPN's Charlie Creme explained why he has Purdue was one of his "first four out."

"It's a few things in terms of keeping them out," Creme said. "No. 1, their RPI. 2, the win-loss record. They do have a collection of top-50 wins, but outside of Central Michigan, which is — in watching Central Michigan a little bit is looking less and less impressive — all those games were in the Big Ten. ... I've had a real dilemma around a lot of teams in the Big Ten, namely Purdue, Nebraska and Minnesota, because they do have a collection of top-50 wins, nothing in the top-25 and all of those wins have come each other. Is it mediocrity in the league? Is it good? I tend to lean toward mediocrity, since none of them did anything in the non conference of substance.

"The advantage, though, that Purdue would have that would get them in, is they at least scheduled better in the non conference than Nebraska and Minnesota. Actually, they schedule a lot better than those two teams. But what's unfortunate for them is they didn't play well down the stretch, they only have 18 wins and their RPI is north of 60 now. I think all those things put together are going to be too much for that stretch of schedule to overcome and they're going to end up being in the WNIT."

• Purdue did not put in a bid for hosting the WNIT, so if it's that tournament, the Boilermakers will be on the road. First-round games are Wednesday-Friday next week.

• Lamina Cooper is back in school following her illness - she had missed 2-3 weeks of classwork - but will not play the remainder of the season. The plan is for her to resume workouts then after.

Last edited:
Best of all this is Cooper getting healthy. Her loss turned this season south. You don't lose your best defensive player and not suffer a lot. Repeating myself, an NIT bid would not hurt these players. No one will complain if they Dance but for a young team, playing in the NIT could be beneficial. Next year will be next year and I hope we have a healthy Cooper back, lose no key players, and actually have depth. Might surprise a few teams then.

Best of all this is Cooper getting healthy. Her loss turned this season south. You don't lose your best defensive player and not suffer a lot. Repeating myself, an NIT bid would not hurt these players. No one will complain if they Dance but for a young team, playing in the NIT could be beneficial. Next year will be next year and I hope we have a healthy Cooper back, lose no key players, and actually have depth. Might surprise a few teams then.
They still need to add another girl, 2 ships left, I think the grad transfer route would be smart, history tells us that we might see some players leave after the season, not to mention the numerous injuries that seem to happen yearly

• Sharon Versyp thinks its 50/50 for the NCAA, but there might be some reason to think Purdue is trending up a little bit there. There's some cushion in that NCAA bubble. For instance: Will 23-win but 88th strength of schedule Dayton get an at-large over Purdue? Will a second MAC team get in? If the answer is no, then the Boilermakers are in, probably.

Purdue (18-13) has an RPI of 62 with a strength of schedule of 26, with five wins in the RPI top-50. On a conference call Thursday, ESPN's Charlie Creme explained why he has Purdue was one of his "first four out."

"It's a few things in terms of keeping them out," Creme said. "No. 1, their RPI. 2, the win-loss record. They do have a collection of top-50 wins, but outside of Central Michigan, which is — in watching Central Michigan a little bit is looking less and less impressive — all those games were in the Big Ten. ... I've had a real dilemma around a lot of teams in the Big Ten, namely Purdue, Nebraska and Minnesota, because they do have a collection of top-50 wins, nothing in the top-25 and all of those wins have come each other. Is it mediocrity in the league? Is it good? I tend to lean toward mediocrity, since none of them did anything in the non conference of substance.

"The advantage, though, that Purdue would have that would get them in, is they at least scheduled better in the non conference than Nebraska and Minnesota. Actually, they schedule a lot better than those two teams. But what's unfortunate for them is they didn't play well down the stretch, they only have 18 wins and their RPI is north of 60 now. I think all those things put together are going to be too much for that stretch of schedule to overcome and they're going to end up being in the WNIT."

• Purdue did not put in a bid for hosting the WNIT, so if it's that tournament, the Boilermakers will be on the road. First-round games are Wednesday-Friday next week.

• Lamina Cooper is back in school following her illness - she had missed 2-3 weeks of classwork - but will not play the remainder of the season. The plan is for her to resume workouts then after.

Central Michigan winning today is probably good in a couple ways: It keeps the Chipps as a top-25 win for Purdue and gives them the auto bid. I don't see the MAC getting two teams, even though Creme has Buffalo as an at-large.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT