ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue hires mid-major coach from South Alabama to lead soccer program

Nov 23, 2023
Not sure what to make of this hire. Want to be optimistic for the program but I'm not sure his recent success in the SunBelt Conference will translate to the B1G. Coaching against the likes of UCLA, USC, PSU, MSU, etc, etc. is a far cry from Troy, Texas State, Arkansas State, etc. His prior coaching experience was at Carson-Newman U which I had never heard of before.

Bobo doesn't exactly have a great track record in his Olympic and Non-Revenue sport hires so I can only be so optimistic. 😬

My guess is the soccer transfer portal is gonna get quite active.

Reactions: DocRon
True. But then, what coach would come to a program that has not won any conference games in the last two years.

Here is hoping that he is an undiscovered gem but it will be a long rebuild I think.

I doubt he was the first choice. BUT, maybe he can be another Joe Tiller -- who was Morgan's second choice after Bob Davie turned us down. And wasn't Brohm plan B after Butch Jones turned us down (or was it Hazell)?!

Reactions: DocRon
I doubt he was the first choice. BUT, maybe he can be another Joe Tiller -- who was Morgan's second choice after Bob Davie turned us down. And wasn't Brohm plan B after Butch Jones turned us down (or was it Hazell)?!
But those were revenue hires, football specifically that pays nearly all the AD bills. Bobinski has a history of hiring someone easy to land and not putting any effort into the non-revenue sports and content to let them sink or swim without needing his involvement. He is a far cry from Morgan Burke.

Reactions: Boileriffic
I'm hearing they were trying to get the Xavier coach (Nate Lie) but Bobinski would not pay him what he wanted. Kansas did...and so they got him. Purdue must settle for a cheaper date.

• Sad
Reactions: MichaelRR
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT