ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue goes cold in final 5:27 and is outscored 14-4 by Huskers

destewart

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2001
in dropping 67-61 decision on the road in Lincoln. Adding insult to injury were the 29 points scored
by Nebraska freshman Leighga Brown of DeKalb, In. The product of the same high school as Purdue All American Machelle Joseph was the leading scorer in the Boilermaker’s second loss this season to the 6-7 Huskers. Purdue led all but four minutes of the game until the losing minutes when they went ice cold scoring just one FG in final 5:27. Brown outscored both of Purdue’s leading scorers, Harris and MacLaughlin who combined for 26 points.

in dropping 67-61 decision on the road in Lincoln. Adding insult to injury were the 29 points scored
by Nebraska freshman Leighga Brown of DeKalb, In. The product of the same high school as Purdue All American Machelle Joseph was the leading scorer in the Boilermaker’s second loss this season to the 6-7 Huskers. Purdue led all but four minutes of the game until the losing minutes when they went ice cold scoring just one FG in final 5:27. Brown outscored both of Purdue’s leading scorers, Harris and MacLaughlin who combined for 26 points.
Do you know if she turned down a Purdue offer or was ignored by SV?

When do we ever hear anything about Wbb recruiting anymore. It’s a better kept secret than tomrrow’s Indiana lottery winning numbers.

A truly painful loss after leading for 36 mins. Up one with under two, MCGlaoghlin missed a wide open layup for a 3 pt lead which turned the game. This team will be a NIT team unless it wins 3 pf next 4 and at least two in BTT. This would have put them in a strong spot to finish in top 4 and get the double bye. They could have done it and just did not. Brown for Neb went wild on 3's and we had no answer. Too bad. This team has had murder close losses to Rutgers, MSU and now Nebraska.

Team will be tons better next season, however, the program is just a ghost of itself these days. Let's be honest, College women's hoops is about 4 or 5 teams and the best of the rest every year, as least with the men's games older teams have a chance at long tourney runs, in the women's game it never happens because great players stay all 4 years.

She seems to have flown under the radar as her offer list was: Xavier, Belmont, IUPUI, Western Michigan, American University, Indiana State, Georgia Southern, Grand Valley State & the University of Indianapolis.

One game does not a player make. That other Nebraska girl who killed us when they beat us here did little. Often the winner of these games revolve on someone getting hot. Like our dreadful Wisconsin loss, who even got blitzed by Illinois. They just hit a spate of 3's in the third quarter and nipped us. We have done that to others too. By the way, Wilby is showing some long range acumen. The rest of this season and the BTT will be a war. Only MD, which blasted Rutgers, seems a cut above, tho Iowa is peaking as no one has an answer for their center. Everyone else, except Il and Wisc, can beat anyone. Our lack of depth may bite us in the tourney, but we also will be a super experienced team that has played together a lot. Often comes down to certain plays. If Mc hits that layup, the game last night maybe goes our way. Same with the MSU game. etc.

One game does not a player make. That other Nebraska girl who killed us when they beat us here did little. Often the winner of these games revolve on someone getting hot. Like our dreadful Wisconsin loss, who even got blitzed by Illinois. They just hit a spate of 3's in the third quarter and nipped us. We have done that to others too. By the way, Wilby is showing some long range acumen. The rest of this season and the BTT will be a war. Only MD, which blasted Rutgers, seems a cut above, tho Iowa is peaking as no one has an answer for their center. Everyone else, except Il and Wisc, can beat anyone. Our lack of depth may bite us in the tourney, but we also will be a super experienced team that has played together a lot. Often comes down to certain plays. If Mc hits that layup, the game last night maybe goes our way. Same with the MSU game. etc.
Just a reminder that we held Gustafson to 19 in our victory over Iowa in Mackey although she got 25 in the rematch. So both times we "held" her below her avg of 27+ pig. So we have a little bit of "an answer" to her but she is very imposing. I would much rather face them in the tournament than Rutgers or Maryland.

Hard to explain how Nebraska's Brown could be such a world-beater in this game when she is pretty ordinary overall (10+ ppg). You keep thinking someone who comes out that hot will cool off but she only got hotter. But on an afternoon that both Oden and McLaughlin had poor games (combined 9 of 26 FG's and 1 of 8 at the 3 pt line) you really cannot expect to win.

Agree, we crumpled down the stretch. Always wonder if the minutes are eating us up. That's two straight el foldos at the end of games we could have won. Yes, Brown an anomaly. Anyone but MD. Rather Rutgers than Iowa because we just can't much stop Gustafason enough. As I said, I think we need to win all but MD and win two in the BTT for the Dance and prob an impossible 8/9 seed. How's that for being optimistic :)

Agree, we crumpled down the stretch. Always wonder if the minutes are eating us up. That's two straight el foldos at the end of games we could have won. Yes, Brown an anomaly. Anyone but MD. Rather Rutgers than Iowa because we just can't much stop Gustafason enough. As I said, I think we need to win all but MD and win two in the BTT for the Dance and prob an impossible 8/9 seed. How's that for being optimistic :)
This team has surprised me before (many times). I can hope for the best.

Hmmm! Indiana high school girl scores 53 points and gets a triple double in season’s first two games and
she’s an anomaly? Maybe we’re spending too much time in Georgia!
https://www.wane.com/news/dekalb-basketball-standout-leigha-brown-signs-with-nebraska/1035584732

Hmmm! Indiana high school girl scores 53 points and gets a triple double in season’s first two games and
she’s an anomaly? Maybe we’re spending too much time in Georgia!
https://www.wane.com/news/dekalb-basketball-standout-leigha-brown-signs-with-nebraska/1035584732
Des, would you rather have her or Dominique Oden? I do not see anyone else on the roster for whom we recruited Georgia. (I am sure you know that Whilby was a transfer here.) So your comment about Georgia does not make much sense to me.

Obviously Brown was a "miss" if she continues to shoot like she did in our game. But she has been inconsistent throughout this season, despite averaging a little over 10 ppg, with some really hot games and others where she disappeared. Not unusual for a freshman.

I also notice no one else in the B1G recruited her. So not a "stupid" miss.

Des, would you rather have her or Dominique Oden? I do not see anyone else on the roster for whom we recruited Georgia. (I am sure you know that Whilby was a transfer here.) So your comment about Georgia does not make much sense to me.

Obviously Brown was a "miss" if she continues to shoot like she did in our game. But she has been inconsistent throughout this season, despite averaging a little over 10 ppg, with some really hot games and others where she disappeared. Not unusual for a freshman.

When you follow wbb recruiting closely you will recognize we have had lots of distant failures and failed to maintain control of the home turf. We have three scorers on this team and you make excuses for a coach who has continuously whiffed. Was she hired to create a culture of close but no cigar, or was she brought in to sustain a 20 year record of wbb Excellence?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigohh
When you follow wbb recruiting closely you will recognize we have had lots of distant failures and failed to maintain control of the home turf. We have three scorers on this team and you make excuses for a coach who has continuously whiffed. Was she hired to create a culture of close but no cigar, or was she brought in to sustain a 20 year record of wbb
Excellence?
Well you are correct, I do not follow WBB recruiting at all unless it involves Purdue and even then, pretty much at a distance. But you made a point that we were "spending too much time in Georgia" which had nothing to do (as far as I can see) with why we were not in the game for Brown.

Now in your reply to me we are back to bashing Versyp (with Bigohh predictably chiming in.) It gets tiring. But it's a free country.

Reactions: kmot

Andreona Keys, Bree Horrocks and Miracle Gray were all from Georgia. I loved Keys, but the others had little to no impact .
Oden may be the only Georgia player presently on the roster, but we’ve had plenty.

Well you are correct, I do not follow WBB recruiting at all unless it involves Purdue and even then, pretty much at a distance. But you made a point that we were "spending too much time in Georgia" which had nothing to do (as far as I can see) with why we were not in the game for Brown.

Now in your reply to me we are back to bashing Versyp (with Bigohh predictably chiming in.) It gets tiring. But it's a free country.

Nobody needs to bash Versyp. There’s an old saying the performance commands respect. This year there were no excuses. No serious injuries . No midsession player departures. Her program. Her players. Nebraska, a .500 team in Big agent comes to town and beats Purdue by 20 on their court. Minnesota, a middle of the pack team with a new coach comes into our house and walks out with the second 20 point loss in two weeks. Just what criteria do you use to evaluate the performance of a longtime coach Dr Ron?

Last edited:
Andreona Keys, Bree Horrocks and Miracle Gray were all from Georgia. I loved Keys, but the others had little to no impact .
Oden may be the only Georgia player presently on the roster, but we’ve had plenty.

Not very defensible now .
After today, it is obvious what must be done. Really pathetic. There appears to be no offense except trying to feed the post. Teams have scouted Purdue after the first few conference games and know there are players who will not shoot anything but layups or very short jumpers. McLaughlin and Oden are never open for uncontested shots. Our opponents have shooters who are always open for uncontested shots.

Nobody needs to bash Versyp. There’s an old saying the performance commands respect. This year there were no excuses. No serious injuries . No midsession player departures. Her program. Her players. Nebraska, a .500 team in Big agent comes to town and beats Purdue by 20 on their court. Minnesota, a middle of the pack team with a new coach comes into our house and walks out with the second 20 point loss in two weeks. Just what criteria do you use to evaluate the performance of a longtime coach Dr Ron?
I have written before that I was okay with making a coaching change IF we had a new coach who could upgrade the program. I just didn't hear of anyone in the speculations I have read which, in my opinion, made that likely.

You are correct, Des. Our 4th quarter fades in the last two games have been very discouraging. I will shed no tears if Versyp is gone after this season (and I have written that before). But I doubt Bobinski will make that move.

Regardless I will continue to not bad-mouth and be derisive about these young women. I am sure the last two games have been painful for them too.

I have written before that I was okay with making a coaching change IF we had a new coach who could upgrade the program. I just didn't hear of anyone in the speculations I have read which, in my opinion, made that likely.

You are correct, Des. Our 4th quarter fades in the last two games have been very discouraging. I will shed no tears if Versyp is gone after this season (and I have written that before). But I doubt Bobinski will make that move.

Regardless I will continue to not bad-mouth and be derisive about these young women. I am sure the last two games have been painful for them too.

Yes minn was attacking and driving and we were dribbling around, thus stomped by
Team we beat Handily 2 weeks ago
On their court. Bad.

According to the AD’s stated expectations for this season, he has to be taking notice. There are clearly talented coaches out there. Take a look at the teams in the top 15- there are clearly new faces that weren’t there 5 years ago. It’s clear Versyp isn’t capable of turning this mess around.

Reactions: SKYDOG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT