ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue Fans Thoughts On IU-PU

It will lose its luster a little if indinia loses to Maryland tonight. Hopefully, they won’t lay a turd before their super bowl on Saturday
I'm hoping the same. Who knows what Maryland team will show up and who knows what Indiana team will show up. Would be another good Q1 win.

And I feel like it's been awhile since we have beaten a #1 team... I think the last time #1 was even at Assembly Hall was against Michigan in 2013.

Don't really care about iu as a team. They are pretty good I guess?

If it wasn't having to live in Southern IN surrounded by obnoxious jerkwad iu fans who are insufersble when iu wins, I could care less about them. But it is great when Purdue wins as it shuts them up until Summer.....when magically they somehow become the best team & have the best recruits in the league.

I hope Purdue wins and Ethan Morton does a tap dance on the iu logo at half court like Todd Foster did. That upset iu nation. It was beautiful and hilarious. Then the next year, after Purdue kicked iu's ass again as Ass Hall, the iu cheerleaders created a circle around the logo after the game. C'mon man.
Funny about Morton - I feel like he is the dude that goes off and hits 3 3's and so does Jenkins with 3-4

Reactions: Do Dah Day
We live in a culture where nobody cares about what happened over 5 years ago. Any civil war buffs out there? Anybody want to talk about viet nam? Or the riots of 68? The typical answer is that was before I was born. Yes it was, but just because something happened before you were born doesn’t make it less important.

And so it is with the Purdue / IU rivalry. Nobody cares what happened 5 years ago. Nobody cares much about what happened last year either.
You missed the thread with the great discussion about Gettysburg.

I believe it’s a great rivalry and will be a close game. I doubt anybody else cares except the fans of Houston or alabama hoping that Purdue will lose.

You do know Indiana is tied for 3rd and the only other team ranked in Top 25 from the B1G right? Yea Indiana dropped 3 games after a second starter went down. They've bounced back quite nicely and surprisingly, though have a huge game tonight.

Here's the funny thing, I bet when Indiana came to Purdue ranked 24th in February of 2007.. I bet Mackey was rocking and the rivalry was still alive and great right? Even though Indiana had won 5 straight and had won 11 of 13... Lol. The rivalry is only dead because Purdue has been winning? Is that like the little brother beating the big brother in video games finally?
I will not listen to injury excuses and explanations from a member of a fanbase that declares Painter a poor coach because he has not made a Final Four. The Hummel and Haas injuries derailed realistic FF probabilities. So if Purdue does not get the injury excuse for their record, IU doesn't either.

You can't have it both ways,

If it wasn't having to live in Southern IN surrounded by obnoxious jerkwad iu fans who are insufersble when iu wins, I could care less about them. But it is great when Purdue wins as it shuts them up until Summer.....when magically they somehow become the best team & have the best recruits in the league.

Their fan base is something else! Hoosier alum at work had been very quiet and said he basically "lost interest" in the rest of the season just a couple weeks back when they were getting destroyed

Now he's talking mad sht daily, super puffy chested suddenly again. Not sure if there is a more "fair weather" fan base...at least around the Midwest

You missed the thread with the great discussion about Gettysburg.
I didn’t miss it . There were 2-3 people commenting on it and then they started talking about hunting and dogs! That’s not what I consider talking about the civil war!

• Haha
Reactions: BoilerAndy
Funny abo

ut Morton - I feel like he is the dude that goes off and hits 3 3's and so does Jenkins with 3-4F

A few years ago, Wheeler couldn't buy a 3 then he comes into Ass Hall and I think he hit 3. I think either Loyer or Gillis goes off from deep against iu. Loyer has shown to have ice water in his veins in some really tough road environments and I think he's looking forward to playing in Ass Hall and the crowd riding him.
Gillis will just be his usual bass ass self but he's due to get hot from 3.

To me the luster of this game is only created by the fan bases. It just doesn't have the national power it once had. I recall this being a game where it wasn't just local. IU has been such mess for so long and Purdue has maintained stability, but with that. I think this was a national game, because IU had such a huge brand under Knight and we loved the match-up, as it gave us a shot to knock them off their high horse. We have maintained a winning atmosphere and CMP has created something IU hasn't touched for a while. The brand has shifted and now IU is treating this as we once did.

A few years ago, Wheeler couldn't buy a 3 then he comes into Ass Hall and I think he hit 3. I think either Loyer or Gillis goes off from deep against iu. Loyer has shown to have ice water in his veins in some really tough road environments and I think he's looking forward to playing in Ass Hall and the crowd riding him.
Don’t tease me about a Loyer going off. I do feel like he shoots better on the road so it wouldn’t surprise me to watch him drop a 20 piece on IU.

I'm hoping the same. Who knows what Maryland team will show up and who knows what Indiana team will show up. Would be another good Q1 win.

And I feel like it's been awhile since we have beaten a #1 team... I think the last time #1 was even at Assembly Hall was against Michigan in 2013.
Purdue needs to beat PSU since that is the most important game right now. Whatever team Purdue beats or loses it is but one game and although Purdue wants to win them all, it is most important that Purdue keep improving and gathering wins along the way and win the season long Big to add to their list of Big Championships as a pecking order for the Big teams playing against each other and not other teams ahnd selected.

Being number one certainly brings the opponents best shot…the super bowl game for all opponents and going to Bloomington to play the fourth game in 9 days may have a bit of fatigue factor for all the youth Purdue has.

I recall one year Jesus Christ took his team of 12 down there and Peter was in foul trouble the whole game. Paul soon followed after, and ended up writing several articles about his personal experience at different areas of the court trying not to get injured running into a gentile with his feet sticking over the side-line while holding the devil’s pitchfork.

The other team members ended up disfigured, except for John. John was there until the end and although he baptized one, there were many more with the devil’s pitchfork. THAT devil’s den is more deadly than the Devil’s Den at the foot of Little Roundtop was. Still, the Boilers will show up in that hell hole and make a game of it against all the evil forces contained in the Hall, but for now PSU is much more important.

• Love
Reactions: Woodsa

My sister a Butler grad in Columbus sees it all the time. When I go to Columbus I many times have on a Purdue shirt in case someone is stuck on a word or just needs someone to confess to...

@IMSKRONG - what’s the deal with Leal? I thought it was injury or is he basically transferring at this point?
Honestly I think he's kind of happy right now where he is. I think he knew coming in he was a 5 year player. Which is fine by me. Maybe next year or year #5 he will be ready. He's definitely got the IQ but not sure he quite has the foot speed but I'm not sure. Right now he's just stuck behind Hood-Schifino, Bates, Galloway, Kopp, Banks and Gunn.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
To me the luster of this game is only created by the fan bases. It just doesn't have the national power it once had. I recall this being a game where it wasn't just local. IU has been such mess for so long and Purdue has maintained stability, but with that. I think this was a national game, because IU had such a huge brand under Knight and we loved the match-up, as it gave us a shot to knock them off their high horse. We have maintained a winning atmosphere and CMP has created something IU hasn't touched for a while. The brand has shifted and now IU is treating this as we once did.
It just hasn't been much fun since Knight left. He and Gene made a battle out of the game.

Reactions: Poprudy
Don’t tease me about a Loyer going off. I do feel like he shoots better on the road so it wouldn’t surprise me to watch him drop a 20 piece on IU.
20 is a lot. I'm guessing around 13, but would love to see 20 since we know IU has him circled.

Shut it TJ - go back to your boomer bird murderer thread. This is a thread for men who live in the 21st century. (TIC)
Actually it ties into IU since Knight shot a friend while bird hunting

Last edited:
I was a freshman when IU came into Mackey in 1992 to win a BigTen Championship and grab a #1 seed in the NCAA. They had beat us by like 50 or something insane in Bloomington and it was an obvious blood bath in the making. Nope, Woody Austin shot lights out, Mackey was LOUD and Purdue pulled the upset. It's a rivalry game, which honestly favors the underdog more-than-not. ESPN is saying IU has a "55% Chance" of winning this one.

Penn State first, take care of business but Matt Painter was on the court that day so I can imagine Painter will share the war stories with the team. Throw out the ranking and records and focus on the game plan and your job. Leave all the emotion at the door and just execute.
I took my 15 year old son to that game. He ended up playing mid-major D-1 ... behind us were four IU assholes with a huge sign that they kept holding up so no one behind them could see the court. It came close to fisticuffs more than once. Their language was asshole, their actions were asshole ... and they got asshole right back as they carried their sign down the aisle with a minute to go.

Let’s be honest. The rivalry was tremendous in the 80’s and 90’s, but hasn’t been the same since. It’s been fun, but the intensity is not the same.

That said, I think that Assembly Hall will be as fired up for Saturday’s game as ever. For this season, it might just be the top rivalry game in all of college basketball with Purdue at #1 and IU playing their best ball in several years.

I am married to an IU grad and watch most of the IU games. They have a very good team that is peaking right now. I think it’s going to be a great game and has a good chance of coming down to the last possession.

If IU wins, the court will be stormed. If Purdue wins, it will be one angry crowd.
Good post, it’s not the same like it used to be, IU being good again would help it. Also, Duke and NC probably have about 7 National Titles since IU last won one, those things matter.

Reactions: Poprudy
So obviously everyone always says Duke-UNC is the best rivalry in college basketball. Personally, I think it's IU-PU and maybe I'm biased but I don't care. Yes, Purdue has dominated as of late, BUT, over the last 25 seasons Purdue leads 25-20. Now... Compare that to other big rivalries...

Duke leads North Carolina 36-24
Kentucky leads Louisville 18-9
Xavier leads Cincinnati 17-8

So to me, I say it is just crappy bias.

Which also brings me to another point...

HOW RIDICULOUS IS IT THAT GAMEDAY IS NOT IN BLOOMINGTON ON SATURDAY?????????????????

#1 Purdue travels to #21 and what does ESPN choose? Unranked Duke vs Unranked North Carolina.... ESPN a little salty about the Big Ten leaving them out of the media deal maybe?

Anyways, what are your thoughts on the rivalry and ESPN choosing that crap over the IU-PU game?
ESPN has been a shill for the ACC for years & that's not going to change with the new B1G TV rights in which ESPN has no part of.

I cannot imagine living there. I have to go there for Holiday Dinners and their asshole fans never ignored a chance to belittle and demean me.

So obviously everyone always says Duke-UNC is the best rivalry in college basketball. Personally, I think it's IU-PU and maybe I'm biased but I don't care. Yes, Purdue has dominated as of late, BUT, over the last 25 seasons Purdue leads 25-20. Now... Compare that to other big rivalries...

Duke leads North Carolina 36-24
Kentucky leads Louisville 18-9
Xavier leads Cincinnati 17-8

So to me, I say it is just crappy bias.

Which also brings me to another point...

HOW RIDICULOUS IS IT THAT GAMEDAY IS NOT IN BLOOMINGTON ON SATURDAY?????????????????

#1 Purdue travels to #21 and what does ESPN choose? Unranked Duke vs Unranked North Carolina.... ESPN a little salty about the Big Ten leaving them out of the media deal maybe?

Anyways, what are your thoughts on the rivalry and ESPN choosing that crap over the IU-PU game?
Let's not look past Penn State. Talk about IU afterwards.

Since indinia is 3-5 against q1 teams, they will probably lose tonight

I cannot imagine living there. I have to go there for Holiday Dinners and their asshole fans never ignored a chance to belittle and demean me.
It is hard to be around a group of demented people that have never been inside a classroom, let alone a good classroom come out from under the rocks and only now express full support for that which was embarrassing to them previously. However, they do. Somehow in their feeble minds they think by living in this state the have a tie to IU and its success whatever it may be, sustains their purpose in life. I have much more respect for those that supported IU football over the years.

Court will get stormed and people will complain. Personally I think the students should storm it after every win, sing the fight song with the team and cheerleaders and go drink some more. But we can only hope for a great game... Maybe I'm in the minority thinking it'll be about 15 in favor of Purdue.
Maybe 3 points max

Making the Final 4 and competing for the National Championship is more important

than any in-state rivalry. Any in-state rivalry usually means more to the underdog

in the grand scheme of things.

like last year, IU might play brilliantly in this one game and for a brief moment attempt to reignite the old rivalry, but until they reach a level of consistency, nobody nationally will care.

Last edited:
Well said…
I have to believe that this will be a coming out party for one or more of our potent contingent of Indiana kids— they’ll relish the opportunity to stick it to Indinia!!!

ADVERTISEMENT