ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue falls on game-winner by No. 20 Maryland

Disappointing loss for sure. But if you’d told me before the game we’d lose by only 3 points against the #20 team I’d have been pretty happy. That said, they had this game in their hands and fumbled it away. Too many TO’s and sloppy play. Gotta tighten that up. CKG needs to get in some grills and make that a point of emphasis

The issue is… she is too concerned about being a “players coach” to call them out on it. Or better yet bench the players she has deemed her favorites. Layden being one of them. No way she should be playing the minutes she has been considering her lazy unmotivated play. She needs to reassess if she really wants to play high level basketball anymore or if her body can even handle it. She is a complete liability out there and KG is willingly playing her 30+ min every night. Time for KG to get tough with this team. This sloppy play is inexcusable

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
We probably all remember Nell taking their uniforms….the types of turnovers lately are inexcusable.

The issue is… she is too concerned about being a “players coach” to call them out on it. Or better yet bench the players she has deemed her favorites. Layden being one of them. No way she should be playing the minutes she has been considering her lazy unmotivated play. She needs to reassess if she really wants to play high level basketball anymore or if her body can even handle it. She is a complete liability out there and KG is willingly playing her 30+ min every night. Time for KG to get tough with this team. This sloppy play is inexcusable
Layden at point is a failed experiment, but KG can't or won't see that. I think that's the biggest problem with Layden's okay this year. Hardin and probably Harper need to go to the bench before Layden does, but you are right about one thing our coach plays favorites in spite of what pt players they earn with their play IMO

Just got to watch the game this morning. Dang what a heartbreaking loss. It was a fun game to watch though. The turnovers do get frustrating at times. This team is so close to becoming a good team and being a force in the Big Ten.

Maybe the coaches can use this loss to get the message across that you have to value EVERY possession. If they could just reduce the turnover by 25%, they win this game easily and are probably victorious in their other loss as well.

I love seeing all the traffic on the board here during and after the game. It means that Coach Gearlds is rekindling the interest in the program. I could do without the stupid posts by 1 or two people though. I was also encouraged by what seemed like an enthusiastic crowd inside Mackey.

Just got to watch the game this morning. Dang what a heartbreaking loss. It was a fun game to watch though. The turnovers do get frustrating at times. This team is so close to becoming a good team and being a force in the Big Ten.

Maybe the coaches can use this loss to get the message across that you have to value EVERY possession. If they could just reduce the turnover by 25%, they win this game easily and are probably victorious in their other loss as well.

I love seeing all the traffic on the board here during and after the game. It means that Coach Gearlds is rekindling the interest in the program. I could do without the stupid posts by 1 or two people though. I was also encouraged by what seemed like an enthusiastic crowd inside Mackey.
This team just needs to stop the silly, odd, weird, strange, crazy, dumb turnovers. Many are just with no reason and unforced. Then the players act like it's no big deal when it happens. Reminds me of many of the SV teams. The Michigan State game was doubly painful to watch since both teams were guilty. That said, I see flashes of brilliance with this team. They do some good things in many other areas. Handle the ball better and we could be a really good team in the coming months.

Go Boilers!

Reactions: JeffBoiler

Purdue is still a player or two away from being upper echelon. I do hope Ellis and Terry return for the Covid year next season, both real nice players. Layden is scuffling, time for her to maybe play 20-25 minutes instead of over 30, might help her. Also, Harper who has a year remaining is probably best suited as a 6/7th player on a top level Big Ten team, she’s a very smart player but she’s pretty slow.

I am not thrilled with all the turnovers either, but except for a few elite teams awful turnovers and many of them are standards of woman's basketball

I am not thrilled with all the turnovers either, but except for a few elite teams awful turnovers and many of them are standards of woman's basketball
Agreed, however, many last night were because of lazy passes that a player could probably get away with against lesser teams, good/Athletic teams like Maryland won’t let that happen. I hate to keep harping on it but Layden was the main culprit, off shooting nights happen, sometimes a bad pass happens, lazy/lethargic plays shouldn’t happen, I’m sure she knows this.

I am not a BB coach and don't know why who gets to play but as a casual observer I have never been excited about Laydens game. She seems slow, can't jump well is not a shot maker. Ecery so often she gets hot from outside but certainly not consistently. Yet, I am not the coaches and they must know more than I do. Seems seems like a great kid

“Matador defense” - like our FB secondary! Lol. Unfortunately true for both teams
In both cases is due to inferior athleticism and is only exposed when we play to level competition. These are the kinds of issues you don't see playing a very weak schedule and makes fans and inexperienced coaches think that everything is working to plan. More experienced coaches know the little things to look for and are more likely to admit something they planned isn't working the way they thought it would.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
In both cases is due to inferior athleticism and is only exposed when we play to level competition. These are the kinds of issues you don't see playing a very weak schedule and makes fans and inexperienced coaches think that everything is working to plan. More experienced coaches know the little things to look for and are more likely to admit something they planned isn't working the way they thought it would.
Yes Michael.....we know you are smarter than Coach Gearlds and the rest of us dummies. Lol.

I am not a BB coach and don't know why who gets to play but as a casual observer I have never been excited about Laydens game. She seems slow, can't jump well is not a shot maker. Ecery so often she gets hot from outside but certainly not consistently. Yet, I am not the coaches and they must know more than I do. Seems seems like a great kid
Agreed, on a elite team she’s a 7/8th in the rotation type of player, you nailed it, she’s not a great athlete. It’s a tribute to her that at this level she’s starting for a Big Ten team and for the most part is pretty solid.

Reactions: MichaelRR
Yes Michael.....we know you are smarter than Coach Gearlds and the rest of us dummies. Lol.

And now we wait to see if DocRon will call out anyone other than me for being insulting....... I'm laying 5-1 Doc won't say anything because he doesn't have the courage of his "convictions" except against an "outsider"

I was disappointed that they didn't use a foul on the last possession. KG even told them in the huddle that they had 2 fouls to give.

ADVERTISEMENT