ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue College Visit Sep 1-2; Food and …. ?

Apr 1, 2008
My hs kid considering applying to Purdue this fall. We’re flying in to Indianapolis late morning on Sept 1 and will get to campus in time for a late lunch.

Dumb luck that the PSU game is that night and we may try to go to that.

Any recommendations for a good lunch, dinner (if we don’t go to the game) and things nearby that are worth seeing ?

Triple X is a diner on Chauncey Hill area that’s a campus institution. I was never a huge fan but it’s probably best for breakfast.

Walking across the pedestrian bridge over the river is a nice way to see the downtown Lafayette area and get off campus to see what else is around. Lots of restaurants there too.

Lafayette Brewing Company is good and, if it’s still there, La Scala Italian food.

Thete has been a lot of apartment construction on the SE side of campus. Fairly unrecognizable compared to 15 years ago with all the huge luxury apartments going up.

My hs kid considering applying to Purdue this fall. We’re flying in to Indianapolis late morning on Sept 1 and will get to campus in time for a late lunch.

Dumb luck that the PSU game is that night and we may try to go to that.

Any recommendations for a good lunch, dinner (if we don’t go to the game) and things nearby that are worth seeing ?
Something I’d recommend is eating at a dining hall. It’s not the greatest food, but I do believe they are impressive facilities and would give your kid an idea of where they would spend a decent amount of time their freshman year.

I would also recommend a tour of the co-rec. If your kid is at all into sports/fitness, this is a relatively new facility. I know I’m jealous every time I go by it.

In terms of buildings, I think the Union is a must-see. They just renovated it and I am excited to see it for the first time that weekend.

Armstrong Hall is also very impressive. So is Wilmeth (WALC). It’s the new central library.

Even if you don’t go to the game, I’d recommend going to Slaytor Hill about 1.5 hrs before kickoff. That’s the main tailgating area and the band gives a pregame concert. It’d be good to get a sense of the atmosphere.

What is your kid thinking about studying?
Do you have a formal campus tour lined up?

Reactions: PumpkinShuckers07
Thanks all. Looking on-line It seems the formal tours don’t start until the following week. So we will be hoofing it solo.

Am not sure if the dining halls will be open yet either, but i figure all universities have the same crap food (not that I cared back in the day)

You should definitely go to the game. That's a unique part of the college experience and if your kid is into sports, going to the football, basketball, etc is part of what going to a P5 school is about.

Last edited:
Full disclosure guys: wife and I are Rutgers grads. I'm a diehard RU fan. That's how I know of this site. Son and I are big CFB and CBB fans and he wants a P5 school. We were at THE basketball game last winter.

Whether or not you consider RU a real P5 school (ha ha), I do understand that he wants to do his own thing and not feel obligated to go where his folks went. I'd even let him go to PSU or ND if that were his passion but he ID'd Purdue and Illinois as interests so we're visiting both from Th-Sun.

And I'd treasure him joining me at RU games with him repping the other school he may attend, which would mostly only happen if he goes Big10.

He doesn't know specifically what he wants to major in, but probably in the science realm.

BTW...my favorite stadium sound I've experienced so far is the Vandy foghorn (Commodores!) RU road win in 2004 beating Cutler. Do you have a train whistle stadium sound ?

Do you have a train whistle stadium sound ?
They do.

I think Ross-Ade is a nice stadium. You can get north EZ seats pretty cheaply too.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm a lifelong IU guy, but I went to PU for grad school. I had a great time there. Although I think anyone can have a great time at pretty much any college if they want to.

Also, even though you've got the natural Rutgers hate of PSU, that is by far the most fun campus I ever spent much time in. I went once in the summer for a week of work and I went once for a football game. Just an outstanding party school if your son is into that sort of thing.

We may try to squeeze in IU as well, more for me to see Assembly Hall than for him. I have a tough time with The General in how he carried himself. Too big for his britches, as the saying goes. Most coaches have big egos but also some humility. But not RMK.

I was at the (only) Rutgers win v PSU in '88, but don't remember a thing about that campus except that I slept somewhere outside that night, if you know what I mean.

Yes, there's a lot of all-things-PSU hate on the RU boards related to Paterno/Sandusky/Spanier but that doesn't detract from the academic quality, etc or even the football team all these years later. It's obviously a jealousy thing. My son doesn't seem interested in PSU though. Too close to home maybe.

Slaytor Hill sounds like a good time. Will do that.

Assuming we get into town by 2, get lunch and then will get to campus to walk around for a few hours, go the game, etc.....any ideas were one can park for 10 hrs ? Are there parking garages ?

Slaytor Hill sounds like a good time. Will do that.

Assuming we get into town by 2, get lunch and then will get to campus to walk around for a few hours, go the game, etc.....any ideas were one can park for 10 hrs ? Are there parking garages ?
there's a garage right across the street from the Student Union plus other garages around campus. I'd look at the campus map online to get a sense of where the best location for you.

Reactions: PumpkinShuckers07
Full disclosure guys: wife and I are Rutgers grads. I'm a diehard RU fan. That's how I know of this site. Son and I are big CFB and CBB fans and he wants a P5 school. We were at THE basketball game last winter.

Whether or not you consider RU a real P5 school (ha ha), I do understand that he wants to do his own thing and not feel obligated to go where his folks went. I'd even let him go to PSU or ND if that were his passion but he ID'd Purdue and Illinois as interests so we're visiting both from Th-Sun.

And I'd treasure him joining me at RU games with him repping the other school he may attend, which would mostly only happen if he goes Big10.

He doesn't know specifically what he wants to major in, but probably in the science realm.

BTW...my favorite stadium sound I've experienced so far is the Vandy foghorn (Commodores!) RU road win in 2004 beating Cutler. Do you have a train whistle stadium sound ?
This will answer your train horn question....

ADVERTISEMENT