ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue beats iu 3-1 in volleyball

Boilermb

True Freshman
Jun 26, 2001
Indiana won the first set easily 25-18. Purdue was never really in it. Then things turned around and Purdue breezed to 3 straight set wins 25-15, 25-10 and 25-13 to win the match. Raven Colvin had a big day, 12 kills and 8 blocks. Maddy Chinn also had another good day, 8 kills and 7 blocks. Purdue’s back row played very well the last 3 sets, while Purdue kept iu’s defense on their heels the last 3 sets.

Last edited:
Indiana won the first set easily 25-18. Purdue was never really in it. Then things turned around and Purdue breezed to 3 straight set wins 25-15, 25-10 and 25-13 to win the match. Raven Colvin had a big day, 12 kills and 8 blocks. Maddy Chin also had another good day, 8 kills and 7 blocks. Purdue’s back row played very well the last 3 sets, while Purdue kept iu’s defense on their heels the last 3 sets.
Yep. We looked completely out of it the first set, then woke up and dominated the last three. Shondell said setter Meghan Renner played “probably her best match of the year” and Kyle picked Chinn as the player of the game.

The serve/recieve that had been pretty awful against Northwestern and in the first set today suddenly returned to excellence in the last 3 sets, despite IU having a reputation of being good in that area. We had 17 blocks for the match compared to IU’S 4. And after committing 8 errors in the first set, we only had 4 TOTAL in the last three sets hitting 0.374 for the match.

Mady Saris, IU’S best player, was held to only 8 kills (corrected - I think they changed it this AM) for the match.

Kyle said on the radio broadcast that Dave had a stern talk with Raven Colvin after the Northwestern game (which surprised me) but as you said, she sure did well today.

Of note is that Balensiefer and Koch only played in one set. Obviously Shondell is saying that you need to produce to be placed in the rotations.

Last edited:
Yep. We looked completely out of it the first set, then woke up and dominated the last three. Shondell said setter Meghan Renner played “probably her best match of the year” and Kyle picked Chinn as the player of the game.

The serve/recieve that had been pretty awful against Northwestern and in the first set today suddenly returned to excellence in the last 3 sets, despite IU having a reputation of being good in that area. We had 17 blocks for the match compared to IU’S 4. And after committing 8 errors in the first set, we only had 4 TOTAL in the last three sets hitting 0.374 for the match.

Mady Saris, IU’S best player, was held to only 7 kills for the match.

Kyle said on the radio broadcast that Dave had a stern talk with Raven Colvin after the Northwestern game (which surprised me) but as you said, she sure did well today.

Of note is that Balensiefer and Koch only played in one set. Obviously Shondell is saying that you need to produce to be placed in the rotations.

Reactions: DocRon
Maddy Chinn played her best game as a Boilermaker. If she finishes her senior season like today's game, that will increase the Boilermaker chances in the NCAA tournament greatly! :)
I saw Chinn play quite a few times in Aau and HS, I am a big fan. That said, I have (until now privately) nicknamed her Maddy Tipin And have been a proponent for Ellis/Koch because they are much harder swingers. Ellis tends to be wild long, especially on out of system balls And when she misses a couple she gets her head down.

Chinn cut the ball very nicely and had a couple hard swings against NW and for sure had her best match against IU. It was somewhat reminiscent of the way she played in HS. I am still a proponent for Ellis/Koch but if Chinn can maintain performance anything like the IU match she will change my mind. Chinn did a very nice job on the block against IU

Reactions: DocRon and Boilermb
I saw Chinn play quite a few times in Aau and HS, I am a big fan. That said, I have (until now privately) nicknamed her Maddy Tipin And have been a proponent for Ellis/Koch because they are much harder swingers. Ellis tends to be wild long, especially on out of system balls And when she misses a couple she gets her head down.

Chinn cut the ball very nicely and had a couple hard swings against NW and for sure had her best match against IU. It was somewhat reminiscent of the way she played in HS. I am still a proponent for Ellis/Koch but if Chinn can maintain performance anything like the IU match she will change my mind. Chinn did a very nice job on the block against IU
Chinn hit with authority vs iu. She was ahead of Ellis early in the season until she had her injury vs Louisville.

Last edited:
Reactions: TKPKID and DocRon

Thanks for your insight.

Chinn hit with authority vs iu. She was ahead of Ellis early in the season until she had her injury vs Louisville.
Imo, IU was the first time I have seen Chinn hit with authority this year. Dave always talks about certain players having heavy or live arms. Maddy has been the opposite, hitting roll shots, cut shots, off speed and tips.

as I said before, I am a fan of Chinn and wish her and the team my very best.

ADVERTISEMENT