ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue 92, Alabama 86 Quick recap.

Very impressive win. Only 6 TO's and made 42% from 3 and 24/28 FT's

Also, it's a small thing, but I love Colvin getting minutes. Going to pay dividends later.

Key steal down the stretch, too....love him and Jones picking off that wing dish-off, which a lot of times is a hole in the defense. Boilers with 9 steals today.

Also hit a big one down the stretch to open things up a little......

88tjtn.gif

Last edited:
A great game to win for this team. Usually a bad combination when they see an athletic team that’s shooting out their backside, an athletic guard shooting out his backside as well, with a coach who works the refs the entire game.

I liked robby as a player but his trying not to be a homer by praising bama for their “physicality “ when most would call it “obvious and intentional fouling” is a bit much.

I would hope paint is non-stop on Zach to keep the ball high and don’t dribble or put it on the floor.

Aside from the above still a very good win against a team that intended to make it a rock fight and happened to be hitting as well in the first half. Well done with still some teaching points to work on.

With such a monster game from Edey, it kinda overshadowed a CAREER HIGH game for Smith who was flat out great today and is really evolving as a scoring point by working off of Edey. Best point guard in CMP tenure??
Anyway.....Well done!!

Reactions: rgarlitz
With such a monster game from Edey, it kinda overshadowed a CAREER HIGH game for Smith who was flat out great today and is really evolving as a scoring point by working off of Edey. Best point guard in CMP tenure??
Anyway.....Well done!!
Its not even close yes Braden is the best PG of the Painter tenure unless you consider Carsen a pg which I don't. He is the 3rd best guard already that Painter has ever had only behind Moore and Carsen.

Reactions: rgarlitz
Its not even close yes Braden is the best PG of the Painter tenure unless you consider Carsen a pg which I don't. He is the 3rd best guard already that Painter has ever had only behind Moore and Carsen.

Agree. Ahead of LewJack....and gap is growing.

A great game to win for this team. Usually a bad combination when they see an athletic team that’s shooting out their backside, an athletic guard shooting out his backside as well, with a coach who works the refs the entire game.

I liked robby as a player but his trying not to be a homer by praising bama for their “physicality “ when most would call it “obvious and intentional fouling” is a bit much.

I would hope paint is non-stop on Zach to keep the ball high and don’t dribble or put it on the floor.

Aside from the above still a very good win against a team that intended to make it a rock fight and happened to be hitting as well in the first half. Well done with still some teaching points to work on.
I wouldn't put yesterday's game anywhere near the rock right category like the Tennessee game was. I wouldn't call it that at all. Were they physical? Sure, but not in any kind of dirty way. I thought Robbie was exaggerating. I thought the refs were a non-factor, a couple calls either way that looked potentially bad.

Using +/- is not an accurate judge of a players impact in any one game. Let me just give 2 examples from yesterday:

Lance Jones -14
Mark Sears - 0

No way any basketball person watches that game yesterday and assigns those numbers to those 2 players. The +/- may have a purpose, but for me it's a worthless measurement. I'm surprised CMP even brought it up when discussing Morton.

Morton + 17
Smith +6
Edey +11

Please tell me you can't take those numbers seriously!

• Love
Reactions: Boiler Buck
Using +/- is not an accurate judge of a players impact in any one game. Let me just give 2 examples from yesterday:

Lance Jones -14
Mark Sears - 0

No way any basketball person watches that game yesterday and assigns those numbers to those 2 players. The +/- may have a purpose, but for me it's a worthless measurement. I'm surprised CMP even brought it up when discussing Morton.

Morton + 17
Smith +6
Edey +11

Great point. That +/- data in no way represented the game. Sears #s? Say no more.

But I am not surprised CMP brought up Morton. Detail guy. Loves him some Morton. Nice that he is thoughough hitting all the positives. But given the game, geez that is a long reach. LOL

Reactions: Lionheart1

Lance Jones -14
Mark Sears - 0

Morton + 17
Smith +6
Edey +11

I suppose It's a counter measurement to those who claim he contributed nothing. Can't take that seriously, either.

• Haha
Reactions: Boiler Buck
I suppose It's a counter measurement to those who claim he contributed nothing. Can't take that seriously, either.
I have no idea why he brought it up in press conference. Using +/- to either prop up a player, or to put them down loses steam for me because the measure is so misleading in both directions.

It would be like Oats saying Sears had a bad game because his +/- was zero. Complete misrepresentation.

I really don't have a strong feeling on Morton either way. I just think using +/- is a poor, if not completely useless, way to say a player (any player) was good or bad. If CMP feels it's necessary to say something good about Morton, I think he could come up with many things that would support that. But +/- isn't a good one.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Morton’s boxscore all zeros with 1 assist. Defense it seems when I watch it he’s running around doing a lot of chasing. I’m not a coach but i would like to see more than that.

Lance Jones -14
Mark Sears - 0

Morton + 17
Smith +6
Edey +11

yes, if you play a lot on a losing team you very easily can have a negative number. If you play a lot on a winning team you very easily can get a positive number. However, if you play a little and your team makes a run you can get a positive number or the other team makes a run you get the negative. We all know this. If somebody on Alabama played the exact same time as Ethan he got a negative 17. It just says that when Ethan was playing Purdue's group did better than Alabama did during Ethan's minutes. How much was due to Ethan? Coaches will review the game and have an opinion. On the surface the numbers may be confusing from game to game or player to player as you said. It can be an indicator of things that are not normally gathered in the data that led to positive play.

On the surface it seems a person could do an ANOVA and get there. A single game might be iffy and if you tried to incorporate the other team's players into the data in relation to Purdue that would get so tedious. If you didn't care and only wanted to isolate a players +/- with the different combination of Purdue players, that still be more useful over a few games and a lot of work. One problem would be a player benefiting from being in bonus relative to the other players that created that condition.

Certainly if the +/- had little variation and was constant ...maybe not the raw number, but the percent of the high number per game for all players it says something...truly good...truly bad or playing at the right time of the game due to a) subs b) bonus c)zone d)man e)press f)position and so forth, but for every variable measured and accounted for in the model you need more than one reading for a random ANOVA

Last edited:
Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I really don't have a strong feeling on Morton either way. I just think using +/- is a poor, if not completely useless, way to say a player (any player) was good or bad. If CMP feels it's necessary to say something good about Morton, I think he could come up with many things that would support that. But +/- isn't a good one.
I don't either.

But...

When I see comments from people who don't truly watch the game and draw conclusions from box scores, I recall the many coaches, announcers, and analysts (many of who played pro ball) who have pointed out how valuable Morton is to Purdue. I recall how he was voted to the All-Tourney team at last year's early season tournament where Purdue exploded onto the scene and gained their #1 ranking. And then I do a quick reality check about Matt Painter's coaching credentials vs. those of the armchair coaches on an anonymous message board. Those same armchair coaches label Matt Painter an idiot when he gives Morton minutes, using the box scores as their authoritative proof.

Reactions: tjreese
I don't either.

But...

When I see comments from people who don't truly watch the game and draw conclusions from box scores, I recall the many coaches, announcers, and analysts (many of who played pro ball) who have pointed out how valuable Morton is to Purdue. I recall how he was voted to the All-Tourney team at last year's early season tournament where Purdue exploded onto the scene and gained their #1 ranking. And then I do a quick reality check about Matt Painter's coaching credentials vs. those of the armchair coaches on an anonymous message board. Those same armchair coaches label Matt Painter an idiot when he gives Morton minutes, using the box scores as their authoritative proof.
It isn't just Matt, the other coaches have an understanding of what Ethan does better than others and what he doesn't do better or do worse. These coaches watch a lot of video and I say coaches, because when they are together they bounce things off each other. You now have 2 people that have worked the defense for a few years working D for Purdue. You have PJ (but no doubt Sasha gives his opinion outside the games) with Matt overlooking all, but probably much more engaged on Offense. Players strengths and weaknesses are shared in the coaching meetings. Can they be wrong...sure, but this is a full time job for all and they not only have the interest, but the time to try to make an informed decision. If something doesn't work another something might be worse and not automatically better

Reactions: BoilerAndy
It isn't just Matt, the other coaches have an understanding of what Ethan does better than others and what he doesn't do better or do worse. These coaches watch a lot of video and I say coaches, because when they are together they bounce things off each other. You now have 2 people that have worked the defense for a few years working D for Purdue. You have PJ (but no doubt Sasha gives his opinion outside the games) with Matt overlooking all, but probably much more engaged on Offense. Players strengths and weaknesses are shared in the coaching meetings. Can they be wrong...sure, but this is a full time job for all and they not only have the interest, but the time to try to make an informed decision. If something doesn't work another something might be worse and not automatically better
Kinda like Loosiers with coaches???

Reactions: tjreese
Morton’s boxscore all zeros with 1 assist. Defense it seems when I watch it he’s running around doing a lot of chasing. I’m not a coach but i would like to see more than that.
I see a pretty quick guy working his *** off to stay in front of QUICKER guys (mostly) and doing an admirable job of it most of the time.
These days many guys will test a new defenders feet to see if they can cross them up and drive at will against.
The big scorer tried that twice when first against Morton, saw that he was quick ENOUGH, and didn't try to drive against him after that.
I'm guessing you missed that interaction.

yes, if you play a lot on a losing team you very easily can have a negative number. If you play a lot on a winning team you very easily can get a positive number. However, if you play a little and your team makes a run you can get a positive number or the other team makes a run you get the negative. We all know this. If somebody on Alabama played the exact same time as Ethan he got a negative 17. It just says that when Ethan was playing Purdue's group did better than Alabama did during Ethan's minutes. How much was due to Ethan? Coaches will review the game and have an opinion. On the surface the numbers may be confusing from game to game or player to player as you said. It can be an indicator of things that are not normally gathered in the data that led to positive play.

On the surface it seems a person could do an ANOVA and get there. A single game might be iffy and if you tried to incorporate the other team's players into the data in relation to Purdue that would get so tedious. If you didn't care and only wanted to isolate a players +/- with the different combination of Purdue players, that still be more useful over a few games and a lot of work. One problem would be a player benefiting from being in bonus relative to the other players that created that condition.

Certainly if the +/- had little variation and was constant ...maybe not the raw number, but the percent of the high number per game for all players it says something...truly good...truly bad or playing at the right time of the game due to a) subs b) bonus c)zone d)man e)press f)position and so forth, but for every variable measured and accounted for in the model you need more than one reading for a random ANOVA
It's useless for a one game analysis. This game is the perfect example of that. That's why it is so weird that CMP would choose to use that when describing how well Morton played. As I said before, he could have used several examples of Morton's play to explain why he thought he played well. No argument there from me. But as soon as you try to use +/- to make your point either negative or positive when evaluating 1 game, it loses credibility.

No one can possibly look at those numbers from that game and say that they accurately measure how guys played in that game either good or bad. Does anyone think that Jones "deserved" a -14? Of course not, and neither does CMP. He would never say "Jones played poorly today, look he got a -14". That would be ridiculous and so is the +17 for Morton.

For the record, I think Morton gave us exactly what we need from him in that game. Not a ton of minutes, but enough to give other guys a break. Move the ball, play as good on defense as he can and don't turn it over. Mission accomplished. Just don't use the +/- stat to say he played well, it ruins the argument of his value.

It's useless for a one game analysis. This game is the perfect example of that. That's why it is so weird that CMP would choose to use that when describing how well Morton played. As I said before, he could have used several examples of Morton's play to explain why he thought he played well. No argument there from me. But as soon as you try to use +/- to make your point either negative or positive when evaluating 1 game, it loses credibility.

No one can possibly look at those numbers from that game and say that they accurately measure how guys played in that game either good or bad. Does anyone think that Jones "deserved" a -14? Of course not, and neither does CMP. He would never say "Jones played poorly today, look he got a -14". That would be ridiculous and so is the +17 for Morton.

For the record, I think Morton gave us exactly what we need from him in that game. Not a ton of minutes, but enough to give other guys a break. Move the ball, play as good on defense as he can and don't turn it over. Mission accomplished. Just don't use the +/- stat to say he played well, it ruins the argument of his value.
yep...the numbers alone for one game tell nothing by themselves. They could, but don't automatically do so just due to the fuzzy math.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT