ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue 64, Michigan State 63 - Quick Wrap

Fletch was money down the stretch....be a totally different year without Fletch and Smith....actuallyFletch the last 4 games has been money , including Rutgers , we just didn'tcover the one guy we needed to in the end in Rutgers game.....Morton is so inconsistent.

Smith had some nice assists but I certainly wouldn't call six assists to four turnovers one of his better games as a playmaker.
It wasn't one of his better games, but he has to play...and Matt is fully aware that the team is not the same when he is not playing. WE know that the +/- can be misleading, but it is another data point to be combined and he was +8 for his subpar game which I believe was second and possibly a better indicator for him than other players since it is a team measure effect broken down by time for each player and he makes the team go.. I watched the game again and believe he got some bad calls that not only affected his play, but Purdue as well.

His two poorer games were with physical teams on D where maybe the whistle rested more than some other games. He will be fine, but Purdue needs him because they really don't have another of similar playmaking ability.

Used to teams would almost always double a ball screen since you brought two defenders to the ball and a good way to trap the ball. That fell out of favor when the rules wanted it called tighter on the perimeter..what a decade or so ago???? So, if it is to return to a more physical defense on ball screens and trapping as a result...the advantage goes to the D.

Last couple of games teams have REALLY hedged hard on handoffs or ball screens with Zach. We saw a slip for two today and Fletcher did an old Carsen move where he didn't go though with the screen, but read the hedge and split the defenders with a lane to the rim on the left side. I suspect that was a coaching suggestion to Fletcher and Braden if they can split the D to get to the rim... This team has won games last year would have lost just due to poise under pressure...

It wasn't one of his better games, but he has to play...and Matt is fully aware that the team is not the same when he is not playing. WE know that the +/- can be misleading, but it is another data point to be combined and he was +8 for his subpar game which I believe was second and possibly a better indicator for him than other players since it is a team measure effect broken down by time for each player and he makes the team go.. I watched the game again and believe he got some bad calls that not only affected his play, but Purdue as well.

His two poorer games were with physical teams on D where maybe the whistle rested more than some other games. He will be fine, but Purdue needs him because they really don't have another of similar playmaking ability.

Used to teams would almost always double a ball screen since you brought two defenders to the ball and a good way to trap the ball. That fell out of favor when the rules wanted it called tighter on the perimeter..what a decade or so ago???? So, if it is to return to a more physical defense on ball screens and trapping as a result...the advantage goes to the D.

Last couple of games teams have REALLY hedged hard on handoffs or ball screens with Zach. We saw a slip for two today and Fletcher did an old Carsen move where he didn't go though with the screen, but read the hedge and split the defenders with a lane to the rim on the left side. I suspect that was a coaching suggestion to Fletcher and Braden if they can split the D to get to the rim... This team has won games last year would have lost just due to poise under pressure...
Agree, agree, agree. Hopefully Braden learns from these games and continues to improve / get more consistent. I suspect he will and that bodes very well for Purdue. If he can continue to make plays while reducing turnovers against physical play this team is going to roll some people.

Last edited:
Reactions: tjreese
My headline would be Purdue 16-18 from the line, wins by 1.

We shot 89% from the line, If we would have gone 14-18 (78%). We would have lost.
Purdue's free throw shooting will get us over the top in a lot of these close games.

My headline would be Purdue 16-18 from the line, wins by 1.

We shot 89% from the line, If we would have gone 14-18 (78%). We would have lost.
Purdue's free throw shooting will get us over the top in a lot of these close games.
Poise and typically a mature end of game play where teh ball is many times in a freshman's hand. FTs were absolutely HUGE. Purdue not enjoying the big board advantage against some of the Big teams now...

Braden is a VERRRRY emotional player. When those emotions get a bit off-kilter, he gets a bit off-kilter. I'll take it. --- he got some bad calls that not only affected his play, but Purdue as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT