ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue’s richest alumni

I liked the 3 criminals listed under Other Alumni. So deserving to be listed with some of those others!

They missed one, Michael Sears. Former Boeing executive and convicted felon for improper hiring of a government employee. I think it was a like a bribe to get a government contract.

Purdue's wealthiest alum is Carl Cook, the CEO of Cook Biomedical, which has a large facility in West Lafayette.

Unfortunately, he's a huge IU fan. The Cook Group's world headquarters in located in Bloomington.

Cook Hall, IU's basketball training facility, was built with a donation from the Cook family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Cook
Well, apparently Mr. Cook sucks.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
Well, apparently Mr. Cook sucks.
It’s his family, his mom is still alive and is an iu alum and started the firm with her husband in Bloomington. Carl went to Purdue. They’ve awarded him for his support. It’s possible he could have donated anonymously which he probably would need to do to keep mommy and their company staff happy.

Reactions: bonefish1
Also when mommy (88 yrs old) dies wouldn’t be surprised if the company is broken up and sold. Carl (only child) is 59 and he has an adolescent daughter (only child). The pharmaceutical side was acquired in 2017 to Catalent. They have real estate development divisions, insulation, a california stainless steel tube manufacturer, French lick resort, travel, aviation, and places all over. Hopefully Carl knows what to do with his $10b+ estate.

Reactions: drewjin and 4IUSox2
Purdue has many wealthy alumni. part of your problem is they would appear to rather donate their money to research or academics than to the NIL or athletics. that's an issue many schools with academic integrity and achievements have. in Alabama and Texas, donors don't give as much to research and academics as they give to football. they'd rather buy out their coach than buy a new chemistry building. they would rather pay $500 for good seats at a football game than spend $50 for front row seats at a band concert.

I don't have the facts to back me up, but i believe purdue is one of the top 20 schools for donations. it's just the money is earmarked for other things besides football. and i don't believe that philosophy is going to change any time soon just because the NIL was created.

i could be wrong. i have to ask, how much did Ely lily or Orvile Reddinbacker ever give to the athletic department verses other projects at Purdue? How much did John Purdue give to athletics? I believe it's a culture thing rather than not having rich alumni. Purdue grads have culture. other schools have football.
Agree with Wolegib here.

It's not a matter of who has rich alumni, every Division 1 University is going to have alumni that can afford to kick in a couple million dollars each year. It's a matter of which schools have alumni that think its a priority to give money to specific college students in the hope that they can have a good football or basketball team.

In someway I kind of get the Nike thing at Oregon because I could see it as part of their brand but for some of these other NIL donors, I just think it shows how screwed up their priorities are.

Bottom line is its not the athlete's screwing things up its the people willing to dole out the big bucks because they are obsessed with a bunch of 18 to 23 year olds playing a game. I'm sure that $800,000 Peck is going to get could have gone to a better cause.

Agree with Wolegib here.

It's not a matter of who has rich alumni, every Division 1 University is going to have alumni that can afford to kick in a couple million dollars each year. It's a matter of which schools have alumni that think its a priority to give money to specific college students in the hope that they can have a good football or basketball team.

In someway I kind of get the Nike thing at Oregon because I could see it as part of their brand but for some of these other NIL donors, I just think it shows how screwed up their priorities are.

Bottom line is its not the athlete's screwing things up its the people willing to dole out the big bucks because they are obsessed with a bunch of 18 to 23 year olds playing a game. I'm sure that $800,000 Peck is going to get could have gone to a better cause.
Everybody talks about alumni. It's the subway alumni that made ND into what it is. That's what Purdue doesn't have, a large fan base of non-alums that contains fanatics that will gladly shell out bucks for championships. If it was just alum v. alum, we could keep up with the Joneses. As is, our fan well isn't deep enough to draw out of.

Reactions: Inspector100
Does anybody know who Purdue’s richest alumni is? Are they an active donor?

It’s easy to name the richest donors at many schools: Cuban at IU, Knight at Oregon, that hedge fund guy from MSU, Pickens from ok st. I feel like there was Walmart money behind Mizzou from the painter flirting there.
Bill Laurie married a Wal-mart daughter. Given $$$$$$$ to Mizzou. Stan Kroenke married one, too.

Reactions: drewjin
Also when mommy (88 yrs old) dies wouldn’t be surprised if the company is broken up and sold. Carl (only child) is 59 and he has an adolescent daughter (only child). The pharmaceutical side was acquired in 2017 to Catalent. They have real estate development divisions, insulation, a california stainless steel tube manufacturer, French lick resort, travel, aviation, and places all over. Hopefully Carl knows what to do with his $10b+ estate.
Sounds like the movie "Secret of My Success" with Michael J Fox. Which, I don't care what anyone says, is a great movie. Corny as hell, but great none-the-less.

Sounds like the movie "Secret of My Success" with Michael J Fox. Which, I don't care what anyone says, is a great movie. Corny as hell, but great none-the-less.
A super underrated movie! I haven't seen it in years, but a personal favorite.

Reactions: bonefish1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT