ADVERTISEMENT

Program has gotten progressively worse under Versyp...

JohnnyDoeBoiler

All-American
Sep 23, 2013
West Lafayette
I think MBob needs to make a move in the off season and likely needs to go to Marian College to sign former Boilermaker star Katie Geralds. Versyp is consistently missing on recruits, especially the top recruits in the state and has no playmakers on the roster.

As far as the football program has fallen, one could argue to fall the women have taken since Versyp took over has been worse considering where it once was.

I think MBob needs to make a move in the off season and likely needs to go to Marian College to sign former Boilermaker star Katie Geralds. Versyp is consistently missing on recruits, especially the top recruits in the state and has no playmakers on the roster.

As far as the football program has fallen, one could argue to fall the women have taken since Versyp took over has been worse considering where it once was.

Let's not forget the decline started under Curry. She's the one that inherited the national championship program and left it on probation. That's neither here nor there in regards to where we are now because Coach Versyp has been here long enough to put her own stamp on the program. However, the decline from the national championship program certainly started before she got here.

Agree and the nature of WBB only allows a few teams to gather the talent to compete nationally. Versyp has not been able to do that so we have a team that is in the hunt for the top spots in the BT, no one catching MD. If the AD let;s her go, he'd best bring in a coach who he is reasonably sure can get national level recruits. I doubt seriously if that will happen as this team will probably have close to 20 wins which may be a ceiling for most BT programs. Do you fire a coach that has you in the upper half of the league when most teams in the conference can't do much better. I guess we'll see. Versyp would have to totally flop down the stretch for him to notice and playing against other teams with similar talent to ours, she will win enough to stay it seems.

Let's not forget the decline started under Curry. She's the one that inherited the national championship program and left it on probation. That's neither here nor there in regards to where we are now because Coach Versyp has been here long enough to put her own stamp on the program. However, the decline from the national championship program certainly started before she got here.
Not sure I would agree her last year at Purdue she was 26-7 13-3 and made the sweet 16. Versyp cant get close to that.

In hind sight, Curry seemed to have recruited better than Versyp. However, I thought Curry did not have a good feel for the game, and was a poor X&O coach. Versyp seemed to do better in the game.

At this point, I see some new talent on the Purdue team. I would trend recruiting as slightly improving, but glacially. I have been a big supporter of Versyp in the past, but over the last 2-3 years, I have not seen the improvement we need to reemerge as a national power. Maybe it is time for some new blood. I'd like to see us follow the Louisville track and become a young dangerous team, athletic and fast. Not sure it will happen with the current coaching staff. To me, this year, was losing to Indiana - should not have happened!

Reactions: Boiler13
Not sure I would agree her last year at Purdue she was 26-7 13-3 and made the sweet 16. Versyp cant get close to that.

Far cry from the national championship program she took over. Like I said, the slide began under Curry.

Oh yea, she left us on probation too because she had no control of the program.

In hind sight, Curry seemed to have recruited better than Versyp. However, I thought Curry did not have a good feel for the game, and was a poor X&O coach. Versyp seemed to do better in the game.

At this point, I see some new talent on the Purdue team. I would trend recruiting as slightly improving, but glacially. I have been a big supporter of Versyp in the past, but over the last 2-3 years, I have not seen the improvement we need to reemerge as a national power. Maybe it is time for some new blood. I'd like to see us follow the Louisville track and become a young dangerous team, athletic and fast. Not sure it will happen with the current coaching staff. To me, this year, was losing to Indiana - should not have happened!
If you looked closely, it was Curry's husband who coached the X & O's and she did the hand holding and consoling.
I believe she was also the recruiter but it was a family operation and likely still is at AL.

We can argue until the cows come in about who's to blame. One thing we all should be able to agree on is that the Wbb program is no longer nationally prominent, no longer a Big Ten powerhouse and is unlikely to return to its former level of achievement under the existing coach.

Reactions: 22fanclub
We can argue until the cows come in about who's to blame. One thing we all should be able to agree on is that the Wbb program is no longer nationally prominent, no longer a Big Ten powerhouse and is unlikely to return to its former level of achievement under the existing coach.

Agree.
At this level, it's about the coaching. If you have to have top recruits to win, you can't coach or develop. Cases in point, Austin Parkinson did more with less. McGuff has done less with more...hell Iowa was in Ohio's ass today.

Bring back Marty Clapp.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT