ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue football Pro Day: deep-dive with more info than you need to know

Tom_GoldandBlack.com

All-American
Staff
Jan 16, 2002
Flipping through my Pro Day notebook before moving on to today's scrimmage. Here are some nuggets for you. THANKS!

5c7fd2487c8cc-IMG_0804.jpg

1. Purdue staffers said all but two NFL teams were in attendance on Tuesday with 36 scouts from 30 teams. The Ravens were one, but the other missing teams couldn’t be identified. No way I could figure it out. NFL apparel was everywhere on golf shirts and hats, but my access was limited. Could watch events on the field in Mollenkopf, but not the vertical leap or bench-press--which took place inside the new Football Performance Complex. Really wanted to see Barron bench. Players also were measured in private. Among the scouts: Former Purdue QB Joey Elliott (2006-09), who works for the Colts. Great guy. Also in attendance: Jeff Shiver, a long-time Bears scout who lives in the area.

2. On the official Pro Day itinerary I obtained, the following “draft eligible athletes” from Purdue were listed as working out:
Kirk Barron
Brian Bravo
Spencer Evans
Markell Jones
Conor Sweeney
Isaac Zico
Antonio Blackmon
Tim Cason
Kamal Hardy
D.J. Knox
Jacob Thieneman
David Blough
Shane Evans
Cole Herdman
Ben Markowski
Terry Wright

Jones did not work out but was in attendance watching. He told me a while back he is focused on finishing his degree and pursuing a career in aviation. I had to ask a school official: "Who is Brian Bravo?" Sounds like a super-hero. Guess he was a kicker on the team. So, there is that.

The Wonderlic was given before physical testing. Players also were measured: height, weight, arm span, hand size. Physical testing included: bench-press, vertical jump, standing broad jump, three-cone shuttle, 40-yard dash.

5c7fd33a80245-IMG_0817.jpg

3. A guy named "Brandon Dillon" also was on the itinerary and worked out. Who is that, you ask? He was a tight end at Marian University, an NAIA school in Indianapolis who has caught the eye of scouts. The 6-5, 250-pound Dillon played at Class A Carroll High in Flora, Ind. He played in the 2019 NFLPA Collegiate Bowl after being the Knights' second-leading pass catcher last season with 35 grabs for 603 yards and five touchdowns. He finished his career with 14 touchdown catches. How did he get in on this event?

“My agent is Buddy Baker, who is Matt Painter’s agent,” he said. “He was able to pull a few strings.”

The kid looks good. I love small-school guys. Any Carroll football player is A-OK in my book! Davis Blough trusted him enough to let him be one of his pass-catchers.

"We have only recently met," Dillon said.

4. Several of Purdue’s players looked to be in fantastic shape: D.J. Knox, David Blough, Jacob Thieneman, Terry Wright, Isaac Zico, Antonio Blackmon really stood out. Guys like Wright, Blackmon and Thieneman ran 40-yard dashes without their shirts on. Skin to win, right?

5. During the 40-yard dash portion of the day, strength coach Justin Lovett called out the player names as if introducing guests at medieval dinner party. It was entertaining. "KIRK BARRON!" Speaking of Barron, he can "pick 'em up and put 'em down" when running a 40.

6. No official testing numbers were released, but I asked players for some of their numbers when we talked. WR Terry Wright told me he ran a 4.3 40-yard dash. Hard to think any other player was faster on the day. On that time alone, Wright could be drafted, as the NFL loves speed. Somewhere, Al Davis is smiling and wants to draft him.

5c7fd30a0c29c-IMG_0834.jpg

7. The 5-7 D.J. Knox says he had 30 reps at 225 in the bench-press and ran a 4.5 and 4.6 40. His mother was on hand, taking photos. Smiled the entire time. Who wouldn't!?

8. Kirk Barron was two off his goal in the bench-press.

“I had 36 on bench,” he said. “My 40 was alright. I was kind of battling a calf issue. But I was happy to get through the whole thing healthy. I am looking forward to the next step.”

Barron found a way to be of service at Pro Day, raising money for his grandmother, who suffers from dementia. He is donating $5 for every rep he did on the bench at Pro Day to help the Alzheimer's Association. Pledges were made. According to a link on his Twitter feed, he has raised $6,250. Well-done!

Back on the field ... An issue for Barron: arm length.

“My arms are about two inches shorter than the average, I guess you could say,” he said. “I think what teams like about me is, I haven’t been able to get into the classroom with any teams yet, but I can’t wait to show off how smart I am in the film room and kinda breaking things down with them. I think they like how quick I am, first step. I was expecting that we were gonna do a bit more on these drills like pull or something, but we didn’t. So, I wanted to able to showcase that a little. But it’s OK.”

9. Just four, five months ago, Jacob Thieneman was battling a staph infection that hospitalized him a week and cost him the final three regular-season games. He lost almost 20 pounds. Thieneman came back for the Music City Bowl. Was he 100 percent?

“I played in the bowl game,” he said, smiling.

Just a few months later, Thieneman looks great. He says he ran a “high 4.4, 4.48, 4.49. A couple low 4.5s.”

His bench-press?

“I did 16 (reps),” he said. “I was happy with that, especially coming back from where I was. I was happy with that.”

Thieneman thinks if he is picked, it’ll be on "Day Three, anywhere between the fifth and seventh round.”

10. Many current Boilers watched the Pro Day: Grant Hermanns, Simeon Smiley, Markus Bailey, Jared Sparks, Paul Piferi, among others. Jacob Thieneman’s mom, dad and littlest brother were on hand.

11. Spencer Evans was BOOMING the ball. Even with his hair in a man bun. (I jest.) Evans has one of the strongest legs of any Purdue kicker I have seen. Will be interested to see if he has a future anywhere. AAF? XFL? I was always a big fan of his and wanted him to nail a 50-yarder. Never happened. But his kickoffs sailed DEEP.

5c7fd264d1152-IMG_0811.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.