ADVERTISEMENT

Predictions of were 2019 recruiting class will rank?

Summy1

Junior
Jun 17, 2015
I know its early but im excited about the verbals Purdue has gotten. Haven't seen this many 4* players in a long time. It's been a long time since us fans have been excited like this. Keep the train going.

Reactions: boiler800
I'm going to say top 40. I realize that's pretty low. But our class will be smaller than the last two classes. Even after Grant's signing we're currently only ranked 46th by 24/7.

What Purdue fans often overlook is that our competition is also doing as well as we are. OSU, Michigan, Illinois, Nebraska, Maryland, UW, NW, Iowa, Minn , MSU and Penn St are all also having awesome recruiting classes this year. Despite our success this year , which is a lot better than our past, this class is currently only the 12th best in our own conference.

When ranking a recruiting class you are only as good or bad as your competition. and that's what you need to compare this class against - not our past. We are not going to play against Purdue any time soon. We do have some of those other teams on our schedule.

to keep up with the rest of our conference, we need to keep those 4 stars coming in.

I realize this is a buzzkill type post. I was excited too, until I saw what the other BIG 10 schools already also have committed.

Reactions: krf3632
UNC and MSU were ranked 23 and 26 respectively with five or six 4* and a dozen to fifteen 3*, i would guess that about where this class ends up for us.

looking at the player average, Purdue is ranked 7th in the BIG 10, just below MSU. By adding some players, Purdue could climb into the top 30 before season's end and be about 5-6th in the BIG 10 behind OSU, Mich, PSU and UW. And that would be great.

To put things in perspective Penn St has 1 5 *, 6 4 * and is only ranked 15th. That has a double meaning. the first is it's very hard to break into the top 20 as far as statistical numbers go, and many say stats are meaningless. the other meaning is if we expect to beat BIG 10 teams on the field, we first must beat them in recruiting.

Also on the plus side, we are on pace to have the 2nd best recruiting class rank on the west side of the BIG 10 and could end up challenging UW for that top spot. .

one thing that should be stated. transfers and grad transfers are not included in the national recruiting rankings. Adding Hunter would be a huge addition to this class, but it would have zero effect on our national class rating.

We just added a grad transfer center from WKU who was in the running for the NCAA center award. he can play center or guard and be an immediate contributor. but he will not count towards our class rankings.

So our actual class could be a lot better than our actual computer ranking.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and Summy1
one thing that should be stated. transfers and grad transfers are not included in the national recruiting rankings. Adding Hunter would be a huge addition to this class, but it would have zero effect on our national class rating.

We just added a grad transfer center from WKU who was in the running for the NCAA center award. he can play center or guard and be an immediate contributor. but he will not count towards our class rankings.

So our actual class could be a lot better than our actual computer ranking.
Your class could always be better or worse because these rankings don't always pan out. Tiller won a lot of games and I still can't remember if he ever had a Top 25 recruiting class. The recruiting services themselves don't agree half the time. Also, adding Johnson (if we get him) would indirectly increase our class ranking because it will have a big potential impact with other recruits... think David Bell & TJ Sheffield especially. Imagine being a WR recruit who is already interested in a pass happy spread offense oriented program and then that program brings on one of the best pocket passers to come out of high school in the last couple years. With the guys we have so far, if we can get him onboard I think it will have a very positive affect on recruiting.

I'm going with 29th. I agree with Wolegib, its not a matter of quality but quantity. Most D1s have between 8 and 12 right now while Purdue is sitting on 5. If it ends up being a small class, it'll affect the ranking somewhat.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I'm going with 29th. I agree with Wolegib, its not a matter of quality but quantity. Most D1s have between 8 and 12 right now while Purdue is sitting on 5. If it ends up being a small class, it'll affect the ranking somewhat.
I think 29th might end up being close. I would be very happy with a top 35 class but I think we have the potential to be in the top 30 based on how things are going so far.

using 24/7 as a source, last year we finished 50th. In 2017, we were 72. in 2016, we were 80. in 2015 we were 67. with Blough in 2014, we were 70.

looking back, picking random years in 2010 we were 53, with etling in 2013, we were 61, in 2009, we were 71, in 2011, we were 75, and in 2005 we were 27th . in 2004, we were 17th ! in 2003, we were 28th. in 2002 , we were 52. With kyle Orton, we were 41 in 2001.

in the other years not mentioned, we were in the 60-75 range. and even in the good years, we didn't have many elite players - we had quantity.

and in 1999, due to a computer database error, with a player average rating of 70 which would equal a 2* rating, we were #1 in the country. As some have said earlier, ratings mean nothing.

Last edited:
Not real concerned with team ratings, which I know is a non-answer. What I really want to see are kids who are recognized as having the ability to play at a high level taking the field. 4 star kids, kids with good offer lists, and kids that are the appropriate size or are in positions of depth where they will be able to red shirt. Brohm will get the most out of the kids as long as he is able to get some of the kids he wants.
That has always been where coach Painter has struggled. He is always 1-2 kids away from breaking through, but gets the most out of nearly all the kids he does get. We were on Jalen Brunson's short list. If we had him and Biggie for 2 years, my guess is there would have been distinctly different results.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT