ADVERTISEMENT

Potential 2022-23 Off-Season Additions

I think we may very much be in the running for ND transfer 6'2 F Sam Brunelle - no concrete info - but she is following both KG and PurdueWBB on Twitter (and KG is following her back, plus the PurdueWBB account is liking her posts) - she also 'liked' Layden's post yesterday about being locked in for next year. Again nothing concrete but it can certainly be telling if you read between the lines.

She's an experienced, mobile post player that would certainly fit in with the system KG is trying to create. She was highly ranked coming out of HS, top 5 in the country, and has battled injuries during her time at ND - she was fully healthy this year and i'm sure is looking for a place to come in and log big minutes and be "featured". I'm sure UVA will also be competition as her hometown is just 30 min outside Charlottesville. But that is a COMPLETE rebuilding job and I think we have more pieces in place to win quicker - as she's a grad transfer I think that may be a factor.

Also - just saw a tweet that said her boyfriend is Ben Freehill who is a kicker on Purdue's football team.
She averaged 14 and 6 for ND as a Frosh, battled injury problems the last 2 years, if healthy she’s a really good player and a excellent get!

She does have many pictures up on her Instagram wearing Purdue gear. She sure does look great in the old gold and black!

That's one big I had missed catching, she would make a very nice pf/c
Former 5 star, averaged 7 and 5 this year playing about 18 minutes a game for a very good Irish team. Day 1 starter along with Layden, Ellis, and at this moment Hardin?

She came in an EXTREMELY heralded recruit and had a very good freshmen campaign during Muffet's final season when the offense was more of a Princeton style, focusing on utilizing super versatile post players that could score at all three levels, she also has a pretty reliable 3 pt shot (career 30% shooter). There's talk around ND circles that when Ivey came in she changed up the offense a bit - a change that didn't really suit her game and then to compound that she had some injuries last year that hampered her and she lost the starting spot to Westbeld and Stanford transfer Dodson. It showed this year in her minutes as she was limited to a career-low 16 per game, so she was able to graduate and transfer to a school that better fits her style - a style that I'm pretty sure is tailor made for what KG is trying to implement.

Last edited:
I have seen a couple of players at other schools announce they were going back to their original school. Any idea if the staff is trying to get anyone back? Know it depends on who made the decision to leave.

I have seen a couple of players at other schools announce they were going back to their original school. Any idea if the staff is trying to get anyone back? Know it depends on who made the decision to leave.
Moore in my opinion would be the only one that makes some sense. However, with so many players out there chances are they can get someone similar.

Reactions: DocRon
None of the players that left, save for maybe Moore, can score at all three levels. This is the skill that KG is looking for during her recruiting and will be an essential skill for players to have going forward as she builds out the roster.

So no, I think there are enough players in the portal to be able to make up for what we've lost, we don't need anyone to return - and I'd be shocked if any of them do.

Last edited:
None of the players that left, save for maybe Moore, can score at all three levels. This is the skill that KG is looking for during her recruiting and will be an essential skill for players to have going forward as she builds out the roster.

So no, I think there are enough players in the portal to be able to make up for what we've lost, we don't need anyone to return - and I'd be shocked if any of them do.
I see it the same way.

Reactions: BoilerRingside
Brunelle is visiting hometown school Virginia this weekend - might be tough to pull her away from the Hoos.

Mike Carmin has a bit of an update on the transfer recruiting craziness - says there's a "good chance" Terry returns to Purdue. Which is kind of surprising, but then again, not really. Also says Kyle is down to Ole Miss, North Carolina and Syracuse. But the most intriguing news is the reigning WAC player of the year, Caitlyn Harper, a 6'1 F, is visiting this weekend. She averaged 17 and 6 for CBU this season. She'd be a nice get. Against High Majors this year she had 23 pts 5 reb against Oregon State and 24/4 against TCU.

Recruiting Update

Last edited:
Mike Carmin has a bit of an update on the transfer recruiting craziness - says there's a "good chance" Terry returns to Purdue. Which is kind of surprising, but then again, not really. Also says Kyle is down to Ole Miss, North Carolina and Syracuse. But the most intriguing news is the reigning WAC player of the year, Caitlyn Harper, a 6'1 F, is visiting this weekend. She averaged 17 and 6 for CBU this season. She'd be a nice get. Against High Majors this year she had 23 pts 5 reb against Oregon State and 24/4 against TCU.

Recruiting Update
Thanks for the post, good stuff

Caitlyn Harper, California Baptist. I watched some video of her and read up, she could help, but probably in a backup PF role. While she has a low release to get her shot off inside, she hits the three with much better accuracy than Hardin and is a solid defender. She is from Wisconsin, so we would be moving closer to home that California if that is part of her goal for trasnferring. Seems very similar to Doumbia, so take it for what its worth.

While I hope Miss Harper decides to become a Boilermaker. I think she can help. I think the biggest off-season addition will be Freshman Addison Potts. I really like everything I've seen and read about her. I still see a lot of Brittany Rayburn when I look at her. I also love the confidence she exudes. She seems to have some of that "you can't guard or stop me" kind of confidence. Maybe a little like board favorite Caitlin Clark of Iowa.

I agree with you Russ, Potts is why I was not as worried about Terry leaving as Kyle, Terry is replaceable in a few different ways, Kyle so far we have no good depth replacement for. I am still hopeful for Thomas as I think she could be a big time PF and do some backup time at C in a pinch. Stoddard may be pressed into service before she is ready if we cannot get a decent post for backup behind Woltman. I do not want to see us playing a guard at center again as I think Learn can be a very good player facing the basket and I worry if she gets pressed into the post again she will leave for a program that lets her play her natural position.

While I hope Miss Harper decides to become a Boilermaker. I think she can help. I think the biggest off-season addition will be Freshman Addison Potts. I really like everything I've seen and read about her. I still see a lot of Brittany Rayburn when I look at her. I also love the confidence she exudes. She seems to have some of that "you can't guard or stop me" kind of confidence. Maybe a little like board favorite Caitlin Clark of Iowa.
“Board Favorite” — hahaha. Good sarcasm. Hopefully Potts has a much better personality. I think she does.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
Just a FYI for those who didn't know, but May 1st in the deadline for athletes to put their names in the portal so the pool of available players is still expanding every day. Two notable (grad?) transfers that just came on the market are Notre Dame transfer Katlyn Gilbert - 5'10 SR PG from Indianapolis. Gilbert for those who may remember was a highly decorated recruit coming out of high school and was named a McDonald's AA. She only played in 7 games this past year (think she was injured) but in 2020 she started 30 games, averaging 14 pts, 4.6 reb, 2.6 ast. per game. She probably has 1 more year of availability and would serve as a good "bridge" to come in and play the point for a year (make up for the loss of Terry) and then give our young PGs a year to adjust to the college game.

Also another recent notable entrant of note is Asia Strong, a 6'2 SR F from Wichita State. Strong, averaged 10 pts and 5 reb a game last year and 15/6 the year prior. Strong is a native of South Bend so I'm sure ND will be hard to beat out for her, but if not, Purdue would certainly be closer to home for her. I think the Irish are looking for post depth so this might already be decided out of the gate.

ADVERTISEMENT