ADVERTISEMENT

Potential 2022-23 Off-Season Additions

BoilerPride08

Senior
May 18, 2006
I feel like we need a central place to keep all info on the off-season recruiting (transfers, high school players). To start - looks like the entire staff was in Ohio today with an in-home visit of 2022 graduating senior 6'2 forward Zennia Thomas. Kentucky - fresh off their SEC tournament championship also paid her a visit, although i'm not sure if the Wildcats have officially offered her - no offer has been shared via Zennia's twitter. Purdue still seems to be her lone high major offer, as of now, things could change (and probably will) overnight. She absolutely blew up nationally her senior year and finished the season averaging a mind boggling 30 ppg and 14 rpg.

Sounds awesome, get that girl an LOI and a pen STAT!!!!!!! I would have her backing up Layden at the 3 her frosh year, but let her play some 4 and Learn at 3 in some games as well...... Let's hope this goes official very soon.

I feel pretty confident in getting her as we are her "biggest" current offer but a Kentucky offer might change that.

My biggest worry is not UK, but that she has been actively seeking an offer from a HBCU on her twitter even after she got our offer. I think she is too talented for that level, but if that is where her heart is, that may be who we lose her to.

Reactions: DocRon
Sure it's always up in the air until it is final, but tweets in a Purdue uni may be telling? Sounds like a major get if so. But as I say with the men, if you trust that your coach knows what they are doing, then you have confidence in who they go after. Painter lost a player and got Carsen. Painter lost a player and got Edey. I know KG is not in the same category, but if she knows how to build a team, it will become clear. So let's see what actually happens and what the results are. And, remember, this year she lost Kyle who she had already improved considerably.

I can't say I know the level of competition she's playing against but her production is insane for the offers she has and her skill level looks very high from what little I've seen on social media. I'm very much hoping she chooses to be a Boiler.

Her lack of offers is probably due to the instant eligibility transfer rule. Most coaches right now are looking at the transfer market instead of the unsigned HS senior market as they probably feel that a transfer is a better "bet" because they have already shown what they can do at the college level vs. a relatively unknown (until a few months ago) high school senior. KG is apparently looking at rolling the dice - which could pay off great or could be a bust - but then again transfers could be great or be bust as well. But looking at her production and some tape on her, I'm for gambling a bit with this one and it could pay off GREAT for Purdue.

Also of note - we need post players, i'm not seeing a ton of 6'2+ transfers hit the market yet who have shown any sign of significant production at their previous school - and the competition will be absolutely FIERCE for the ones that surely will, so this might be a factor in why KG has decided to go this route and pursue Thomas and not a transfer.

I think one thing to remember is that CKG seems really focused on the 23 class (4 as of now). Could be that she doesn't want to get a long-term transfer that might scare off those already committed and others we're in the running for.

I mean if that was the case I'd be going after a grad transfer or.a 1-year transfer that will help bridge the gap next year until the 23 class gets in. Her taking a 4-year graduating senior is the complete opposite of doing that. But I will say all of the current '23 class complements Thomas' game/skills, so I don't think that should be too much of an issue. Again, I'd love to get a talented wing scorer grad transfer that will immediately help for next year along with Thomas to complete the team.

Reactions: BoilerRingside
My biggest worry is not UK, but that she has been actively seeking an offer from a HBCU on her twitter even after she got our offer. I think she is too talented for that level, but if that is where her heart is, that may be who we lose her to.
She publicized Howard, the HBCU you're referring to, offering her on her Twitter. She posts every offer to her twitter. I would say Purdue is a "bigger' offer than Howard.

Ohio has 4 classes, Thomas is in the 2nd smallest, probably not the best competition, however, her stats were off the charts.

She publicized Howard, the HBCU you're referring to, offering her on her Twitter. She posts every offer to her twitter. I would say Purdue is a "bigger' offer than Howard.
I had not seen she got an offer from Howard, but I did see her tweet pleading for the HBCUs to give her a look and an offer, so that is why it bothers me. I know we are her best offer, but that may not be where her heart leads her. The unofficial makes me feel a lot better and also makes me think we will see a more traditional C-PF-SF-G-PG lineup next year, otherwise you are wasting 5 scholies on post players for one position.

I had not seen she got an offer from Howard, but I did see her tweet pleading for the HBCUs to give her a look and an offer, so that is why it bothers me. I know we are her best offer, but that may not be where her heart leads her. The unofficial makes me feel a lot better and also makes me think we will see a more traditional C-PF-SF-G-PG lineup next year, otherwise you are wasting 5 scholies on post players for one position.

Scroll down her profile just a little bit and it's right there, staring you in the face.

• Haha
Reactions: DocRon and TC4THREE
This could be significant RE: Thomas ; as I don't think UK has officially offered her but with them losing some height, that might propel an offer now. Also; Treasure Hunt might be a name to keep an eye on as far as a possible transfer target as I feel like her versatile wing style is something KG is trying to mold the roster into. But it'll be hard to pull her away from the SEC.

Odds are pretty high I would think that Purdue adds either a wing or front court depth. Personally I hope it’s someone who can play the 2 or 3 spot, I’ve said it before, on a really good team Layden won’t be the best player, more like the 2nd or 3rd best.

If she was attracted to Oregon for its style of play, I would be surprised if she'd consider IU and it's much slower, defense first scheme.

Purdue's offensive scheme of heavy reliance on the 3pt shot might be enticing to her, a 6'2 swing player who can shoot the 3 is exactly what KG is looking to build her offense around - I'm sure she'll reach out. I don't even think we received a visit from her out of HS but then that was under SV and her scheme was nothing like Oregons so disappointing but not exactly surprising.

Last edited:
If she was attracted to Oregon for its style of play, I would be surprised if she'd consider IU and it's much slower, defense first scheme.

Purdue's offensive scheme of heavy reliance on the 3pt shot might be enticing to her, a 6'2 swing player who can shoot the 3 is exactly what KG is looking to build her offense around - I'm sure she'll reach out. I don't even think we received a visit from her out of HS but then that was under SV and her scheme was nothing like Oregons so disappointing but not exactly surprising.
Her Twitter announcement is blanketed with replies from IU folks, and a couple from ND. Also saw one from Louisville - and given their style and success, might be the most attractive of area programs based on what you guys have said about her. I don’t follow HS much, or recruiting, so I may be speaking gibberish here…😊

Seeing IU WBB with a big fan following is definitely a weird phenomenon considering the program has been an absolute doormat all these years and everyone associated with IU pretended like it barely even existed. But hey, that's what consistent winning does to a program and they sold a lot of tickets to home games this year. Then again, IU fans are so desperate to support a winner, considering their floundering men's team the last 10 years, I shouldn't be surprised. Hopefully KG gets the program back up to their level ASAP and then hopefully we can get a REAL rivalry going... but winning recruiting battles like this one is a huge first step.

I’m sure she’s a day 1 starter if she comes to Purdue, Coach wants to play a quicker tempo hope she sells it hard, would be a great pickup.

Reactions: Rossm500
I would see Iowa being more of a threat than ND. Iowa and IU were among her finalists coming out of HS. I think it'd be tempting to team up with Clark for a couple years, and I see the system fitting her style of play more than IU. I just don't see how someone could go from playing Oregon's style of play to IU's. They are completely opposite.

I know the family well. Would be a great. Great kid and great family. I know nothing of her current list of schools but I would guess it will be hard to beat IU with ND second. Purdue would be facing a very difficult hill here in my opinion.
Iowa is in the mixaccording to one source in the IU forum. Her grandparents have ST to IU wbb.

Maybe she'll go to IU so she can still play 6 more seasons of basketball on the Ali Patberg plan?

IU and Oregon finished 53 and 54 in the country both averaging 71.3 points. Moren is on record that she would like to score around 80 per game. Just because she stresses defense doesn’t mean she doesn’t like to score.

I would see Iowa being more of a threat than ND. Iowa and IU were among her finalists coming out of HS. I think it'd be tempting to team up with Clark for a couple years, and I see the system fitting her style of play more than IU. I just don't see how someone could go from playing Oregon's style of play to IU's. They are completely opposite.
Yeah I forgot about Iowa. There is a connection there for sure

At IU she steps into Patbergs minutes on a potential FF team, at Purdue every starter returns and we add 3 additional back court players.... Even if she displaces one of our starters and gets big minutes it creates massive problems for CKG trying to keep 10 back court players happy and not have a jail break to the transfer portal after next year... Just having Hardin back could be problematic on that front.

I think we may very much be in the running for ND transfer 6'2 F Sam Brunelle - no concrete info - but she is following both KG and PurdueWBB on Twitter (and KG is following her back, plus the PurdueWBB account is liking her posts) - she also 'liked' Layden's post yesterday about being locked in for next year. Again nothing concrete but it can certainly be telling if you read between the lines.

She's an experienced, mobile post player that would certainly fit in with the system KG is trying to create. She was highly ranked coming out of HS, top 5 in the country, and has battled injuries during her time at ND - she was fully healthy this year and i'm sure is looking for a place to come in and log big minutes and be "featured". I'm sure UVA will also be competition as her hometown is just 30 min outside Charlottesville. But that is a COMPLETE rebuilding job and I think we have more pieces in place to win quicker - as she's a grad transfer I think that may be a factor.

Also - just saw a tweet that said her boyfriend is Ben Freehill who is a kicker on Purdue's football team.

Last edited:
Good news if it happens. Without a doubt, KG knows what she has to do and we'll just have to see. Lot off season for all sports with the transfers for every school.

ADVERTISEMENT