ADVERTISEMENT

Post your preseason All-B1G basketball teams

Nope, definitely finished in the final 8. Maybe you didn't know this, but that's what making the elite 8 means.

Personally, I'd be fine finishing Kenpom 100 as long as we go far in the tournament. Tournament success is ALL that matters.

If tournament success is all that matters, why are you trying to convince me that a guy who has only won a tournament game in 2 out of his 7 years of coaching is a good coach?

If tournament success is all that matters, why are you trying to convince me that a guy who has only won a tournament game in 2 out of his 7 years of coaching is a good coach?
Considering he was at a mid major and made it to the elite 8, I would say that's pretty good. Now, if he doesn't win tourney games more consistently moving forward, I will be in agreement with you. However, the evidence points to the contrary.

He was at Dayton.....the talent level he will have to work with at Indiana is completely different. He missed the tourney the first two years at Dayton as he was building the program, then made it to 4 consecutive tournaments. You know how many Tournaments Dayton had made it to before Archie arrived? They had been there only 5 times since 1990. He completely turned that program around from nothing. I don't care if he never had a top 25 offense or defense, he wasn't expected to at Dayton with that level of talent, and he still got pretty close to doing it.

And yeah, he didn't make it last year with Indiana, again, as he was building the program the way he wanted it built. It was 1 year, turnarounds don't always happen that fast. You should know that, since Painter's first season at Purdue ended with a losing record, and the same record in the BIG as the previous year before he came. Last place in conference. However, as he built the program, he turned it around and made it respectable. Archie has the coaching ability to do the same, but you're judging him after his first year at Indiana. Give it time.
Miller beat a 6 seed and a 10 seed to get to the elite 8. Pretty generous route seekmgaa he finished 6th in the A10 and didn’t beat a team that finished higher than 5th in their own conference other than 3 seed Syracuse.
That’s all you folks have to guide your hope. A 6 seed and a 10 seed.

Once again, you are attempting to make this about IU basketball. It is about the entire BIG not just the fools in Bloomington. Let it go for now. When we start a thread called "IU basketball in 2018" then you can bring in all those hopes and dreams.
Actually, I asked him who is All-frosh team would be. That could include any newcomer in the Big Ten.

However, I will let it go for now.

He was at Dayton.....the talent level he will have to work with at Indiana is completely different. He missed the tourney the first two years at Dayton as he was building the program, then made it to 4 consecutive tournaments. You know how many Tournaments Dayton had made it to before Archie arrived? They had been there only 5 times since 1990. He completely turned that program around from nothing. I don't care if he never had a top 25 offense or defense, he wasn't expected to at Dayton with that level of talent, and he still got pretty close to doing it.

And yeah, he didn't make it last year with Indiana, again, as he was building the program the way he wanted it built. It was 1 year, turnarounds don't always happen that fast. You should know that, since Painter's first season at Purdue ended with a losing record, and the same record in the BIG as the previous year before he came. Last place in conference. However, as he built the program, he turned it around and made it respectable. Archie has the coaching ability to do the same, but you're judging him after his first year at Indiana. Give it time.
Oh, no, you have us figured wrong. We think Archie is the coach fans have always dreamed about and he will take IU to heights never before seen. He recruits, coaches, and he has those boyish good looks. We all agree that you guys hit the jackpot when you hired him and you hit another jackpot with this incoming class. We don't see how you CAN'T go undefeated and win it all this year!

Is that enough affirmation for you? Can you stop seeking it now? Please?

Reactions: Fansince72
I just wish that the IU fans here would be logically consistent. They cite Tournament advancement as evidence of coaching prowess to support Miller (as was done for Crean.) However, they also claim that Crean and Davis were not good coaches even though they got further in the Tournament that Milller. This is contradictory. You can't have it both ways and maintain a logical argument.

Miller's elite 8 run was exactly like creams final four run. Dumb luck

I genuinely can't get over only 2 of his 7 years were years he won a tournament game.

I mean 5 out of 7 years going without a tournament win seems not just bad but horrendous.

Porter Moser won as many tournament games this year alone than Archie Miller has in his entire 7 years as a head coach. Whoever wrote that article where he ranked Archie Miller as a top 15 coach is a Skip Bayless level troll.

I just wish that the IU fans here would be logically consistent. They cite Tournament advancement as evidence of coaching prowess to support Miller (as was done for Crean.) However, they also claim that Crean and Davis were not good coaches even though they got further in the Tournament that Milller. This is contradictory. You can't have it both ways and maintain a logical argument.
This thread was dead in the water....

Crean did make the final 4... at Marquette... he was then given 9 years at IU where he only got to 3 Sweet 16s. Not acceptable. Fired.

Davis made the national championship in his first full season with all of Knight's players. After that he layed an egg for 5 years and was forced to resign.

If Archie doesn't have success in the next 5 to 6 years, I'm sure he will be replaced as well. I have faith that he is going to be pretty successful at IU though. He is already proving to be an elite recruiter.

I genuinely can't get over only 2 of his 7 years were years he won a tournament game.

I mean 5 out of 7 years going without a tournament win seems not just bad but horrendous.

Porter Moser won as many tournament games this year alone than Archie Miller has in his entire 7 years as a head coach. Whoever wrote that article where he ranked Archie Miller as a top 15 coach is a Skip Bayless level troll.
2 out of those 5 years were rebuild years (1st season at new school). The rest were at a mid major school.

By the way, all 4 of Archie's tournament wins have come against teams with better seeds. (Upset wins)

Painter in his 12 tournament wins has only beat a better seed 3 times.

I think we need to discuss some of the other BIG schools:
  1. So, do you guys think Nebraska has the horses to make a sustained run in the BUG this year? Are the top 4/5 predictions reasonable?
  2. Will the returning players at Minny have enough to lift that program out of the bottom of the BIG?
  3. How far will OSU drop? Do they have enough good players coming in this year to bring the program back over the next couple years? Will Holtsman still look like a wunderkind without Matta's recruits?
  4. Is there still someone playing basketball over there in Illinois?
:cool:

1. So, do you guys think Nebraska has the horses to make a sustained run in the BUG this year? Are the top 4/5 predictions reasonable?
  2. Will the returning players at Minny have enough to lift that program out of the bottom of the BIG?
  3. How far will OSU drop? Do they have enough good players coming in this year to bring the program back over the next couple years? Will Holtsman still look like a wunderkind without Matta's recruits?

1. Yes, and yes. Roby and Palmer are really good. Not much depth, so they need to stay injury free.
  2. Out of the bottom? As long as Amir Coffey is past his chronic injuries. Upper half? I Don't see it at all.
  3. They'll drop a bit of course, but not as much as some might think. Holtmann is pretty good. Not trying to dredge up this threads prior nonsense, but I equate OSU this year to IU last year; may not have the horses of some other teams, but coach and culture still will allow for a mid-conference finish.
  4. Trent Frazier. This top thirty recruit Ayo was basically un-recruited by any top tier power five teams = red flag. Major defections, including multiple kids who were brought in by Underwood and left after one year = bad culture. Oh, and an absolutely horrible front line.

Reactions: mathboy
1. I think Nebraska is being a bit over hyped, especially with a projected starter transferring last week. I would have them in the 5-8 range.

2. Minnesota will be better, but not by much. Nate Mason is a huge loss for them. I would have them around 10 or 11.

3. OSU will drop to the 7-10 range. Big time losses with Diop, Tate, and Williams.

4. No.

5. Yes, Rutgers will finish last...

And its just my opinion. The IU fans getting mad at me are approaching it as if I think they should concede this argument or something.

They are allowed to think my opinion is idiotic and completely disagree with it - but if you ask me why I believe Romeo will not be a top 5 freshman, then I'm going to tell you why. One thing I'm not is a troll - I believe what I type. I'm not out here trying to antagonize IU fans.

So -- being as objective as you can in a matter like this -- do you suppose you'd have the same opinion regarding Romeo's B10 prospects if he was suiting up for the Boilers?

FWIW, of course some highly touted players don't live up to their hype. And there's definitely a lot of hype surrounding Langford. So much so that it might do him something of a disservice -- provided he doesn't have a Trae Young kind of season (which are rare, even for the best players/prospects).

Predictions and forecasts and all that are, of course, meaningless -- a way to pass the time and make conversation until the actual ball is thrown in the air. That said, barring injury, I think the odds of Langford not making a post-season list of top 5 freshmen in the conference are pretty remote.

For one thing, he's going to get a whole lot of minutes. Moreover, because defenses will have to key so much on Morgan, Davis, and Smith down low, he's also likely to get a lot of triple-threat touches -- as contrasted with his HS career where he frequently drew double-teams and other kinds of special defensive attention.

This thread was dead in the water....

Crean did make the final 4... at Marquette... he was then given 9 years at IU where he only got to 3 Sweet 16s. Not acceptable. Fired.

Davis made the national championship in his first full season with all of Knight's players. After that he layed an egg for 5 years and was forced to resign.

If Archie doesn't have success in the next 5 to 6 years, I'm sure he will be replaced as well. I have faith that he is going to be pretty successful at IU though. He is already proving to be an elite recruiter.

Baseball, you make my point. Tournament progression is not a valid indicator of coaching prowess by your own acknowledgement. So trying to make Miller out to be a good coach based upon an NCAA run makes little/no sense according to you. As for recruiting, IU fans were always over here pointing out what a superior recruiter Crean was - getting 5-stars, etc. Now I am being told that doesn't matter either but Miller is a good coach because he has been recruiting well. This is contradictory. IU fans are cognitively dissonant.

1st Team:

-Carsen Edwards (Consensus POY, not unanimous though because certain sportswriters still prefer slow, plodding bigs that can't shoot who play under-the-rim)
-Ethan Happ
-Cassius Winston
-Juwan Morgan
-Charles Matthews

2nd Team:

-Anthony Cowan
-James Palmer Jr.
-Nick Ward
-Tyler Cook
-Zavier Simpson

All-Rookie Team:

-Eric Hunter
-Emmanuel Dowuona
-Trevion Williams
-Aaron Wheeler (Are RS Freshmen allowed? Didn't seem to matter to the NBA)
-Sasha Stefanovic

Worst Rookie:

-Romeo Langford

Also, I didn't go out to 3rd team, but I bet a second Boiler makes third team. My money is on Boudreaux, but wouldn't be surprised to see Haarms since there are so few other bigs likely to make the teams.

Last edited:
Baseball, you make my point. Tournament progression is not a valid indicator of coaching prowess by your own acknowledgement. So trying to make Miller out to be a good coach based upon an NCAA run makes little/no sense according to you. As for recruiting, IU fans were always over here pointing out what a superior recruiter Crean was - getting 5-stars, etc. Now I am being told that doesn't matter either but Miller is a good coach because he has been recruiting well. This is contradictory. IU fans are cognitively dissonant.

Its as simple as this, and I'll leave it at this. Archie took over a team not known for its basketball, that had been to the tourney only 5 times since 1990, he took two years to turn it around and then took them to 4 consecutive tournaments his last 4 years. He did it while winning over the whole city and becoming one of the most liked and admired people in town. People love him, he has confidence, he's down to earth and doesn't care about all the frills, glitz and glam, he just wants to coach basketball and wants to do it in a tough gritty way by playing defense. I don't care what you think, that's the kind of coach I want. Now if you and Mgkcbb will stop talking about Archie, this thread can get back on target. I left it alone for awhile thinking it would get back to topic, but Mgkcbb didn't let it. Can we move on now and just let the season answer all the questions?

Its as simple as this, and I'll leave it at this. Archie took over a team not known for its basketball, that had been to the tourney only 5 times since 1990, he took two years to turn it around and then took them to 4 consecutive tournaments his last 4 years. He did it while winning over the whole city and becoming one of the most liked and admired people in town. People love him, he has confidence, he's down to earth and doesn't care about all the frills, glitz and glam, he just wants to coach basketball and wants to do it in a tough gritty way by playing defense. I don't care what you think, that's the kind of coach I want. Now if you and Mgkcbb will stop talking about Archie, this thread can get back on target. I left it alone for awhile thinking it would get back to topic, but Mgkcbb didn't let it. Can we move on now and just let the season answer all the questions?

One, I don't think those words mean what you think they mean.
Two, you don't get to set the rules for the forum.
Three, if you don't like it, the intelligent thing to do would be for you to leave. I have no illusion about #3.

Didn't Dayton's success in the A-10 coincide with Butler and Xavier leaving for Big East. Sure made it much easier to get in the tourney.

I never said the only reason Archie is considered a good coach is because of his Elite 8 run. He has proven that he can take a team with not a lot of talent (all his Dayton teams), and be successful. He won his conference twice and had a 2nd place finish in his final 3 years at Dayton. He upset teams with a higher ranking 4 times in the tournament while at Dayton (for reference, Painter has only done that 3 times).

Crean was a great recruiter and even a great developmental coach. He was a terrible in game coach though. That lead to very inconsistent play.

Since Archie has proven that he can do a lot with little, there is no reason to think he wont be very successful with elite talent. Time will tell though.

1st Team:

-Carsen Edwards (Consensus POY, not unanimous though because certain sportswriters still prefer slow, plodding bigs that can't shoot who play under-the-rim)
-Ethan Happ
-Cassius Winston
-Juwan Morgan
-Charles Matthews

2nd Team:

-Anthony Cowan
-James Palmer Jr.
-Nick Ward
-Tyler Cook
-Zavier Simpson

All-Rookie Team:

-Eric Hunter
-Emmanuel Dowuona
-Trevion Williams
-Aaron Wheeler (Are RS Freshmen allowed? Didn't seem to matter to the NBA)
-Sasha Stefanovic

Worst Rookie:

-Romeo Langford

Also, I didn't go out to 3rd team, but I bet a second Boiler makes third team. My money is on Boudreaux, but wouldn't be surprised to see Haarms since there are so few other bigs likely to make the teams.
I might move Zavier Simpson to first team. Not sure who I would displace. Simpson is lighting in a bottle both defensively and offensively. There was a reason Painter went after him so hard.

By the way, good luck with that bait you cast. I am sure you will catch some trolls with it.

I might move Zavier Simpson to first team. Not sure who I would displace. Simpson is lighting in a bottle both defensively and offensively. There was a reason Painter went after him so hard.

By the way, good luck with that bait you cast. I am sure you will catch some trolls with it.
Nah, that was an obvious troll post, so it wont catch anything. This whole thing started, because a poster truly believes Romeo isn't one of the best 5 Freshmen in the B1G. I came in and countered with the reasons that he is.

Along the way, someone else started saying Archie sucks which obviously lead to an Archie vs Painter debate.

My only issue with Simpson is he can't shoot. Great finisher at the rim and great defender for his size. But that one-dimensionality in scoring I think keeps him from being a first-teamer.

And how bad could it be? It's a Purdue forum after all haha. ;)

Nah, that was an obvious troll post, so it wont catch anything. This whole thing started, because a poster truly believes Romeo isn't one of the best 5 Freshmen in the B1G. I came in and countered with the reasons that he is.

Along the way, someone else started saying Archie sucks which obviously lead to an Archie vs Painter debate.
I mean, I did mean most of my post legitimately... won't say which parts...

there was more to it than that.

ADVERTISEMENT