ADVERTISEMENT

Post your preseason All-B1G basketball teams

This guy literally went undrafted a month ago. What were the concerns? The guy couldn't shoot in college.

Notice he's ranked 5th in his class, exactly where Romeo is ranked.
And he is a point guard. Plays different position. We shall see but a lot of people that don’t have mine or your bias thinks Romeo is pretty good. And to be mentioned with some of the greats to come out of Indiana HS BB is something special as I both think we agree Indiana HS BB is one of if not the best. But he still has to perform and I believe he will. He has a lot of talent around him as well.

And he is a point guard. Plays different position. We shall see but a lot of people that don’t have mine or your bias thinks Romeo is pretty good. And to be mentioned with some of the greats to come out of Indiana HS BB is something special as I both think we agree Indiana HS BB is one of if not the best. But he still has to perform and I believe he will. He has a lot of talent around him as well.

I don't think Romeo is bad nor do I think he will go undrafted. I just don't think his game is going to translate into having a huge impact as a freshman. I also don't think a guy who can't shoot and relies on getting to the line vs undersized high schoolers will be one of the 5 best freshman in this conference.

And when people come in and sarcastically drop the "well he's highly ranked so NBA scouts disagree with you" line, you have to introduce them to reality - that NBA scouts do not care about what Rivals ranks players during their high school careers. It's just a silly thing to come in and say a month after the 5th ranked guy in the 2017 class went undrafted.

Cherry picked stats: Joe Weiskamp was 16%!from three and 37.5% total fg during his last AAU season, yet some think he will be all B1G freshman next year.

Can you imagine?

I don't think Romeo is bad nor do I think he will go undrafted. I just don't think his game is going to translate into having a huge impact as a freshman. I also don't think a guy who can't shoot and relies on getting to the line vs undersized high schoolers will be one of the 5 best freshman in this conference.

And when people come in and sarcastically drop the "well he's highly ranked so NBA scouts disagree with you" line, you have to introduce them to reality - that NBA scouts do not care about what Rivals ranks players during their high school careers. It's just a silly thing to come in and say a month after the 5th ranked guy in the 2017 class went undrafted.
I wasn’t being sarcastic or a troll so apologize if that came across. Just stating a lot of ppl without my bias think he will do well. I don’t think he’s a knock down 3 point shooter but I think he has a really good stroke and is far from can’t shoot. He could turn out to be less than many think I just think there is enough there from playing against really good competition where he’s been good to great. I do think he has a luxury with being able to come in and surrounded by a lot of talent. I think Fitzner will be a big plus especially if Deron doesn’t come back 100%. And I think that Juwan is good as anyone in the league and will have a huge impact as much as anyone minus maybe Carsen. I appreciate you opinion. Disagree but doesn’t mean I can’t respect it.

Reactions: KisteK
Last edited:
Man, the IU fans are out today.
So much for the little brother syndrome they try to tag on us.

Sounds like Painter and Purdue were lucky not to get Romeo. Wouldn’t want that kind of player on the team.
raw

Romeo was a 35% 3-pt shooter over his HS career. IIRC, the range of his years was 31-38%. He is now moving on to a court where the 3-pt. line is further away with more athletic defenders and his percentage is expected to improve? It may occur but it is far from a given.

Romeo was a 35% 3-pt shooter over his HS career. IIRC, the range of his years was 31-38%. He is now moving on to a court where the 3-pt. line is further away with more athletic defenders and his percentage is expected to improve? It may occur but it is far from a given.
Klay Thompson improved his 3pt percentage when he went to the NBA

Romeo is soft and often injured. Reminds me of Eric Gordon . Great player but extremely soft.

They came in fourth in the big, lost first round in the big tourney, and lost in the first round of the NCAA tourney.

Reactions: Roeder
Iu has no big or point guard, and we know they can't play d. Nit

Yeah I don't believe he is.

His 2017 AAU stats were just so bad. He's a 35% career 3 point shooter in IHSAA. Add his various all star events to that and it dips to 34%. In AAU, he didn't really contribute anything besides inefficient volume shooting. It's hard to imagine someone who was an inefficient chucker (and nothing else) in the 2017 AAU season is going to come in and all of the sudden be an efficient scorer who expands his game and does other things against B1G talent. Take into account neither of Indiana's point guards are scoring threats and it's likely Romeo draws the best perimeter defender on each team.

I think he's going to have a similar season to the FR. season of Josh Langford, another 5 star shooting guard who came into the B1G and struggled to adjust to the level of competition going from high schoolers to 21 year old men.

That omission is ridiculous at such a level that it discredits the rest of your post. Akin to leaving Carsen off of the first team in terms of magnitude of omission.

Reactions: BoilerIron
Those lists will come out right before the start of the season like they do every year, and Romeo will not only be on them, but he will be the pick for B1GFOY.
Please don't become Stu Jr., where the published "experts" can't be questioned.

Please don't become Stu Jr., where the published "experts" can't be questioned.

Who is stu? Who are these "experts"?

EG was supposed to take you to the National Title. You're celebrating that he didn't?

EG had us first in the conference and #3 in the nation prior to Sampson's firing(deserved).

Painter was supposed to take you to a title. You guys celebrate all the time that he has taken you to the sweet 16.

Who is stu? Who are these "experts"?

EG had us first in the conference and #3 in the nation prior to Sampson's firing(deserved).

Painter was supposed to take you to a title. You guys celebrate all the time that he has taken you to the sweet 16.
Um, you are the one who mentioned the published lists, as if they will be the final word. And you are the one who talked about EG as if he won a National Title for IU.

With your responses, I'm beginning to think that you and Stu are closer than you are letting on.

Um, you are the one who mentioned the published lists, as if they will be the final word. And you are the one who talked about EG as if he won a National Title for IU.

With your responses, I'm beginning to think that you and Stu are closer than you are letting on.
Again, who is Stu? I can guarantee you IU fans will be satisfied with Romeo averaging 20+/gm like EG. I don't remember insinuating that EG won IU a national title...

Fake news

https://www.prepcircuit.com/roster_players/17866955?subseason=412391

He had a higher fg%, FT%, more rebounds per game and higher 3 point% in AAU last year than Romeo Langford.

Wieskamps 4 years in high school in Iowa:

41% from 3, 40% from 3, 34% from 3, 33% from 3.

The stats I found for him were from the Adidas Gauntlet. If he was only 33/34 two of years in Iowa high school ball that’s not so great.
Anyway, I’m fairly certain that you’re trolling IU fans and that’s okay, I guess.
Doesn’t do this board much of a favor IMO.

The stats I found for him were from the Adidas Gauntlet. If he was only 33/34 two of years in Iowa high school ball that’s not so great.
Anyway, I’m fairly certain that you’re trolling IU fans and that’s okay, I guess.
Doesn’t do this board much of a favor IMO.

Link the stats then, please.

He was North of 40% 2 of the 4 years in high school. Wieskamp is a great shooter.

Romeo Langford shot 31% as a high school junior, so in your very own words, "no so great" and you can stop arguing with me about it now.

Also, that was a nice sly attempt of passing the buck there but I'm not going to let you get away with it. It's impossible for me to be trolling Indiana fans on a Purdue board. This is supposed to be for Purdue fans. Why any of you are even here trolling this thread is beyond me. Nice try though, chief.

Reactions: KisteK and Roeder
My threads been completely derailed and ruined with the Romeo discussion so Id like this to be my last post on the topic. If you have anymore questions, feel free to PM me and I'll continue giving you even more data that supports the choice.

I can see why, to the casual fan, this seems like an outrageous omission on my part. But, it's not.

Here's some recent #5 overall recruits who didn't make their conferences post season all freshman team

As you can see, it's not unprecedented and has happened 50% of the last 6 years. I know this may come as a shock to some people, but recruiting rankings are just arbitrary third party rankings that do not guarantee anything. If you are under the impression they do guarantee success, you're going to continually be disappointed every single year.

So while you are entitled to sort by recruiting rankings, do not expect everyone to subscribe to the surface level thinking. Some of us like to do a deeper dive into the stats and more accurately project.

Reactions: mathboy
I wasn’t being sarcastic or a troll so apologize if that came across. Just stating a lot of ppl without my bias think he will do well. I don’t think he’s a knock down 3 point shooter but I think he has a really good stroke and is far from can’t shoot. He could turn out to be less than many think I just think there is enough there from playing against really good competition where he’s been good to great. I do think he has a luxury with being able to come in and surrounded by a lot of talent. I think Fitzner will be a big plus especially if Deron doesn’t come back 100%. And I think that Juwan is good as anyone in the league and will have a huge impact as much as anyone minus maybe Carsen. I appreciate you opinion. Disagree but doesn’t mean I can’t respect it.

Milan, I’ve seen this perception frequently, that there will be ‘a lot of talent’ surrounding Romeo. Can you help me understand where that is coming from given that you lose two of your top four players from a team last year that had some bright spots but was on a whole quite pedestrian.

I like Morgan a lot and agree that he’s one of the top ten players in the league, although to date he’s been at his best as an undersized post and will likely be asked to play more wing. Davis has shown the potential to be effective, although I’m not sure how complementary he is to Morgan as a player. As for the rest, I’m sure there’s potential for improvement, but if they were that good why didn’t they make more of an impact last year?

I think IU could be good next year, with upside potential of making the tourney, finishing in the top 5 in the conference and splitting the season series with Purdue, but from my perspective Romeo will need to be as good as advertised, I.e. at a minimum as all conference type player.

You could correctly argue that Purdue has even more question marks coming into the year with less production returning, but I know why guys like Cline, Haarms and Eastern didn’t play more last year, it’s becaise they were playing on a 30 win team that featured three seniors that were each among the top at their position in the league and a fourth who was hit open shots and didn’t turn the ball over.

My threads been completely derailed and ruined with the Romeo discussion so Id like this to be my last post on the topic. If you have anymore questions, feel free to PM me and I'll continue giving you even more data that supports the choice.

I can see why, to the casual fan, this seems like an outrageous omission on my part. But, it's not.

Here's some recent #5 overall recruits who didn't make their conferences post season all freshman team

As you can see, it's not unprecedented and has happened 50% of the last 6 years. I know this may come as a shock to some people, but recruiting rankings are just arbitrary third party rankings that do not guarantee anything. If you are under the impression they do guarantee success, you're going to continually be disappointed every single year.

So while you are entitled to sort by recruiting rankings, do not expect everyone to subscribe to the surface level thinking. Some of us like to do a deeper dive into the stats and more accurately project.
The players you cited had very successful college careers at their respective schools. It would seem being ranked top 5 does in fact guarentee college success. You guys don't need to worry about whether a top 5 recruit would be an impact player or not around here though.

Milan, I’ve seen this perception frequently, that there will be ‘a lot of talent’ surrounding Romeo. Can you help me understand where that is coming from given that you lose two of your top four players from a team last year that had some bright spots but was on a whole quite pedestrian.

I like Morgan a lot and agree that he’s one of the top ten players in the league, although to date he’s been at his best as an undersized post and will likely be asked to play more wing. Davis has shown the potential to be effective, although I’m not sure how complementary he is to Morgan as a player. As for the rest, I’m sure there’s potential for improvement, but if they were that good why didn’t they make more of an impact last year?

I think IU could be good next year, with upside potential of making the tourney, finishing in the top 5 in the conference and splitting the season series with Purdue, but from my perspective Romeo will need to be as good as advertised, I.e. at a minimum as all conference type player.

You could correctly argue that Purdue has even more question marks coming into the year with less production returning, but I know why guys like Cline, Haarms and Eastern didn’t play more last year, it’s becaise they were playing on a 30 win team that featured three seniors that were each among the top at their position in the league and a fourth who was hit open shots and didn’t turn the ball over.
The only player of note that we lost this offseason was Robert Johnson, and Romeo more than makes up for that loss. Morgan will get almost all of his minutes at the 4 or 5, because Deron Davis wont be ready to play till at least January (torn Achilles).

IMO Romeo and Morgan will combine to have a similar impact that Gordon and DJ White did.

The players you cited had very successful college careers at their respective schools. It would seem being ranked top 5 does in fact guarentee college success. You guys don't need to worry about whether a top 5 recruit would be an impact player or not around here though.

You are wrong seemingly every time you quote me. I am not trying to piss you off and turn this into some message board flame war but you really need to stop and fact check the things you say before you post them if we are to have a reasonable discussion here.

1. Preseason All Frosh team not being real - you were wrong about that but confidently said it was real
2. Romeos shooting % - you were wrong about that but confidently told me I was wrong
And now this

3. Cheick Diallo had a very successful career? In 27 career games, he averaged 3 points per game and recorded 1 total assist vs 17 turnovers. He was terrible at Kansas. He only appeared in one of Kansas tournament games and played 7 mins in a blowout. Despite his lofty recruiting ranking, he was one of the worst freshmen, and players in general, in the entire nation.

You are wrong seemingly every time you quote me. I am not trying to piss you off and turn this into some message board flame war but you really need to stop and fact check the things you say before you post them if we are to have a reasonable discussion here.

1. Preseason All Frosh team not being real - you were wrong about that but confidently said it was real
2. Romeos shooting % - you were wrong about that but confidently told me I was wrong
And now this

3. Cheick Diallo had a very successful career? In 27 career games, he averaged 3 points per game and recorded 1 total assist vs 17 turnovers. He was terrible at Kansas. He only appeared in one of Kansas tournament games and played 7 mins in a blowout. Despite his lofty recruiting ranking, he was one of the worst freshmen, and players in general, in the entire nation.
How was I wrong about romeo's 3pt percentage? He was a career 36% shooter at New Albany. You are coming up with 34% because you aren't counting his freshman for some reason.

Are you really going to argue with me that Duvall and Harrison didn't have success in college?

How about this. I will ban bet you that Romeo wins FOY. I know this is a big decision for you since you have lost ban bets on every other message board at this point.

Both of you just need to let it go. Yes, Romeo will probably win Big Ten Freshman of the year. Will he live up to the expectations IU fans have for him? Who knows? That's why they play the game. There is no point in continuing to go back and forth, because neither of you are going to change the other's opinion.

How was I wrong about romeo's 3pt percentage? He was a career 36% shooter at New Albany. You are coming up with 34% because you aren't counting his freshman for some reason.

Are you really going to argue with me that Duvall and Harrison didn't have success in college?

How about this. I will ban bet you that Romeo wins FOY. I know this is a big decision for you since you have lost ban bets on every other message board at this point.

Firstly, thanks for acknowledging you were wrong about Diallo. Like I said, gotta fact check these things before you rush to post them.

Duval had a decent, not great, freshman year. He was the worst starter on Duke by a mile. There's a reason he went from #5 recruit in the nation to undrafted in 12 months.

Harrison is the only player who had a really successful career out of the 3, and he played 2 years at Kentucky on really talented and loaded teams, much more talented than Romeo Langfords team is.

As for betting you - you are an Indiana fan on a Purdue board. There is nothing for you to lose here. I don't know if you thought you were slick offering the "Lets do a ban bet for a board I shouldn't even be posting on anyways as an Indiana slapjack", but thats not even decent bait, and I'm obviously not interested.

Firstly, thanks for acknowledging you were wrong about Diallo. Like I said, gotta fact check these things before you rush to post them.

Duval had a decent, not great, freshman year. He was the worst starter on Duke by a mile. There's a reason he went from #5 recruit in the nation to undrafted in 12 months.

Harrison is the only player who had a really successful career out of the 3, and he played 2 years at Kentucky on really talented and loaded teams, much more talented than Romeo Langfords team is.

As for betting you - you are an Indiana fan on a Purdue board. There is nothing for you to lose here. I don't know if you thought you were slick offering the "Lets do a ban bet for a board I shouldn't even be posting on anyways as an Indiana slapjack", but thats not even decent bait, and I'm obviously not interested.
Surely you have caught your limit and have a full stringer by now. It was a great effort, can we let it die now?

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
Both of you just need to let it go. Yes, Romeo will probably win Big Ten Freshman of the year. Will he live up to the expectations IU fans have for him? Who knows? That's why they play the game. There is no point in continuing to go back and forth, because neither of you are going to change the other's opinion.

Agreed NC Trojan! I have mightily contributed to this thread being hijacked, and that’s not okay.

What is there to lose? That’s what.

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
You are correct. Sorry for my rant, I will let it go now.

You are not responsible for the emotional fragility of visitors. If not mentioning a player on a Purdue message board causes a meltdown by fans of a rival school, and they don't have the self-control not to "act out", that's on them.

Again, who is Stu? I can guarantee you IU fans will be satisfied with Romeo averaging 20+/gm like EG. I don't remember insinuating that EG won IU a national title...
I don’t think he’s watching the autocorrect, I think he’s referring to Snu, not Stu.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
The only player of note that we lost this offseason was Robert Johnson, and Romeo more than makes up for that loss. Morgan will get almost all of his minutes at the 4 or 5, because Deron Davis wont be ready to play till at least January (torn Achilles).

IMO Romeo and Morgan will combine to have a similar impact that Gordon and DJ White did.

I don’t disagree. As I said, I expect IU to make the tourney but for that to happen Romeo has to be really good, as the rest of the squad looks much like last year’s 16 win team minus your second best player.

I went to Columbus east. The school made a special time to play them his junior year in the afternoon. Romeo had a hangnail the night before in a game , and couldn't play against us . Soft. Calipari said the same thing about him when he was supposed to play with ce last summer with the 19u. He had a sore back and wouldn't play, because he wasn't a starter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT