ADVERTISEMENT

Portal Pause, NIL Cap

Mar 27, 2022
Portal/NIL out of control, how about;

-can only transfer after completing 2 years of eligibility
-second transfer has to sit out a year
-NIL cap per player and per team

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
When/why did they switch from having to redshirt when transferring anyways? Didn’t it used to be unless you finished your degree you had to sit a year if you transferred?

Reactions: Schnelk
Terrible ideas. Let the kids transfer like any other student
I say have an in season portal extension just at the regular seasons end.
For Basketball make it just after selection Sunday so teams can load up for the NCAA Tourney.
For Football just after they announce the play off teams.
That will give kids that weren't going to make the tourney or play offs a chance to experience it.

Terrible ideas. Let the kids transfer like any other student

To extend that logic....a student can transfer mid year.

Thus in your mind, a basketball player can transfer in December from say ISU to Purdue and start playing in January for the Boilers.

With NIL, my star guard goes down in Dec, so like Miami, I just buy one from another team to take over in Jan.

Interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ajas0810
The NCAA is a professional league now.
Most professional leagues have salary caps, a draft, and rules to free agency such as contact times. I don’t really see many of these rules in the new NCAA pro league, or whatever rules there have are not being enforced. The payroll of a team is limitless right now.

Most professional leagues have salary caps, a draft, and rules to free agency such as contact times. I don’t really see many of these rules in the new NCAA pro league, or whatever rules there have are not being enforced. The payroll of a team is limitless right now.
Exactly!

When the essence of the team/league depends on fair competition between schools, they are dependent upon each other. It’s not the same as a student, they have no bearing on each other when and where they go.

Totally need some rules and guidelines, again, see pro sports ………

Reactions: wferrel
The logical thing to do is to allow teams to pay their players directly. I know that this isn’t what the athletic departments desire as it would be a financial drain, but why should it be prohibited if the kids are no longer amateurs? The upside is that, as was mentioned, the students could then be offered contracts with incentives to stay for multiple years.

I don’t want this, but it makes more sense to me than the current NIL only system. That said, I could only see it happening if forced by the courts.

Reactions: Schnelk
A crazy thought I had is the years of eligibility that a player has. I could see someone challenging that in court to eventually stay in school forever and get paid to play sports. A player could just keep going for multiple degrees and remain a student athlete, making more money than he could outside of college. If the amateur rule that the NCAA had could be voided, why couldn’t the eligibility rule be voided also by a court of law?

Reactions: indyogb
Portal/NIL out of control, how about;

-can only transfer after completing 2 years of eligibility
-second transfer has to sit out a year
-NIL cap per player and per team
I find it interesting how IU and Purdue fans...Are all out their minds about the NIL.
Get on board or you'll loose.
That's how it's going work...

Exactly!

When the essence of the team/league depends on fair competition between schools, they are dependent upon each other. It’s not the same as a student, they have no bearing on each other when and where they go.

Totally need some rules and guidelines, again, see pro sports ………

Quintessential Pandora's Box......and it's past the point of no return fueled with cold cash.

Candidly, the recent results may have been accelerated with the convergence of the revised transfer rule, NIL rulings and state regulation only, and the COVID-19 free eligibility year. It's a new horizon......schools/coaches will need to plan, choose, and tread wisely.......better be sure........

you-have-chosen-wisely-choose.gif

indiana-jones-he-chose-poorly.gif

It's ruining college basketball. In the next few years, there will be only a handful of teams that can compete. I love baseball, but hate the way MLB is structured in that only big market teams can compete. College basketball is heading that direction.

One would think that.

However, with one year into NIL we just had the most parity in the NCAAT tourney we ever have had with no 1, 2 or 3 seed even making the F4. And 3 of the 4 teams in their first final four ever.

I imagine the nil/transfers weakened some usually good teams, helped others like all 4 FF teams, and some had no or little effect like Purdue.

Last edited:
Cannot tell that yet from the current tournament
It's ruining college basketball. In the next few years, there will be only a handful of teams that can compete. I love baseball, but hate the way MLB is structured in that only big market teams can compete. College basketball is heading that direction.
Yes! It’s a mess………

Paying the players has merit provided the playing field is level, there’s salary caps, team caps etc. Otherwise it’s a MLB fiasco

Some schools may opt out of the player pay league or at least big money pay league and keep more of a student athlete scholarship model

I don’t think so, you have to remember, kids want to play, that will always even the field.

You, can’t…. I guess you didn’t know the Cane guards are each making 800k + a new car.
They’re the exception, Texas blew that game against them though, they’re far from a great team, no doubt that Pack was huge for them though. They were in the elite 8 last year with most of their players returning.

Reactions: DannyGranger
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT