ADVERTISEMENT

Portal News???

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
Mike Carmen says today in his J&C article on Kyle entering the portal that both Brooke Moore and Gony have definitely entered the portal. And that Doumbia put her name in the portal and then withdrew it the next day.

Even though suspected, I had not heard that reported as definite news. Might Doumbia be thinking of coming back?

Purdue women's basketball center Ra Shaya Kyle enters NCAA transfer portal

Mike Carmen says today in his J&C article on Kyle entering the portal that both Brooke Moore and Gony have definitely entered the portal. And that Doumbia put her name in the portal and then withdrew it the next day.

Even though suspected, I had not heard that reported as definite news. Might Doumbia be thinking of coming back?

Purdue women's basketball center Ra Shaya Kyle enters NCAA transfer portal
Maybe she wants a masters, with Kyle leaving maybe Coach told her there’s room for her to return.

Reactions: DocRon
I did not realize she had not played since Jan 31 and only had a total of 10 points and 5 rebounds in the 10 games before that. Probably good for her and the team that she plays at someplace more her level.

This is surprising. She was basically given the keys to the offense as a point forward to do whatever she wanted and play a ton of minutes, I'm not sure where she's going to find a school that even remotely gives her that kind of control because she's not a great shooter by any means. She has said over and over how much she loves playing for KG.

This portal is getting to be ridiculous.

Reactions: JeffBoiler

This is surprising. She was basically given the keys to the offense as a point forward to do whatever she wanted and play a ton of minutes, I'm not sure where she's going to find a school that even remotely gives her that kind of control because she's not a great shooter by any means. She has said over and over how much she loves playing for KG.

This portal is getting to be ridiculous.
I don’t get that one either, oh well, move on and get someone that wants to be here.

Reactions: BoilerUp81
Hmmm…. Really sorry to lose her, but I hope she has landed someplace that’s a win-win all around. Was surprised when she entered the portal after graduating, but it’s completely unknown what conversations, plans, etc were had with CKG. She gave us 2 solid years, and maybe Purdue doesn’t offer the graduate program she wants. I wish her all the best.
I think being demoted from starting when she was pretty clearly one of the three best players on the team but saw others less talented and contributing less than her getting starts and more minutes may have been a huge factor in her moving on.

Reactions: RBryant311
I think being demoted from starting when she was pretty clearly one of the three best players on the team but saw others less talented and contributing less than her getting starts and more minutes may have been a huge factor in her moving on.
I am confused by your post. Terry started 32/32 games. Her mins/game average (29.7) were exceeded only by Layden (34.1) and Hardin (31.2).

As others have said, no one knows what post-season discussions Coach Gearlds had with her but the factors you cite do not seem to be operative here.

I am confused by your post. Terry started 32/32 games. Her mins/game average (29.7) were exceeded only by Layden (34.1) and Hardin (31.2).

As others have said, no one knows what post-season discussions Coach Gearlds had with her but the factors you cite do not seem to be operative here.

Sorry, I thought we were talking about Moore, since that was who the tweet was about. Terry's decision makes no sense to me UNLESS she is about to be academically ineligible if she stays at Purdue.
Agreed about both Terry and Moore. Moore was one of the teams best players, she deserved to be starting, Terry’s move is a head scratcher if she has to sit out a year, she was given the keys, baffled at why she left. Having said that, there were games I watched when she wasn’t good, her shooting was terrible from the outside.

Sorry, I thought we were talking about Moore, since that was who the tweet was about. Terry's decision makes no sense to me UNLESS she is about to be academically ineligible if she stays at Purdue.
My apologies, Michael. Yes, this portion of the thread was about Moore and I screwed that up.

My apologies, Michael. Yes, this portion of the thread was about Moore and I screwed that up.
No worries, it was easy to get confused, no harm done. And you didn't come in throwing out insults like the resident middle school troll that likes to attack posts of anyone that doesn't kiss his ass. Is he really dumb enough to believe anyone buys his "I stopped reading after..." shtick? Come on, that easily shows he has been outclassed and has no argument against the logic of the post but is too arrogant and thinks so little of the intellect of those that post here that he thinks ANYONE is dumb enough not to see through that BS. He would be better off just staying silent than boldly announcing how little intelligence, class, and apparently reading comprehension he has.

Agreed about both Terry and Moore. Moore was one of the teams best players, she deserved to be starting, Terry’s move is a head scratcher if she has to sit out a year, she was given the keys, baffled at why she left. Having said that, there were games I watched when she wasn’t good, her shooting was terrible from the outside.
I hate to lose Moore. As much as I appreciate all that Harden has done for the team, I would have preferred one more with Moore in a starting position. I think Harden returning for an additional year drove this decision. Maybe not.

I hate to lose Moore. As much as I appreciate all that Harden has done for the team, I would have preferred one more with Moore in a starting position. I think Harden returning for an additional year drove this decision. Maybe not.
IF Hardin is starting next year, I do not expect us to improve. She is so very limited as a player that she makes it like we are playing 4 on 5.

Reactions: 3ZSDAD
From what I've heard from a few people near the team Moore was the cause of some off the court drama and problems towards the end of the year. Got the impression that it was better for her to leave in order to have a less selfish culture.

Thought I posted that yesterday. Must have messed it up. Technology isn't always my friend LOL

Agree with you about Hardin. Glad to have her leadership back but definitely not if its as a 30+ minute player.

From what I've heard from a few people near the team Moore was the cause of some off the court drama and problems towards the end of the year. Got the impression that it was better for her to leave in order to have a less selfish culture.

Thought I posted that yesterday. Must have messed it up. Technology isn't always my friend LOL

Agree with you about Hardin. Glad to have her leadership back but definitely not if its as a 30+ minute player.
I think you posted it yesterday but on a different thread. I can see Moore getting frustrated sitting behind Hardin, and it causing drama on the team. Hardin shot 26% for 3 in BT play, and little better from inside the arc. She gave us under 6 points a night in conference play, but led the team in minutes played. Add to that fact that she played pretty weak defense, and If I had been Moore I would have been getting annoyed myself.

I think you posted it yesterday but on a different thread. I can see Moore getting frustrated sitting behind Hardin, and it causing drama on the team. Hardin shot 26% for 3 in BT play, and little better from inside the arc. She gave us under 6 points a night in conference play, but led the team in minutes played. Add to that fact that she played pretty weak defense, and If I had been Moore I would have been getting annoyed myself.
I've always wondered how Hardin got her rep as a shooter. Because I've sure never seen it. She's so limited athletically that she struggles to even get a shot off......and I think this causes her to rush the shot. Most times it's not even close to going in.

Moore although being quite small is definitely the superior player.

From my limited observations, in the last several games, the team didn’t seem to have the same chemistry and joy they exhibited earlier in the season. In many photos that included Moore, she didn’t look happy. Including the Senior Night photos. As if things had soured somewhat… but they also weren’t winning as much, which can put a damper on things.
Agree with others about Hardin - glad she’s returning but hope she can be more productive on offense, or her minutes should decrease. Good (tough) defender though.
Still sad to lose Moore, surprised about Terry entering the portal - bad decision IMHO, after transferring from Illinois, now jumping ship again. Oh well …. I trust CKG will navigate this “mess” just fine.

Ya know, the mens team seemed to have a similar decline in chemistry and energy the last few games of the season and in the post season. Grind of the B-10?

Reactions: BoilerRingside
From my limited observations, in the last several games, the team didn’t seem to have the same chemistry and joy they exhibited earlier in the season. In many photos that included Moore, she didn’t look happy. Including the Senior Night photos. As if things had soured somewhat… but they also weren’t winning as much, which can put a damper on things.
Agree with others about Hardin - glad she’s returning but hope she can be more productive on offense, or her minutes should decrease. Good (tough) defender though.
Still sad to lose Moore, surprised about Terry entering the portal - bad decision IMHO, after transferring from Illinois, now jumping ship again. Oh well …. I trust CKG will navigate this “mess” just fine.

Ya know, the mens team seemed to have a similar decline in chemistry and energy the last few games of the season and in the post season. Grind of the B-10?
On the off season additions thread it’s mentioned that there’s a good chance Terry returns, also talks about a visit from a seemingly good transfer from WAC player of the year Caitlyn Harper from Cal Baptist. Had no clue they were in the WAC.

There are 13 other teams in the BT and few of them have had the late season slides we have for a dozen years or so. Is our conditioning an issue or is it team chemistry has not been right combined with an abusive coach for most of that time? I do not buy its the grind, because IU only played 7 players, 5 over 30 minutes a game and they still finished strong.

I've always wondered how Hardin got her rep as a shooter. Because I've sure never seen it. She's so limited athletically that she struggles to even get a shot off......and I think this causes her to rush the shot. Most times it's not even close to going in.

Moore although being quite small is definitely the superior player.
I remember seeinng Hardin get hot and hit 3 (or 4 out of 6 etc) 3PT shots in a row but it did not happen often and not in the last half of the Big Ten season when the whole team seemed to slump. Like most 3PT shooters, she was very streaky.

And coach KG always complimented her (earlier in the season) on defending post players taller than she was (which she was forced to do because of our limited post personnel - espeically after Kyle went out) but again I thought that faded as the season went on.

I remember seeinng Hardin get hot and hit 3 (or 4 out of 6 etc) 3PT shots in a row but it did not happen often and not in the last half of the Big Ten season when the whole team seemed to slump. Like most 3PT shooters, she was very streaky.

And coach KG always complimented her (earlier in the season) on defending post players taller than she was (which she was forced to do because of our limited post personnel - espeically after Kyle went out) but again I thought that faded as the season went on.
For the whole of BT play Hardin averaged 26% on threes and under 30% on 2 point shots. I remember vividly watching one game and CKG berating Hardin asking her who she was guarding after Terry picked up a foul trying to stop the player that Hardin was supposed to be on from driving. Hardin was 15' away, guarding air at the time. Hardin shot well against the weak teams we played. Once the competition got stiffer she was no longer able to get her shot off in rhythm and had to rush shots to get them off at all.

Hardin played more than Moore this year because she was taller and had a bigger build so she was able to guard bigger players, something that is needed in a 3/4 guard system. Moore is barely 5'6 and small, a great shooter/scorer but she was limited defensively in our system - thus why she was needed to come off the bench and provide instant offense - which she did well. She probably wants a different role but I figured she'd transfer to a mid major for that as I think her role with Ole Miss will be very similar as her size as an off/scoring guard is a defensive limitation in conferences like the Big 10 and SEC.

Reactions: BoilerRingside
She is the Sasha Stepanovich of the women's team. Should play 10-15 minutes a game, if they play over that amount you have a problem.
I am hopeful that through some addition we have enough post players that Learn can start at PF and at least play facing the rim. Her and Layden could be a killer tandem switching in and out of the post flashing to the rim or putting up threes. Learn played guard in HS and is really WAY out of position at center. Here's hoping for a transfer or Thomas to shore up the middle for us soon. Its not looking promising for Harper since she is still not committed anywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT