ADVERTISEMENT

Poole named Indiana All-Star

As expected, Purdue signee Jordyn Poole has been tabbed as an Indiana All-Star, marking a fifth straight year with a Purdue representative on the squad.

Under KG, It seems we are at our best offensively when we are in transition. I think having a combo of Amaya/Poole at point is really going to be exactly what the doctor ordered. They compliment each other very well. Poole won’t be a big rebounder but I feel Amaya will be. But Poole can flat out get the ball and go. That’s what we need. Now we just need shooters at the wings. Swanson obviously is going to be relied on heavily for this. The question will be who else steps up. McKenna would be ideal as I think she’s a good shooter but just needs to develop physically. I’ve completely given up on Smith. Such a sad situation seeing someone with talent simply going to waste.

We need to grab an experience shooter from the portal who is ok with coming off the bench and being instant offense. Simple as that. And ideally a post.

Reactions: tomgloe and Gesysp
Under KG, It seems we are at our best offensively when we are in transition. I think having a combo of Amaya/Poole at point is really going to be exactly what the doctor ordered. They compliment each other very well. Poole won’t be a big rebounder but I feel Amaya will be. But Poole can flat out get the ball and go. That’s what we need. Now we just need shooters at the wings. Swanson obviously is going to be relied on heavily for this. The question will be who else steps up. McKenna would be ideal as I think she’s a good shooter but just needs to develop physically. I’ve completely given up on Smith. Such a sad situation seeing someone with talent simply going to waste.

We need to grab an experience shooter from the portal who is ok with coming off the bench and being instant offense. Simple as that. And ideally a post.
With 5 posts on the roster for next year, and two more coming in the following year, I REALLY dislike the idea of getting another portal post unless Alaina and Mila both leave after this season is over. With Kira R. and Gordon coming in two years, I really feel Puryear and McCarthy need as many minutes as we can force feed them next year to see if either are going to be good backups behind the two very talented posts that follow them in. In fact a looming problem in 2 years is we will have 7 players that are starter quality and 5 spots. MA, Jones, Swanson, A Reynolds, Poole, K Reynolds and Gordon. Its a nice problem to have if you can get everyone to buy into the team and not worried about who starts and who is getting the most stats. Another interesting issue is Jones, Poole, and Amiyah are all best with the ball in their hands attacking the rim. That is a problem as there is only one ball in play at any given time. Hopefully Poole and Amiyah have more reliable jump shots than Jones, and that Jones' improves greatly over the summer. But with 2 of those slashers on the floor much of the time together next year, I am not sure having two classic posts in clogging up the middle makes a lot of sense. Perhaps have McKenna at the PF slot but playing out on the perimeter as a catch and shoot threat with Sophie, MA posting up or setting screens for the drivers, and two of the drivers in at the same time. Rather than dump into the post and kick out as the offense is currently structured, make it drive and kick out, or with MA flashing to the rim, drive and dish. I am excited to see the progress Monson and McKenna make in the off-season as they both showed some glimmers of being quality depth players with just a little improvement. I agree Smith, Alaina, and Mila are pretty much just going to be end of the bench and practice players, I have little hopes for any of those three helping out in any significant way going forward.

Reactions: tomgloe
With 5 posts on the roster for next year, and two more coming in the following year, I REALLY dislike the idea of getting another portal post unless Alaina and Mila both leave after this season is over. With Kira R. and Gordon coming in two years, I really feel Puryear and McCarthy need as many minutes as we can force feed them next year to see if either are going to be good backups behind the two very talented posts that follow them in. In fact a looming problem in 2 years is we will have 7 players that are starter quality and 5 spots. MA, Jones, Swanson, A Reynolds, Poole, K Reynolds and Gordon. Its a nice problem to have if you can get everyone to buy into the team and not worried about who starts and who is getting the most stats. Another interesting issue is Jones, Poole, and Amiyah are all best with the ball in their hands attacking the rim. That is a problem as there is only one ball in play at any given time. Hopefully Poole and Amiyah have more reliable jump shots than Jones, and that Jones' improves greatly over the summer. But with 2 of those slashers on the floor much of the time together next year, I am not sure having two classic posts in clogging up the middle makes a lot of sense. Perhaps have McKenna at the PF slot but playing out on the perimeter as a catch and shoot threat with Sophie, MA posting up or setting screens for the drivers, and two of the drivers in at the same time. Rather than dump into the post and kick out as the offense is currently structured, make it drive and kick out, or with MA flashing to the rim, drive and dish. I am excited to see the progress Monson and McKenna make in the off-season as they both showed some glimmers of being quality depth players with just a little improvement. I agree Smith, Alaina, and Mila are pretty much just going to be end of the bench and practice players, I have little hopes for any of those three helping out in any significant way going forward.
I can’t see Smith returning can you? Unless she’s happy sitting on the bench I see no way she’d want to return to West Lafayette, guess she’s gone.

Reactions: MichaelRR
I can’t see Smith returning can you? Unless she’s happy sitting on the bench I see no way she’d want to return to West Lafayette, guess she’s gone.
She's got one year to graduate, a Purdue degree still carries weight, and realistically, she cannot expect to go anywhere and play on anything but a bad team at this point (cough Valpo cough), why leave?

Even if she entered the portal, I cannot imagine her getting an offer from anyone, one year for end of the bench player, or pick up another high school kid that might develop into something in a couple of years.

She's got one year to graduate, a Purdue degree still carries weight, and realistically, she cannot expect to go anywhere and play on anything but a bad team at this point (cough Valpo cough), why leave?

Even if she entered the portal, I cannot imagine her getting an offer from anyone, one year for end of the bench player, or pick up another high school kid that might develop into something in a couple of years.

There are several mid major schools that would love to have Smith. Or would take her just for the potential alone. She’s a year off from averaging 7ppg for a big ten school. You can argue she’s give experience to a young team. You can not teach experience. A schools like IUPUI (Soon to be IU Indy) would take her in an instant.

Reactions: Russ Ford

I was referencing adding a grad transfer or true senior post player with 1 year of eligibility left to be a bridge sort of player for us. The more I watch Mila out on the court - I truly don’t think she’s a post. She doesn’t seem to know how to effectively play the post vs big ten talent. She isn’t physical and plays much more finesse and doesn’t seem to be a natural rebounder. The only times I’ve been impressed with her was when she took players off then bounce and got to the hole or when she hit some spot up three. Her game reminds me much more of a Sam Woods tweener. She may be most effective as a mobile wing.

Harper is what she is. A big body who can come in and defend and grab some rebounds in spot duty, no where is she a starter for us any time the next two years. She can’t jump over a telephone book and doesn’t have near the sneaky athleticism her sister nor the offensive repertoire. We are going no where with her playing major minutes. So that leaves MA and then 2 unproven freshmen as our posts. I feel a an athletic grad transfer is needed.

Spider has the most potential to be a 20 ppg player than anyone returning on the team. Her mid range game is pristine as seen in the preseason before she hit a freshman wall midway through February from having to carry this pathetic bench of ours all season because Smith took the year off. Spider’s athleticism is elite. She has all the offensive tools to be a superb slasher for us. Something this team will need at the guard spot going forward. She needs to develop more physically to withstand a brutal big ten schedule where guards are known to hack the shit out of each other with very few fouls called.

Last edited:
Reactions: tomgloe and Gesysp
There are several mid major schools that would love to have Smith. Or would take her just for the potential alone. She’s a year off from averaging 7ppg for a big ten school. You can argue she’s give experience to a young team. You can not teach experience. A schools like IUPUI (Soon to be IU Indy) would take her in an instant.
I think Parkinson is a better judge of talent than to waste a schollie on Smith. Between 1/2 to 2/3 of all girls that enter the portal do not get offers, I truly believe Smith would fall into that group.

I think Parkinson is a better judge of talent than to waste a schollie on Smith. Between 1/2 to 2/3 of all girls that enter the portal do not get offers, I truly believe Smith would fall into that group.

Parkinson is at butler (but still wanted stoddard from us - where she did essentially nothing for them this year). IUPUI won like 7 games this year. Like their coach is going to say no to someone like smith 🙄

Why the hell would smith stay here and waste her final year of eligibility sitting on the bench when she can go to a mid major and get minutes. I have no clue what happened to smith this year - I’ve never seen anything like it in all my years of watching basketball. Her first two years were up and down but they were solid. She had a solid rookie year and then improved a bit more her sophomore year. To go from that to how she played this year is one of the biggest mysteries this program has ever seen. But she has talent. You don’t lose that over night. She can go to a mid major and contribute. I hope that’s the path she chooses. Big ten Scholarships are a year by year contract now that these are paid professionals. She did absolutely nothing to be rewarded a contract extension.

Last edited:
I was referencing adding a grad transfer or true senior post player with 1 year of eligibility left to be a bridge sort of player for us. The more I watch Mila out on the court - I truly don’t think she’s a post. She doesn’t seem to know how to effectively play the post vs big ten talent. She isn’t physical and plays much more finesse and doesn’t seem to be a natural rebounder. The only times I’ve been impressed with her was when she took players off then bounce and got to the hole or when she hit some spot up three. Her game reminds me much more of a Sam Woods tweener. She may be most effective as a mobile wing.

Harper is what she is. A big body who can come in and defend and grab some rebounds in spot duty, no where is she a starter for us any time the next two years. She can’t jump over a telephone book and doesn’t have near the sneaky athleticism her sister nor the offensive repertoire. We are going no where with her playing major minutes. So that leaves MA and then 2 unproven freshmen as our posts. I feel a an athletic grad transfer is needed.

Spider has the most potential to be a 20 ppg player than anyone returning on the team. Her mid range game is pristine as seen in the preseason before she hit a freshman wall midway through February from having to carry this pathetic bench of ours all season because Smith took the year off. Spider’s athleticism is elite. She has all the offensive tools to be a superb slasher for us. Something this team will need at the guard spot going forward. She needs to develop more physically to withstand a brutal big ten schedule where guards are known to hack the shit out of each other with very few fouls called.
I agree somewhat on Mila, but she would have to lose 30-40 pounds to play any kind of minutes as a SF and to gain some speed off shedding the fat. Rebounding is far more about effort than ability, and I saw nothing from Mila on offense or defense that showed effort except when she got a chance to score. I think playing one post with all the penetrating guards we have next year negates the need to get a 6th post player. Puryear and McCarthy should be able to play D and spot minutes next season. We will need McCarthy's size on D playing against OSU, UMinn and Nebraska among others next season.

Jones only scores reliably driving the ball. She never shot the ball very well as a jump shooter, and at about halfway through the season she was shooting about 8% from 3pt range. That at least improved to just under 30% by season's end. So she can shoot it decently, but its not her main weapon, and it needs to be consistently better for her to lead the team. The difference in shooting between her and Terry is Terry knew she was not a great shooter and did not put up a lot of shots. Jones shot only slightly worse, both below 40% from the field (Jones 37% Terry 39%), but kept putting them up anyway. If Jones doesn't develop a reliable mid range jumper that she can hit at least 45% of the time, she is not going to be a very good player. Being one dimensional makes you VERY easy to guard. I suspect Swanson will be the best and most reliable scorer on next years team, followed by MA.

Last edited:
Parkinson is at butler (but still wanted stoddard from us - where she did essentially nothing for them this year). IUPUI won like 7 games this year. Like their coach is going to say no to someone like smith 🙄
you are right, thank you. Stoddard has potential, and height. I think he was also hoping it would keep her hs team-mate around.

One nice thing about Poole is she can shoot from distance. So although she's only 5'6, amiyah is 6' so you could realistically have the two player together for a few minutes. I haven't seen enough of amiyah's 3 point shot to know how good it is, but she has a really solid mid range jumper. I've said before I don't think Spider will ever be a 40% 3 point shooter and that's OK if she isn't because of everything else her game brings to the court, but hopefully she can be around 34% shooter just so opponents respect her shot enough. I like the idea of having Mckenna at the 4 if she progresses enough(i think she'll turn out to be a good shooter). MA at the 5. This is another reason I want to keep playing this season.. in hopes that Mckenna can get back out there and gain some more experience. You know I still think we add from the portal though so we'll see how it all shakes out.

I agree somewhat on Mila, but she would have to lose 30-40 pounds to play any kind of minutes as a SF and to gain some speed off shedding the fat. Rebounding is far more about effort than ability, and I saw nothing from Mila on offense or defense that showed effort except when she got a chance to score. I think playing one post with all the penetrating guards we have next year negates the need to get a 6th post player. Puryear and McCarthy should be able to play D and spot minutes next season. We will need McCarthy's size on D playing against OSU, UMinn and Nebraska among others next season.

Jones only scores reliably driving the ball. She never shot the ball very well as a jump shooter, and at about halfway through the season she was shooting about 8% from 3pt range. That at least improved to just under 30% by season's end. So she can shoot it decently, but its not her main weapon, and it needs to be consistently better for her to lead the team. The difference in shooting between her and Terry is Terry knew she was not a great shooter and did not put up a lot of shots. Jones shot only slightly better, both below 40% from the field (Jones 37% Terry 39%), but kept putting them up anyway. If Jones doesn't develop a reliable mid range jumper that she can hit at least 45% of the time, she is not going to be a very good player. Being one dimensional makes you VERY easy to guard. I suspect Swanson will be the best and most reliable scorer on next years team, followed by MA.
Gearlds best year was playing smaller(harper/woltmann at the 5 and than layden at the 4). I think it could work again if mckenna takes a nice jump to play that stretch 4.. problem is who would be her backup? Mila?

Little side note - Tim Newton and CKG mentioned C.Harper only being like 5'11 maybe 6' but it's never something I really paid attention to. Was she really like 3" off from her roster height?

Gearlds best year was playing smaller(harper/woltmann at the 5 and than layden at the 4). I think it could work again if mckenna takes a nice jump to play that stretch 4.. problem is who would be her backup? Mila?

Little side note - Tim Newton and CKG mentioned C.Harper only being like 5'11 maybe 6' but it's never something I really paid attention to. Was she really like 3" off from her roster height?
Purdue has for years added an inch to players height when they come onto campus, all the way back to Dunn.

Do you know if Bruce helps scout for Austin?

Correct, former Miss Basketball, she can drop down and prosper, how about an Indiana State/Ball State type of program? Guessing she won’t return, she pretty much got burried on the bench.

I believe she will be back next season, at least as of right now. That could change though.
Thanks, that would surprise me but I trust you a heckuve lot more than myself on this lol. Usually teams lose a player or two (sometimes more) to transfer, would you expect this for the ladies?

Correct, former Miss Basketball, she can drop down and prosper, how about an Indiana State/Ball State type of program? Guessing she won’t return, she pretty much got burried on the bench.
I am hoping she is getting better advice on this than just thinking only about one year of basketball. If she transfers, she may lose some credits and not graduate on time. Even if she does manage to graduate on time, the difference between a Ball St diploma and a Purdue diploma is significant both in ability to get hired, and earning potential through her whole life. Realistically her basketball career is over. She can get to play a little more on a really bad team but will suffer for that decision the rest of her life versus just accept basketball is no longer that important, get your Purdue degree and turn the page for a new chapter in her life.

Thanks, that would surprise me but I trust you a heckuve lot more than myself on this lol. Usually teams lose a player or two (sometimes more) to transfer, would you expect this for the ladies?
Versyp lost a couple players a year, so does Frese, but that is not true of most teams losing players every year like that. Purdue needs to get away from that being our normal, because its a significant factor in where we are as a program right now. I think Monson and McKenna have shown enough potential that they can be good bench depth in a year or two. Maybe they want to start, then they transfer, but it would weaken our program for them to do so.

McKenna shares minutes with Mary Ashley, who also shares minutes at C with Puryear/McCarthy. We can throw a lot of different looks at teams next year if our coaches are innovative about building an offense that is flexible to modify it in game on the fly for who is on the floor.

I am hoping she is getting better advice on this than just thinking only about one year of basketball. If she transfers, she may lose some credits and not graduate on time. Even if she does manage to graduate on time, the difference between a Ball St diploma and a Purdue diploma is significant both in ability to get hired, and earning potential through her whole life. Realistically her basketball career is over. She can get to play a little more on a really bad team but will suffer for that decision the rest of her life versus just accept basketball is no longer that important, get your Purdue degree and turn the page for a new chapter in her life.
It depends on what she wants to do, I don’t know her major, if it’s elementary education Ball State is great, same with radio/tv communication. I graduated from Purdue and retired from the building trades, in life one makes out of it what they want, if she wants to play hoops several minutes a night the opportunity is out there, either way she’ll be fine. I’ll trust Dub on this one, still think 2 players leave, like I said, we’ll see.

Hearing Butler has several players leaving. He might be likely to offer a former Miss Basketball.

It depends on what she wants to do, I don’t know her major, if it’s elementary education Ball State is great, same with radio/tv communication. I graduated from Purdue and retired from the building trades, in life one makes out of it what they want, if she wants to play hoops several minutes a night the opportunity is out there, either way she’ll be fine. I’ll trust Dub on this one, still think 2 players leave, like I said, we’ll see.
  • WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. — Purdue University’s undergraduate teacher prep program in elementary education has been ranked among the nation’s best. The National Council on Teacher Quality (NCTQ) ranked Purdue’s program in the 99 th percentile. Only 11 other universities were ranked as high as Purdue.
My middle daughter got her degree in Elementary Education.
I believe Purdue ranks above BSU.

• WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. — Purdue University’s undergraduate teacher prep program in elementary education has been ranked among the nation’s best. The National Council on Teacher Quality (NCTQ) ranked Purdue’s program in the 99 th percentile. Only 11 other universities were ranked as high as Purdue.
My middle daughter got her degree in Elementary Education.
I believe Purdue ranks above BSU.
Thanks, in the day Ball State was a teachers college, I was using that as sort as an example though, I’m sure if this is her major (no clue) classes would transfer, probably most of her classes would. Like I said, all about what she wants, at this stage not sure she contributes much on the court next year.

3 years of poor results trump miss basketball imo
Valid point. It’s interesting though what programs will do to generate PR. I might be in the minority here, but have to admit, I’m glad the whole “3 sets of sisters” campaign is done. A poor marketing plug that likely did nothing but hurt our ability to recruit.

Valid point. It’s interesting though what programs will do to generate PR. I might be in the minority here, but have to admit, I’m glad the whole “3 sets of sisters” campaign is done. A poor marketing plug that likely did nothing but hurt our ability to recruit.
I don't think it hurt recruiting any, and apparently Alaina was the hedge to get Caitlyn to play her 5th year, she was not intending to come back until she was going to get the chance to be on the same team with little sis for a year. McKenna shows some promise, and Mila was merely the thin edge of the wedge to get the other two Reynolds sisters, who are both well regarded and should be very good players for Purdue for years to come.

I am with you though that I found the emphasis on the sisters angle rather cheesey. ;)

Reactions: HoopDad317
Thanks, in the day Ball State was a teachers college, I was using that as sort as an example though, I’m sure if this is her major (no clue) classes would transfer, probably most of her classes would. Like I said, all about what she wants, at this stage not sure she contributes much on the court next year.
I don't think Smith plays except blow outs, but again one year of playing on a really bad team, or sit the bench and graduate with a top flight diploma. Weren't you the one touting how important and highly regarded Purdue's academic reputation was and how it would always attract portal players? I like your thoughts, but often it seems you only see things from one point of view and refuse to consider any others, like the 7 blind men and the elephant story. No, Smith likely won't play much, but she can still be a valuable team player for practice and helping the young players with the pressures of transitioning to college ball.

There is a lot I could go into with questions and examples of hiring teachers in general as well as ranking and such, but what I assume would still be a problem is Ball State I believe is not on semesters and Purdue is and that could cause credit issues as well. Just a FYI that used to exist and may still?

There is a lot I could go into with questions and examples of hiring teachers in general as well as ranking and such, but what I assume would still be a problem is Ball State I believe is not on semesters and Purdue is and that could cause credit issues as well. Just a FYI that used to exist and may still?
Thanks, the Ball State example was more of where I could see Smith going if she wanted to play more her last year, maybe she doesn’t and is happy sitting on the bench earning her degree, Leal from IU on the men’s side sure has no problem with it. If she wants to return that’s fine, I don’t know the girl, maybe she’s fine with PT and is more worried about her degree.

Reactions: tjreese
I don't think Smith plays except blow outs, but again one year of playing on a really bad team, or sit the bench and graduate with a top flight diploma. Weren't you the one touting how important and highly regarded Purdue's academic reputation was and how it would always attract portal players? I like your thoughts, but often it seems you only see things from one point of view and refuse to consider any others, like the 7 blind men and the elephant story. No, Smith likely won't play much, but she can still be a valuable team player for practice and helping the young players with the pressures of transitioning to college ball.
A Purdue degree is important, if that’s what she wants and doesn’t care about playing much she’ll stick around, Purdue surely isn’t in a scholarship crunch like the men’s team is. Like I’ve said, all about what she wants in her last year of eligibility, I figured she was likely to leave, Dub said that might not be the case, fine with me. I still think Purdue will lose a player or two, just a guess, I surely don’t have any connections or really care either way, also, I think they’ll add 2 portal players, these are just predictions, we’ll see if I’m correct or not. Also, I’m always open to ideas and thoughts, I disagreed with your Terry thoughts because I noticed you had no problem getting on the other girls but found her to be a player Purdue will struggle with without, I didn’t or should say don’t see it your way, wasn’t a fan at all of her at the Point, as a player she was a good role player, no way on a good team is she a player I want to see playing 35 minutes a night with the offense running thru her.

A Purdue degree is important, if that’s what she wants and doesn’t care about playing much she’ll stick around, Purdue surely isn’t in a scholarship crunch like the men’s team is. Like I’ve said, all about what she wants in her last year of eligibility, I figured she was likely to leave, Dub said that might not be the case, fine with me. I still think Purdue will lose a player or two, just a guess, I surely don’t have any connections or really care either way, also, I think they’ll add 2 portal players, these are just predictions, we’ll see if I’m correct or not. Also, I’m always open to ideas and thoughts, I disagreed with your Terry thoughts because I noticed you had no problem getting on the other girls but found her to be a player Purdue will struggle with without, I didn’t or should say don’t see it your way, wasn’t a fan at all of her at the Point, as a player she was a good role player, no way on a good team is she a player I want to see playing 35 minutes a night with the offense running thru her.
The problem wasn't I thought Terry was great, she wasn't. She's just the best all around player on the team. I stated outright we did not have a single player that could earn minutes on UCLA or ND's team. You kept calling for her to be benched but failed to ever give up anyone that could replace her leadership and productivity. There simply is not anyone on the roster that is as good of a player as ahe is at point. Ideally she is a slashing wing, like Jones. Neither of them have a decent jump shot, but we can hope Rashyunda works on that extensively this off season. Let's hope that the team can by committee next year replace everything Terry brought to the game. She is 2 rebounds shy of being the first women's player ever in the BT to have 1000 point, 1000 assists, and 1000 rebounds for a career. She will set the Purdue assist to turnover ratio record out in the stratosphere compared to the previous career best, 1.98 to 1.46. She's top 35 in the nation in assists per game and the only Purdue women's player inthe top 25 in the conference in multiple categories, and she's top 3 assists, 24th rebounding and in the teens in steals per game. 5th or so in assist to turnover ratio. She is an amazing talent in many ways, but limited scoring potential. And it seems all you've ever seen is points per game.

Last edited:

Looking at pictures of the team, I would agree Caitlyn is only about 6'. She was easily an inch shorter than Learn who is listed as 6'1" both here and at Murray State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT