ADVERTISEMENT

Ponderings

Oct 13, 2009
No one knows how the 16 team super league will shake out. Heck, we don'teven know if the Big 10 has finished adding schools. With the speculation of divisions and scheduling, I just wanted to throw out a possibility (which may have already been discussed, apologies if so).

16 teams has the feel of an NFL schedule, with divisions based on geography and history. For example:

Division 1: Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Indiana
Division 2: Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska
Division 3: Penn State, Maryland, Rutgers, Ohio State
Division 4: USC, UCLA, Northwestern, Illinois

These divisions keep the rivalries in tact and geographically close. Each school plays every team in its division (3 games), all four teams in another divisions (4 games), and 3 non conference games (3 games) for a total of 10 games. The remaining games could be against two teams from other divisions that finished in the same place in the standings the year before for a total of 12 games (with 9 being in the league).

The Big Ten could add one week to the schedule and have a final four tournament with the champion of each division seeded, just like the CFP.

Who knows? I could be completely off and be blowing smoke out of my you know what....which is probably the case. I guess we will see.

Reactions: rapapathanasiou
No one knows how the 16 team super league will shake out. Heck, we don'teven know if the Big 10 has finished adding schools. With the speculation of divisions and scheduling, I just wanted to throw out a possibility (which may have already been discussed, apologies if so).

16 teams has the feel of an NFL schedule, with divisions based on geography and history. For example:

These divisions keep the rivalries in tact and geographically close. Each school plays every team in its division (3 games), all four teams in another divisions (4 games), and 3 non conference games (3 games) for a total of 10 games. The remaining games could be against two teams from other divisions that finished in the same place in the standings the year before for a total of 12 games (with 9 being in the league).

The Big Ten could add one week to the schedule and have a final four tournament with the champion of each division seeded, just like the CFP.

Who knows? I could be completely off and be blowing smoke out of my you know what....which is probably the case. I guess we will see.
Interesting perspective. I think inevitably they will go to at least 10 conference games. I also wouldn’t be shocked if they went to a 13th regular season game so schools can be assured of 7 home games (10 conference, 2 home and home, and 1 home warmup). I also don’t think it will stop here. Either the acc/b12/pac top teams dissolve and join a 3rd super league or the top 8 remaining teams shift to the B10 or SEC leaving the rest in irrelevancy for football. I just don’t think there is anything the conferences can do now to keep up with the two super leagues without cannabilizing each other

Yeah I'm thinking were moving towards at least 1 more game added to the regular season. I could do without a conference championship especially if it expands the college football playoffs to 16 or 24 teams.

Last edited:

They’re gonna go ACC if we are done.. Illinois Indiana and NU our protected rivals every year. Half of the schools one year half the other rotating home and away

In that hypothetical scenario, zero chance osu would ever be stuck in a pod with Rutgers and Maryland.

ADVERTISEMENT