ADVERTISEMENT

Point Guard Play - Possible NCAA Record

Apr 30, 2015
Corpus Christi, Texas
At the start of the year, the main concern about our team was point guard play. 25 games into the season, that concern has been laid to rest. Johnny Hill has shown himself to be a steady, hard-as-nails graduate transfer in the best tradition of John Octeus, and PJ Thompson has literally played out of his mind!

If you don"t believe me about PJ, consider the following:

1. Through 25 games, PJ has 71 assists and only 11 turnovers, an assist to turnover ratio of 6.45 to 1. The all time Purdue assist to turnover record is 3.12 to 1 set by Mark Gadis in 1986.

2. In the last 10 Big Ten conference games, PJ has only one turnover!! That's right - just one!

3. Through 12 Big Ten games, PJ has 34 assists and only 4 turnovers. The Big Ten leader in conference games (minimum 3 assists per game) is JaylonTate of Illinois with a ratio of 3.6 to 1. PJ is just 2 assists shy of meeting the minimum, and his assist to turnover ratio for conference games is an astounding 8.5 to 1!

4. The NCAA assist to turnover record for a season is 4.93 to 1 set by Iowa State's Monte Morris last year. PJ is just 4 assists shy of the minimum number needed to qualify (3 assists per game) to be ranked, and at his current pace of 6.45 assists to turnover. He would shatter the NCAA record.

Here's hoping that PJ continues to value the rock and increases his number of assists slightly so that he can quality for Big Ten and NCAA rankings and receive some of the recognition he so richly deserves.

Needless to say, with Carson Edwards coming in next year, I feel we are solid at point guard for years to come.

Great post. Really shows the turnaround PJ has done.

You are also right in that the addition of Edwards makes us set for a while at PG imo. Weatherford I think is the odd man out for a couple years then will be Edwards backup. Not a bad plan by CMP.

PJ is a boiler. gotta love him for that.

he doesn't turn it over because he doesn't take any chances with his passes. walks it up the court and makes very safe passes.

don't get me wrong, i love that he doesn't turn it over, he is not a risk taker at all

Kudos to PJ for playing within himself, but when you go long stretches on offense because you don't have a PG that can create shots for anyone, then you still have questions at the position.

Reactions: spradecki
At the start of the year, the main concern about our team was point guard play. 25 games into the season, that concern has been laid to rest. Johnny Hill has shown himself to be a steady, hard-as-nails graduate transfer in the best tradition of John Octeus, and PJ Thompson has literally played out of his mind!

If you don"t believe me about PJ, consider the following:

1. Through 25 games, PJ has 71 assists and only 11 turnovers, an assist to turnover ratio of 6.45 to 1. The all time Purdue assist to turnover record is 3.12 to 1 set by Mark Gadis in 1986.

2. In the last 10 Big Ten conference games, PJ has only one turnover!! That's right - just one!

3. Through 12 Big Ten games, PJ has 34 assists and only 4 turnovers. The Big Ten leader in conference games (minimum 3 assists per game) is JaylonTate of Illinois with a ratio of 3.6 to 1. PJ is just 2 assists shy of meeting the minimum, and his assist to turnover ratio for conference games is an astounding 8.5 to 1!

4. The NCAA assist to turnover record for a season is 4.93 to 1 set by Iowa State's Monte Morris last year. PJ is just 4 assists shy of the minimum number needed to qualify (3 assists per game) to be ranked, and at his current pace of 6.45 assists to turnover. He would shatter the NCAA record.

Here's hoping that PJ continues to value the rock and increases his number of assists slightly so that he can quality for Big Ten and NCAA rankings and receive some of the recognition he so richly deserves.

Needless to say, with Carson Edwards coming in next year, I feel we are solid at point guard for years to come.
Pssst! You're not allowed to praise PJ here. Too controversial.

Got to believe the international experience this summer helped him get to where he is today.

Both PJ and Hill have been solid on both ends of the court. Come tournament time however when its win or go home, Purdue is going to need both guys to attack the rim more...along with Davis and Edwards attacking the rim. If we aren't knocking down 3's, we will need to score points from the free throw line, and you can't do that very often without guys driving the ball.

I think the first half of the MSU game was about as Dynamic our offense has looked since BIG10 play started. Hill and Edwards attacked the rim and even PJ got to the rim once.

Everyone knows what we are going to get from PJ/Hill/Swanigan/Haas and Biggie each game. Our tournament success will come down to Davis and Edwards being aggressive along with the entire squad making some 3's.

I've noticed lately he has turned down open threes. Seems to be really focused on pg duties. In time he will need to take those opportunities with confidence. He had a good stretch on makes, hope he finds it again around tourney time.

he doesn't turn it over because he doesn't take any chances with his passes. walks it up the court and makes very safe passes.

don't get me wrong, i love that he doesn't turn it over, he is not a risk taker at all
I think he's doing exactly what a motion point guard needs to do. I think that if the players are patient with Painter's offense, they don't need to take a lot of risks, especially early in the shot clock.

Hill turns it over too much for my liking, but I love Thompson who plays and competes more than most of those bigger than him.

Considering how we usually shoot from the perimeter it's almost as if SG is our main weakness when it's PG that comes up again and again and again here. Go PJ!

With the way Purdue has turned the ball over this year I'd say that's a good thing, wouldn't you? Someone needs to be concerned about not turning the ball over...And he's been great with his interior passes to the post...soooooo.

Reactions: ahhculdee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT