ADVERTISEMENT

Playing with house money in B10 championship?

bonefish1

All-American
Oct 4, 2004
Until about 6:30p on Friday, most everyone thought the Bucket game was just going to be for the Bucket and bowl positioning. Now, the Boilers unexpectedly find themselves playing in the championship game.
It’s not a “just happy to be there” situation, but there should be zero pressure on Purdue for this game. Will be interesting to see what kind of game plan Brohm comes up with and what kind of wrinkles he throws at UM.

Until about 6:30p on Friday, most everyone thought the Bucket game was just going to be for the Bucket and bowl positioning. Now, the Boilers unexpectedly find themselves playing in the championship game.
It’s not a “just happy to be there” situation, but there should be zero pressure on Purdue for this game. Will be interesting to see what kind of game plan Brohm comes up with and what kind of wrinkles he throws at UM.
Need to jump them early. I really want to make them throw as much as possible. Their online is the best I've seen all year.

Need to jump them early. I really want to make them throw as much as possible. Their online is the best I've seen all year.
Gonna need a bend don't break defensive philosophy. Keep the ball in front of you, tackle well, don't let anything over the top. Tighten up in the redzone and hope for field goals. You're not going to shut down the UM O, but don't give up a bunch of huge plays like OSU did.
Catch a few breaks, stay within striking distance for the 4th Q and you never know....

that stupid Wolegib predicted 8-4 predicting losses to Iowa, Penn St, and UW. he also said no game would be easy. they could win them all, or just as easily lose them all. but pay no attention to the wizard behind the curtains.

• Haha
Reactions: drewjin
got to have sustained drives, make 3rd down conversions, win the TO battle, and spread the ball around to different WR's. In reality though, I think it'll be like facing Wisky

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
that stupid Wolegib predicted 8-4 predicting losses to Iowa, Penn St, and UW. he also said no game would be easy. they could win them all, or just as easily lose them all. but pay no attention to the wizard behind the curtains.
So you admit you were wrong? The Indiana State game was quite easy which contradicts your second statement. Brave of you to step forward and admit it!

While I can understand why you think he is stupid, it is very rude to come out and say it.

Instead, it is simply a given on this forum that polite people don't discuss. By doing so, you bring yourself down to his level.

Reactions: mathboy
I'm pretty sure they tried to run that with Tracey against IU and he ran into his own blocker. Brohm was pissed.
I've been waiting to see that play we ran right before half vs Arizona, where it looked like a punt and a rb came across and picked up a live ball and ran it around the end.

NW had a sweep option pass they tried against us near the end zone. They blew it but I thought it was a good trick play if executed correctly.

I am somewhat surprised we haven't seen a hook and lateral.

Reactions: Mobes

I hear you in that you won the B1G West for the first time and no one expects Purdue to win.

At same time, you could argue this is the last realistic chance for Purdue to win the B1G for a long time. If the divisions go away, how realistic is it for many B1G West team to reach the B1G title game with OSU, UM, USC, PSU and others?

You may as well go for broke.

I hear you in that you won the B1G West for the first time and no one expects Purdue to win.

At same time, you could argue this is the last realistic chance for Purdue to win the B1G for a long time. If the divisions go away, how realistic is it for many B1G West team to reach the B1G title game with OSU, UM, USC, PSU and others?

this is the way I see it too

Is there any concern of this being a 'trap' game from the Michigan side?

That seems like a preposterous question on the surface. But take away the fact it is for the Big Ten championship, and it is an unranked opponent sandwiched between a huge win over your arch nemesis and the CFP. I'm sure the players are all saying the right things, but is there any chance of a hangover and we see the team that showed up against Maryland or Illinois?

That seems like a preposterous question on the surface. But take away the fact it is for the Big Ten championship, and it is an unranked opponent sandwiched between a huge win over your arch nemesis and the CFP. I'm sure the players are all saying the right things, but is there any chance of a hangover and we see the team that showed up against Maryland or Illinois?

Of course. Brohm is very creative and I think he can scheme up 20-24 points if Purdue executes.

If UM plays too conservative or sits too many guys, it absolutely could be competitive the whole game.

If you’ve watched UM, while they’ve really been in control in every game in the fourth except for Illinois (Maryland was 34-19 late fourth), the games are often close at half.

Maryland. Up 3 at balf
IU. Tied at half
PSU. Up 1 at half
MSU. Up 6 at half
Rutgers. Down 3 at half
OSU. Down 3 at half

I’d be surprised if it’s not very close at half.

Can Purdue hold up after that is the question?

One factor guarding against letdown is we were in this same situation a year ago against Iowa and there was no letdown there

Of course. Brohm is very creative and I think he can scheme up 20-24 points if Purdue executes.

If UM plays too conservative or sits too many guys, it absolutely could be competitive the whole game.

If you’ve watched UM, while they’ve really been in control in every game in the fourth except for Illinois (Maryland was 34-19 late fourth), the games are often close at half.

Maryland. Up 3 at balf
IU. Tied at half
PSU. Up 1 at half
MSU. Up 6 at half
Rutgers. Down 3 at half
OSU. Down 3 at half

I’d be surprised if it’s not very close at half.

Can Purdue hold up after that is the question?

One factor guarding against letdown is we were in this same situation a year ago against Iowa and there was no letdown there
You might be surprised how well the Purdue D line can hold up for 4 quarters. There’s no All American, but they’ll rotate the entire 2 deep and there isn’t much drop off. I’m more terrified about Michigan busting some big plays in the pass game like they did against an Ohio. Purdue puts their corners in zero man a lot and is susceptible on the back end, especially in a dome. Your athletes will also find some room to work the edges as long as they are going away from #6.

You might be surprised how well the Purdue D line can hold up for 4 quarters. There’s no All American, but they’ll rotate the entire 2 deep and there isn’t much drop off. I’m more terrified about Michigan busting some big plays in the pass game like they did against an Ohio. Purdue puts their corners in zero man a lot and is susceptible on the back end, especially in a dome. Your athletes will also find some room to work the edges as long as they are going away from #6.
On D, Purdue just has to be happy giving up yards between the 20s, tackle well, don't get beat over the top and hope you can keep them to more FGs than TDs. If UM can get behind the OSU D for big plays, I'm sure they're looking to do the same against Purdue. A bunch of TOs by UM would help.

Is
NW had a sweep option pass they tried against us near the end zone. They blew it but I thought it was a good trick play if executed correctly.

I am somewhat surprised we haven't seen a hook and lateral.
Is it "hook and lateral" or "hook and ladder"?

Talked to a Michigan buddy of mine, his concern was they laid it all out on the field against OSU. He's nervous that it might be tough to match that kind of intensity.

Talked to a Michigan buddy of mine, his concern was they laid it all out on the field against OSU. He's nervous that it might be tough to match that kind of intensity.
There’s no way they match that but then again they’re 12-0 and let’s not pretend they’ve had that OSU intensity in all other B1G games

Lets hope your buddy is right.
Its going to be a close game, at least for a while. Despite what happened last week, its still true that Michigan's best player, one of the 5 best players in the country, isn't playing. I'd be surprised if it was a hammering from the start or even as bad as it was last year against Iowa

Hi. I am a UM fan. I am excited about the game because my parents are Purdue alum's and I was born in West Lafayette . That said I can tell you what UM will want to do. When I watched games all of my fellow friends would freak about because some games were close at halftime. Declarations of "this is a four loss team" or "We might lose to Rutgers" spilled out of their phones. I was calm and collected and pointed out the snap count.

What does UM want to do? UM is content to play ultra conservative and give up opportunity if it reduces the odds of mistakes. A 15 play drive that ends in a FG is fine. 1st half snap counts approach 50 for the 1st half. Once a defense even with some rotation passes 50 snaps, it wears out. That is just physics. The MSU game is a perfect case study. If you look at the sequencing mid season, a typical game is 9-10 possessions with 2-3 TD's, a bunch of FG's, and 1-2 punts. The air is just let out of the game. When you have a sound defense, 30ish points usually wins the day. A couple 3 and outs means an opposing offense might not see the field for a quarter.

I will find the defensive strategy interesting. There are different ways to attack. MSU feared their leaky secondary and chose bend but do not break. Illinois had the three tough DT's and said bring it. IU and Rutgers chose the OSU way and conceded big runs if they could get a big play. UM makes it hard because they are mistake adverse. I think for Purdue to really stay in he game, they will need some breaks. I believe Purdue has more to play for. That is the fun thing with college football. Momentum matters. But without the breaks there is no catalyst.

Pull out every gadget in the playbook. Wouldn't mind seeing that play from last year's MSU game again.D
Didn't we try it against iu? I think Tracy messed it up.
I forget what game I was watching over Thanksgiving, but some other team ran basically that exact same play Brohm threw at MSU. I think the team scored.

Didn't we try it against iu? I think Tracy messed it up.
I forget what game I was watching over Thanksgiving, but some other team ran basically that exact same play Brohm threw at MSU. I think the team scored.
Correct. Tracey ran right up the blockers ass.

ADVERTISEMENT