ADVERTISEMENT

Playing through the post

Purdue Boilermakers Sport GIF by NCAA March Madness

Hopefully the threes fall next 2 games. Edey gave them so many wide open looks that didn’t fall.

Each games has been a different guy which has been great to see. Painter moved his rotation to the right guys and cut out the guys that can’t score.
I hate to say it and I know others will feel differently, but IMO it's all house money now. Made it to the FF shooting 20% from three against a really good UT team, might as well go win it all.

Hopefully the threes fall next 2 games. Edey gave them so many wide open looks that didn’t fall.

Each games has been a different guy which has been great to see. Painter moved his rotation to the right guys and cut out the guys that can’t score.
Moved his rotation when guys were ready.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I hate to say it and I know others will feel differently, but IMO it's all house money now. Made it to the FF shooting 20% from three against a really good UT team, might as well go win it all.

Keep hunting......two two-game tournaments down......one more to go. Boilers will definitely have to shoot it better in Phoenix, but they also have to have some confidence and satisfaction to gut that game out down the stretch. Did well enough on the turnover front and owned the glass. Also, really made Knecht work for it in the second half - he finished 14/31 (6/12 from beyond the arc).

Lance Jones' triple
ZE's block on Knecht
Fletch Loyer's two FT's.......

all clutch plays that a team needs when the moment comes.

How will they fare Saturday? Don't know.....maybe they'll be really loose now.....certainly won't be easy, and the lead-up will be something very different.

Happy for them.....they've worked extremely hard and had the belief and trust. Happy for Painter.....he definitely deserved this.......work not over yet, and he knows that.

We shall see.

Like I said elsewhere some idiot fan early pre tourney said this team would shoot 20% from 3 and go home. Well they were half right......so glad our team this year are fighters, as that person was half wrong.....these Boilers are winners!!

Last edited:
Well it was pretty brutal for a stretch there when everyone was just standing around watching Zach. But here we are still alive.

How's everyone feeling about that now?
What is most fascinating is 3 of the 4 Final Four participants won their Elite Eight games by playing through the post. Yes, it's a guards game but having a very good post player is such an advantage. Tennessee had nowhere to go outside of Knecht. Their post players wanted nothing to do with Zach.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
If Superman wasn't Superman having the game of his life, we would have lost this. So play through the post worked well for our 2nd & 3rd FFs. And then is also what beat us in FF #1 where the winner had the best post. Great, these kids are winners. What a fun game!

But the next two games I am hoping for 4 things.....
1. A balanced approach where both outside & Inside are humming.
2. 80+% FT shooting.
3. TOs under 12.
4. And especially REFS that do their jobs calling fouls. The rules are written, follow them, it's not that hard!

Reactions: Old Gold n Black
If Superman wasn't Superman having the game of his life, we would have lost this. So play through the post worked well for our 2nd & 3rd FFs. And then is also what beat us in FF #1 where the winner had the best post. Great, these kids are winners. What a fun game!

But the next two games I am hoping for 4 things.....
1. A balanced approach where both outside & Inside are humming.
2. 80+% FT shooting.
3. TOs under 12.
4. And especially REFS that do their jobs calling fouls. The rules are written, follow them, it's not that hard!
or if Tennessee's superman was not the recipient of some scrambles where Purdue left him thinking they would get the ball and he doesn't get the 6 or 9 points as a result or Purdue doesn't care about the clock and more worried about the score and defend another 2 or 4 points on his drives....Or Ike doesn't make a two 3's instead of zero like usual and that game is double digit win for Purdue in spite of the misses on the perimeter. Purdue was gassed and they played their hearts out. All those fresh bodies pushing just above his weight wore on Zach. When was the last time we saw so many jump balls? That shows a slower whistle and a lot of hustle by both teams. If they call the fouls before Zach receives the pass that will help in Zach scoring easier and getting doubled as a result and then your number 1 is more likely, but the opposition hopes on letting that go and then they stay focused on the perimeter shooters. 2&3 are possible, but I'm not holding my breath on 4

or if Tennessee's superman was not the recipient of some scrambles where Purdue left him thinking they would get the ball and he doesn't get the 6 or 9 points as a result or Purdue doesn't care about the clock and more worried about the score and defend another 2 or 4 points on his drives....Or Ike doesn't make a two 3's instead of zero like usual and that game is double digit win for Purdue in spite of the misses on the perimeter. Purdue was gassed and they played their hearts out. All those fresh bodies pushing just above his weight wore on Zach. When was the last time we saw so many jump balls? That shows a slower whistle and a lot of hustle by both teams. If they call the fouls before Zach receives the pass that will help in Zach scoring easier and getting doubled as a result and then your number 1 is more likely, but the opposition hopes on letting that go and then they stay focused on the perimeter shooters. 2&3 are possible, but I'm not holding my breath on 4

As far as #4, after NIL, that luckily hasn't hurt Purdue yet.....there is the referee pool that seems to have not only crazy variation, but at times gross incompetence. Both items leave me wondering at times how much more college basketball I can take??

But as long as CMP is there, I think I am good as he is a class act that helps temper the above.

• Haha
Reactions: tjreese
As far as #4, after NIL, that luckily hasn't hurt Purdue yet.....there is the referee pool that seems to have not only crazy variation, but at times gross incompetence. Both items leave me wondering at times how much more college basketball I can take??

But as long as CMP is there, I think I am good as he is a class act that helps temper the above.
just go into every game expecting to see some bad calls and then hope you balance that with calls that seemed to go to Purdue

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT