ADVERTISEMENT

Pizza (and other food destinations worth trying) off-season thread

And for those on the premium board .. come tell me your favorite pizza/food destinations instead of crying. Maybe you’ll give me a new place to try

Vintage pizza if you’re ever in atlanta
@nat100 My bourbon buddy actually manages the one down the street from me just inside the Atlanta perimeter. It’s meh IMO. You talk about not being a Pizza town…Atlanta is awful.

Antico gets lots of props nationally and is good…but if you don’t like the neopolitan old world, flatbread, heritage style type pizza it’s going to be a miss for you. That said, their Ingredients are top notch and it IS worth a stop IMO.

Outside of that…there isn’t anything local worth even the thought of a recommendation.

Last edited:
Reactions: nat100
@nat100 My bourbon buddy actually manages the one down the street from me just inside the Atlanta perimeter. It’s meh IMO. You talk about not being a Pizza town…Atlanta is awful.

Antico gets lots of props nationally and is good…but if you don’t like the neopolitan old world, flatbread, heritage style type pizza it’s going to be a miss for you. That said, their Ingredients are top notch and it IS worth a stop IMO.

Outside of that…there isn’t anything local worth even the thought of a recommendation.
I was back and forth for 2 years. Never thought it was much of a food town as a whole. Mckendricks at perimeter was a decent steakhouse

I was back and forth for 2 years. Never thought it was much of a food town as a whole. Mckendricks at perimeter was a decent steakhouse
What timeframe? Ive been in the perimeter mall area for about 7 years and still haven’t been to McKendrivks. I usually go to Capital Grille across the street.

My TOP Atlanta steakhouse recs are either Hal’s or Chops (Lobster Bar) in Buckhead but boy has that neighborhood gone sharply downhill over the past 3 years.

I’d say Atlanta has become a MUCH better food town over the past 10 or so years. My Aunt was front of house for a Kevin Rathbun restaraunt when he was up and coming so I get the VIP treatment anytime we go and he is there. Always recommend his place. Tons of solid up and coming places but would generally agree that a decade ago the city wasn’t much for food.

What timeframe? Ive been in the perimeter mall area for about 7 years and still haven’t been to McKendrivks. I usually go to Capital Grille across the street.

My TOP Atlanta steakhouse recs are either Hal’s or Chops (Lobster Bar) in Buckhead but boy has that neighborhood gone sharply downhill over the past 3 years.

I’d say Atlanta has become a MUCH better food town over the past 10 or so years. My Aunt was front of house for a Kevin Rathbun restaraunt when he was up and coming so I get the VIP treatment anytime we go and he is there. Always recommend his place. Tons of solid up and coming places but would generally agree that a decade ago the city wasn’t much for food.
2012-2014. Buckhead was phenomenal back then. Cousin tells me there is a lot of crime now

Upon my trip to New Jersey next month here are the rankings of the places I’ve tried around the nation so far:

John’s of Bleecker - (Manhattan) New York, NY
Prince Street - (Manhattan) New York, NY
Pizzeria Beddia - Philadelphia, PA
Wells Brothers - Racine, WI
Freddy’s - Cicero, IL
Alfie’s - (Queens) New York, NY
Spacca Napoli - (Ravenswood) Chicago, IL
Zaffiro’s - Milwaukee, WI
Giaocchino’s - Bellwood, IL
Panino’s - (Wrigleyville) Chicago, IL
Gigio’s - (Uptown) Chicago, IL
Bartolini’s - Midlothian, IL
Bije’s - (Belmont Park) Chicago, IL
Dino’s - (Oriole Park) Chicago, IL
Village Pizza and Pub - Carpentersville, IL
Salvatore’s Tomato Pies - Madison, WI
Cafe Luigi - (Lincoln Park) Chicago, IL
Villaggio - Salt Lake City, UT
Piece - (Logan Square) Chicago, IL
Paulie Gee’s - (Logan Square) Chicago, IL
Renaldi’s - (Lakeview) Chicago, IL
Michael’s - (Buena Park) Chicago, IL
Villa Napoli - Norridge, IL
Ballistreri’s - Milwaukee, WI
Milly’s Pizza in a Pan - Chicago, IL
The Stop Along - Chicago, IL
Villa Nova - Stickney, IL
Pistol Pete’s - Brookfield
Bazbeaux - Indianapolis, IN
Side street saloon - Chicago, IL
Little pops - Naperville, IL
Labriola (downtown)/La Barra, Oakbrook, IL
Pizza Fried Chicken Ice Cream -(Bridgeport) Chicago, IL
Marie’s Pizza and Liquors - (Albany Park) Chicago, IL
Pizza Boy - (Edison Park) Chicago, IL
Dante’s - (Logan square) Chicago, IL
Penguino’s - Buffalo Grove, IL
D’Agostino’s - (wrigleyville) Chicago, IL
Sicilia Bakery - Chicago, IL
Richie’s - Schiller Park, IL
Tortorice’s - Chicago

Still wanting to try Goodfellas in Indy.

I wonder where New Jersey’s best will ranks. Probably all between one and two on my list

@MilwaukeeBoilerFan Wisconsin getting their due respect on my list
Labriola in Chi-Town is second to none.

Upon my trip to New Jersey next month here are the rankings of the places I’ve tried around the nation so far:

John’s of Bleecker - (Manhattan) New York, NY
Prince Street - (Manhattan) New York, NY
Pizzeria Beddia - Philadelphia, PA
Wells Brothers - Racine, WI
Freddy’s - Cicero, IL
Alfie’s - (Queens) New York, NY
Spacca Napoli - (Ravenswood) Chicago, IL
Zaffiro’s - Milwaukee, WI
Giaocchino’s - Bellwood, IL
Panino’s - (Wrigleyville) Chicago, IL
Gigio’s - (Uptown) Chicago, IL
Bartolini’s - Midlothian, IL
Bije’s - (Belmont Park) Chicago, IL
Dino’s - (Oriole Park) Chicago, IL
Village Pizza and Pub - Carpentersville, IL
Salvatore’s Tomato Pies - Madison, WI
Cafe Luigi - (Lincoln Park) Chicago, IL
Villaggio - Salt Lake City, UT
Piece - (Logan Square) Chicago, IL
Paulie Gee’s - (Logan Square) Chicago, IL
Renaldi’s - (Lakeview) Chicago, IL
Michael’s - (Buena Park) Chicago, IL
Villa Napoli - Norridge, IL
Ballistreri’s - Milwaukee, WI
Milly’s Pizza in a Pan - Chicago, IL
The Stop Along - Chicago, IL
Villa Nova - Stickney, IL
Pistol Pete’s - Brookfield
Bazbeaux - Indianapolis, IN
Side street saloon - Chicago, IL
Little pops - Naperville, IL
Labriola (downtown)/La Barra, Oakbrook, IL
Pizza Fried Chicken Ice Cream -(Bridgeport) Chicago, IL
Marie’s Pizza and Liquors - (Albany Park) Chicago, IL
Pizza Boy - (Edison Park) Chicago, IL
Dante’s - (Logan square) Chicago, IL
Penguino’s - Buffalo Grove, IL
D’Agostino’s - (wrigleyville) Chicago, IL
Sicilia Bakery - Chicago, IL
Richie’s - Schiller Park, IL
Tortorice’s - Chicago

Still wanting to try Goodfellas in Indy.

I wonder where New Jersey’s best will ranks. Probably all between one and two on my list

@MilwaukeeBoilerFan Wisconsin getting their due respect on my list
I’m a big fan of Wells Brothers. If you want to go just a bit further south Villa D’Carlo in Kenosha, a town with a lot of Italians and the favorite of many of them.

I’m a big fan of Wells Brothers. If you want to go just a bit further south Villa D’Carlo in Kenosha, a town with a lot of Italians and the favorite of many of them.
Thank you for that as I had only been to luigis in Kenosha and hated it! I’ll be trying that shortly.

You’re very wise to be a fan of Wells brothers IMO. It’s a Midwest institution that every Midwesterner should visit if they go to Wisconsin. Sort of like that famous steakhouse in Indy with the shrimp cocktail. I was raised 2 hours south of Racine and when I moved up for work I had people from home telling me I had to go..

Last edited:
Reactions: Boilermb
Thank you for that as I had only been to luigis in Kenosha and hated it! I’ll be trying that shortly.

You’re very wise to be a fan of Wells brothers IMO. It’s a Midwest institution that every Midwesterner should visit if they go to Wisconsin. Sort of like that famous steakhouse in Indy with the shrimp cocktail. I was raised 2 hours south of Racine and when I moved up for work I had people from home telling me I had to go..
Worked in Racine at J.I. Case (second shift) immediately after high school, at least three nights a week went to Wells for dinner. The other four nights were spent at Villa D'Carlo's.

Worked in Racine at J.I. Case (second shift) immediately after high school, at least three nights a week went to Wells for dinner. The other four nights were spent at Villa D'Carlo's.
After the 4.3 forty when you were just canard.. which I will never think of the same way again now that I know that was your routine

And for those on the premium board .. come tell me your favorite pizza/food destinations instead of crying. Maybe you’ll give me a new place to try
The only thing I’ll cry about is that you listed ZERO New Haven pizzas. 1) Pepe’s, 2) Original Sally’s, 3) Modern Apizza, and 4) Zuppardi’s.

You know my opinion on this already.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boilermb
The only thing I’ll cry about is that you listed ZERO New Haven pizzas. 1) Pepe’s, 2) Original Sally’s, 3) Modern Apizza, and 4) Zepphardi’s.

You know my opinion on this already.
No I just haven’t been yet. I’m an enthusiastic fan of new Haven and can’t wait to eventually plan a trip there and hit all three. Incidentally I was talking to Joe Beddia at his place (he happened to be at the bar) and he said he’d never been to new Haven to try pizza but he’d do Sally’s and Zuppardi’s first. I can’t wait to go there and try them all. Probably 2023

Reactions: SDBoiler1
After the 4.3 forty when you were just canard.. which I will never think of the same way again now that I know that was your routine
Might of exaggerated a tad, actually on most Friday's had Mom's pizza (all time favorite),

Damn I’m only 50, but I grew up going to grandmas house in hungry hill for Sunday dinner when I was a kid. No wonder you like Wells brothers, I bet your moms pizza is good.

why do you still have to link stuff to share a picture? I wanna share a pic of my first pizza. What a tech moron I am

Donatos don’t look have bad, but it’s taking a beating from the locals on Yelp
Can't agree more. Donatos back in the day was pretty damn good (for a chain). Plus I could alway claim to have a coupon for a $9.99 pepperoni and always get that deal. When I visit the midwest now, its just not the same...

Reactions: TheGunner
I see your list and respect both Zaffiro’s and Ballistreri’s.
Cedarburg is a good historic town North of Milwaukee 20-30 minutes and Tomaso’s serves very good pizzas. Secret is to order at the bar. They won’t come to your table. The town has a historic village/winery just 100 ft from Tomaso’s.
Like a lot of your Chicago locations as well. I like Lou Malnati’s on Gold Coast, Chicago.
Heard of Wells Brothers and will have to day trip there for some good pizza.
Hard to beat a damn good pizza!
“I’m neither Italian or Mexican, but life is better with those foods close by.” Milwaukeeboiler
@MilwaukeeBoiler,

Your thoughts on Mader’s. I was there 25 years ago and loved it. Hoping to go back this summer.

Is it still worth a stop?

Last edited:
@MilwaukeeBoiler,

Your thoughts on Mader’s. I was there 25 years ago and loved it. Hoping to go back this summer.

Is it still worth stop?
My last girlfriend was from a neighborhood in Chicago and let’s just say she had that neighborhood attitude. I sent her a picture of mader’s like “welcome to Milwaukee” and I got a text back like “I don’t know about no Milwaukee babe” 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: TheGunner
@MilwaukeeBoiler,

Is it still worth a stop?
Yes, absolutely! Last time I was there was pre-Covid 2019 so keep that in mind. For dinners, I enjoy their Hungarian Beef Goulash and Pork Shank are both outstanding. A Friday Fish fry for a change up once in awhile is very good as well.
Note: They still had valet parking no charge when eating which is a premium in that area. I wouldn’t attempt a Bucks home game as it is close to Fiserv Forum as Parking liking gouges on game and concert nights.
Sad the museum upstairs with collectible rare steins and Hummels was closed for good due to the Lady running it was in poor health.
I may have to Scout it out for you in the near future as I want their Hungarian goulash recipe. The beef chunks are so tender and tasty it practically melts in your mouth. My daughter seconds that opinion as well.
Something of historical note. The actual Red Barron’s large dining table is in the front nearest the bar with the knight’s armor next to it.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BCfanatic2020
Yes, absolutely! Last time I was there was pre-Covid 2019 so keep that in mind. For dinners, I enjoy their Hungarian Beef Goulash and Pork Shank are both outstanding. A Friday Fish fry for a change up once in awhile is very good as well.
Note: They still had valet parking no charge when eating which is a premium in that area. I wouldn’t attempt a Bucks home game as it is close to Fiserv Forum as Parking liking gouges on game and concert nights.
Sad the museum upstairs with collectible rare steins and Hummels was closed for good due to the Lady running it was in poor health.
I may have to Scout it out for you in the near future as I want their Hungarian goulash recipe. The beef chunks are so tender and tasty it practically melts in your mouth. My daughter seconds that opinion as well.
Something of historical note. The actual Red Barron’s large dining table is in the front nearest the bar with the knight’s armor next to it.
Awesome…thanks for the information! I had seen a segment on the Food Channel a couple years ago and assumed everything was still awesome.

I have a friend whose daughter is getting married this summer in Northern WI and the family is thinking about heading there for summer vacation. I’ll keep Mader’s on list of things to hit.

Reactions: MilwaukeeBoilerFan
Awesome…thanks for the information! I had seen a segment on the Food Channel a couple years ago and assumed everything was still awesome.

I have a friend whose daughter is getting married this summer in Northern WI and the family is thinking about heading there for summer vacation. I’ll keep Mader’s on list of things to hit.
Good call on a stopping point along the way. Want to give a shout out for their Reuben rolls as appetizers. A family fav when we’ve gone there.
Hope you enjoy your experience. Old World District also has Spice House 2 or 3 doors down. If you or your wife like to cook, it is a must visit for some unique spices. Pullman Pork seasoning and Mitchell Street seasonings are 2 among many many seasonings they have that are in my wheelhouse of favs!

Last edited:
Good call on a stopping point along the way. Want to give a shout out for their Reuben rolls as appetizers. A family fav when we’ve gone there.
Hope you enjoy your experience. Old World District also has Spice House 2 or 3 doors down. If you or your wife like to cook, it is a must visit for some unique spices. Pullman Pork seasoning and Mitchell Street seasonings are 2 among many many seasonings they have that are in my wheelhouse of favs!
Thank you for the recommendations. I lived in Brown Deer 25 yrs ago for about 9 months working on a project. We went to Mader’s 3-4 times during that year but haven’t been back since. Looking forward to the trip.

Thanks again!

Thank you for the recommendations. I lived in Brown Deer 25 yrs ago for about 9 months working on a project. We went to Mader’s 3-4 times during that year but haven’t been back since. Looking forward to the trip.

Thanks again!
Wells brothers and zaffiros would be great stops for pizza

ADVERTISEMENT