Brevard 30.9
Mba 29.9
Berglund 22.6

Coverage

Stevens 54.4
Grant 53.0
Jenkins 52.2
Madden 47.3

Lots of concerning stuff in there and lots of stuff that would convince you that for now:

The front seven may be the weak spot of the team; particularly the OLBs
Jenkins may not have the agility for MLB

Jenkins absolutely does not have that agility and should not play MLB.

It’s fine when he’s got a gap to fill and that’s it but he committed to blitz several times and the QB or play as a whole ran away from him and were successful. If that happening vs ISU it will be glaring vs P4 teams. Like the kid but he bolsters the DE spot much more. If you can’t track down the ISU QB you can’t track down an NFL QB or RB.

Card was the bright spot. Poised and accurate. Still throws a terrible deep ball with too much loft. Ironic that was his one miss was on a deep ball and in a tight game Edrine should have jumped/dove for it. Not much to say about Klare that hasn’t. He’s a weapon when healthy which is crazy because he looks like just a guy. Another Brohm Diamond in the rough.

Love looked better than I remembered. Mock looked way less fluid and double cut in some situations he should have pressed a hole or cut and taken the 5-6 yards vs stopping and getting 1-2. The Jackson kid looks like he can play and we need that badly for depth.

The defensive backfield was not great yesterday in coverage…we just played a team that in no way could take advantage. Not everybody back there was a Freshman…

Reactions: Inspector100
Jenkins absolutely does not have that agility and should not play MLB.

It’s fine when he’s got a gap to fill and that’s it but he committed to blitz several times and the QB or play as a whole ran away from him and were successful. If that happening vs ISU it will be glaring vs P4 teams. Like the kid but he bolsters the DE spot much more. If you can’t track down the ISU QB you can’t track down an NFL QB or RB.

Card was the bright spot. Poised and accurate. Still throws a terrible deep ball with too much loft. Ironic that was his one miss was on a deep ball and in a tight game Edrine should have jumped/dove for it. Not much to say about Klare that hasn’t. He’s a weapon when healthy which is crazy because he looks like just a guy. Another Brohm Diamond in the rough.

Love looked better than I remembered. Mock looked way less fluid and double cut in some situations he should have pressed a hole or cut and taken the 5-6 yards vs stopping and getting 1-2. The Jackson kid looks like he can play and we need that badly for depth.

The defensive backfield was not great yesterday in coverage…we just played a team that in no way could take advantage. Not everybody back there was a Freshman…
We agree wholeheartedly on Jenkins. Seems like every staff I’ve seen every year has at least one bad idea and this is the bad idea for this staff.

But, also, when you talk about money and Purdue not having any, who the F else do we have at MLB? Yanni? If Purdue had more of a player personnel arsenal, Biber and/or griffin wouldn’t be on scholarship here and that money would be used on a MLB with good big ten tools.

This reminds me of Kyle smith being a starting safety

We agree wholeheartedly on Jenkins. Seems like every staff I’ve seen every year has at least one bad idea and this is the bad idea for this staff.

But, also, when you talk about money and Purdue not having any, who the F else do we have at MLB? Yanni? If Purdue had more of a player personnel arsenal, Biber and/or griffin wouldn’t be on scholarship here and that money would be used on a MLB with good big ten tools.

This reminds me of Kyle smith being a starting safety
I’m not sold on Jenkins as a MLB at this point either, but I’m also nit sure it’s due to physical limitations. He might be slower mentally at this right now than he is slow physically. But I guarantee you that against teams that actually throw it and with Yanni eligible, Jenkins is going to get plenty of snaps on the edge. Especially if Madden and Sillah aren’t making a ton of plays.

I’m not sold on Jenkins as a MLB at this point either, but I’m also nit sure it’s due to physical limitations. He might be slower mentally at this right now than he is slow physically. But I guarantee you that against teams that actually throw it and with Yanni eligible, Jenkins is going to get plenty of snaps on the edge. Especially if Madden and Sillah aren’t making a ton of plays.
Madden, Sillah and Ojata were all invisible on Saturday. As much as Yanni can leave something to be desired at times, I think he, Jenkins and Heldt may be the best trio

Did the staff promise KJ he could play LB if he stayed ? That’s the only scenario that makes sense.
Probably. But sometimes you have to say no. If this goes how I think it will for a few more games, I hope the pitch is “let’s move you back, you aren’t looking like a NFL middle linebacker… hey a lot of guys are extending their college careers. Why not see if you can come back for more NIL money next year.”

Because other than Heldt I didn’t see much at OLB honestly

Reactions: pboiler18
Probably. But sometimes you have to say no. If this goes how I think it will for a few more games, I hope the pitch is “let’s move you back, you aren’t looking like a NFL middle linebacker… hey a lot of guys are extending their college careers. Why not see if you can come back for more NIL money next year.”

I’ve only heard fantastic things about CJ Madden from anybody who’s coached him here in GA or knows HS football here in state.

Who knows if we ever get any of that to shine through but there’s more than just potential there. Seems like it’s likely not this year though.

I remember when Joe Strickland was seen as a good get. What’s up there?

There surely is an element to this of wanting to do right by your player, especially after he stayed here and didn’t chase a bag. I believe there was a pretty legit attempt to buy him from somewhere just before spring, and he stayed. Walters and Kane need to manage this well with Jenkins and Yanni. They may even need to use Berglund if he is ready at all for some speed, as Yanni himself isn’t exactly fleet of foot. Jenkins cannot come back, he is using his final year of eligibility right now.

I’ve only heard fantastic things about CJ Madden from anybody who’s coached him here in GA or knows HS football here in state.

Who knows if we ever get any of that to shine through but there’s more than just potential there. Seems like it’s likely not this year though.

Madden certainly looks the part. High hopes for him. Strickland obviously couldn’t play edge and is still trying to grow into a DT I think.

It's interesting seeing these scores to have an actual metric of performance. I always well remember when it was determined that Rondale Moore practiced twice as hard as the next payer on the Purdue roster! Hopefully this gives players an incentive to improve.

Hope so on madden.

Nat maintains Strickland was overrated. Apparently when he got here he shied below average burst at 4-3 DE. They’ve tried to grow him to a bigger position, but nothing.

There surely is an element to this of wanting to do right by your player, especially after he stayed here and didn’t chase a bag. I believe there was a pretty legit attempt to buy him from somewhere just before spring, and he stayed. Walters and Kane need to manage this well with Jenkins and Yanni. They may even need to use Berglund if he is ready at all for some speed, as Yanni himself isn’t exactly fleet of foot. Jenkins cannot come back, he is using his final year of eligibility right now.
To the last point you see stories about guys being in their 9th year of college

I will not argue with any of the assessments made. My only input is that when recruiting and building a team, it’s very important to recruit players and build depth at every position rather than just 1-2 positions. You saw it in the past where several positions were loaded with quality players and many of those quality players were so far down on the depth chart, they never contributed to our success and left. The posts above seem to point to a lack of depth at linebacker. We all jumped for joy at all those quality DBs that signed . It appears we needed to pay a little more attention to adding quality players at other positions.

Looking back, that was a huge issue with Hazell’s teams. No one can say he didn’t have some quality players on his teams. However, he had a couple of positions he totally ignored that became obvious weak points. And teams exploited those weak points.

Go back to your elementary school days. Did you ever play red rover? Often times there are great players on both teams. But once the players discover who the weak links are, they will always run through those weakest links. And the great players will be of little use.

Now go back to Purdue football. You could have 4 great players on the offensive line, but if the 5th player is weak, the defense is going to run right through the weak player to sack the qb. It’s the same with the defensive line. If your players are weak and slow and undersized that’s where they are going to run the ball. If your db is slow or gets faked out a lot, That’s where the ball is going to be thrown.

So how do you spell success? Have quality players at every position. And have quality depth at every position! How do you do that? Don’t over recruit at one position. It’s great to recruit five 4 star players. But it’s even better if those 5 players played different positions rather than the same one.

Look at Texas. They have two 5 star QBs. They only really need one. Think at how much better they would be if one of those 5 star Qbs was a 5 star receiver or linebacker or just plain at a different position.

I like the players Walters has recruited. However I would like it more if some of his best recruits played different positions other than DB. Maybe one of his recruited safeties could play LB!

I will not argue with any of the assessments made. My only input is that when recruiting and building a team, it’s very important to recruit players and build depth at every position rather than just 1-2 positions. You saw it in the past where several positions were loaded with quality players and many of those quality players were so far down on the depth chart, they never contributed to our success and left. The posts above seem to point to a lack of depth at linebacker. We all jumped for joy at all those quality DBs that signed . It appears we needed to pay a little more attention to adding quality players at other positions.

Looking back, that was a huge issue with Hazell’s teams. No one can say he didn’t have some quality players on his teams. However, he had a couple of positions he totally ignored that became obvious weak points. And teams exploited those weak points.

Go back to your elementary school days. Did you ever play red rover? Often times there are great players on both teams. But once the players discover who the weak links are, they will always run through those weakest links. And the great players will be of little use.

Now go back to Purdue football. You could have 4 great players on the offensive line, but if the 5th player is weak, the defense is going to run right through the weak player to sack the qb. It’s the same with the defensive line. If your players are weak and slow and undersized that’s where they are going to run the ball. If your db is slow or gets faked out a lot, That’s where the ball is going to be thrown.

So how do you spell success? Have quality players at every position. And have quality depth at every position! How do you do that? Don’t over recruit at one position. It’s great to recruit five 4 star players. But it’s even better if those 5 players played different positions rather than the same one.

Look at Texas. They have two 5 star QBs. They only really need one. Think at how much better they would be if one of those 5 star Qbs was a 5 star receiver or linebacker or just plain at a different position.

I like the players Walters has recruited. However I would like it more if some of his best recruits played different positions other than DB. Maybe one of his recruited safeties could play LB!
Lot of text from a guy who admits he doesn’t watch the games.

Horrible take. They don’t focus on DB they are just really good at DB and you have a lot of good DB recruits that want to play for this coaching staff. Same stupid argument you had for OL for years and didn’t understand why wisconsin and iowa prioritized OL more than us. In 2023 we offered 18 LBs and got 2 good recruits. Some of our offers were to 4 star players that went to Georgia, OSU, ND, etc. same with 2024 we had 5-4 star offers at LB.

How much of this is the players played poorly and how much is we played a vanilla defense? I'm open to it being the former, but I also do wonder if part of why the defense didn't seem to do much other than stop an overmatched opponent is because they were playing very vanilla with little deception.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
How much of this is the players played poorly and how much is we played a vanilla defense? I'm open to it being the former, but I also do wonder if part of why the defense didn't seem to do much other than stop an overmatched opponent is because they were playing very vanilla with little deception.
We dont really vary scheme at all.

We get more aggressive with blitzes at times but I don’t expect to see much different other than that once the competition gets tougher.

Good news for you, marable was recruited to play ILB. The more you know…. But what is Walter’s supposed to do, ignore talent that wants to come to Purdue?

Everything was likely vanilla. Why would you show anything? Walter’s essentially said they did exactly what the expected. Scrimmage vs a lessor opponent.

Reactions: krf3632
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT