ADVERTISEMENT

Petrino fired

Not good timing at all, coming out of our big L yesterday.

Not good timing at all, coming out of our big L yesterday.
Maybe Brohm purposely threw the game yesterday to send a message to Louisville, ''Don't look at me! Look elsewhere!!"

Watching the Syracuse-UofL game Friday night I can certainly understand why Petrino was fired. It was the worst half of football I’ve ever watched at a D1, Power 5 level. Petrine had no fire, no emotion and reflected a coach who had lost his team and knew what was coming.
With that said, if Brohm is truly not interested in leaving Purdue for Louisville, he needs to say so clearly and definitively in the next 24 hours IMO.
Then, he needs to get his team focused and prepared for a challenging next 2 weeks, a bowl game and getting a great recruiting class locked down.
I suspect that Mitch and Bobinski are done “negotiating” and feel they have made it clear they are supporting Purdue Football . . . But also want/need a guy who truly is committed to being a Boilermaker. I’m confident Brohm is that guy.

Coach Brohm recruits the best class in his coaching career, telling them he is staying at Purdue, yet people think he would give all of that up, to move somewhere else, knowing it would take 3 to 4 years to even make that somewhere else respectable enough to recruit as good of a class as the one that is incoming at Purdue. Realize he may be loyal to Louisville because it's his alma mater, but this would be loyalty to a fault.

Again, look at the entirety of the situation. The only thing UofL has over Purdue is that it is his hometown university. He has already coached there before and been fired. He has also never once mentioned a want to get back to coaching there.
He's also an alumnus who played there, as did his brothers. It's a little more than simply "his hometown university". I doubt he takes it, but to deny the reality of the situation is foolish.

Maybe Tom Allen will be considered?

Last edited:
Reactions: echs86
Maybe Brohm purposely threw the game yesterday to send a message to Louisville, ''Don't look at me! Look elsewhere!!"

I think it’d be more likely that he was unprepared/uninspired last night because he knew about the UL opening. (And I don’t think ^^^ is very likely at all.)

How much would it take for UL to buy out the Purdue contract? I read that UL has to pay Petrino $14M to break there contract. Now, the Rick Pitino lawsuit.

Does UL have $30M just lying around? I doubt it.

They have more money than you realize

Reactions: aipain68
How much would it take for UL to buy out the Purdue contract? I read that UL has to pay Petrino $14M to break there contract. Now, the Rick Pitino lawsuit.

They don't have to pay it immediately, and it would likely contain a clause that deducts future coaching or broadcasting earnings from what he's owed. I have my doubts that he'll leave, but it's not hard to understand that he might want to, given his ties to the community and university.

Nearly $40 million thus appears to be at stake over the distinction of whether Louisville had cause to fire Pitino or not. The university says it did, which means he would not be owed that money. Pitino has argued it did not, which means he would be owed that money.
If math is correct, it will total close to $58 million of U of L loses in court + lawyer fees in settling their mess down their.
https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...letic-association-lawsuit-timeline/862537002/

Last edited:
He's also an alumnus who played there, as did his brothers. It's a little more than simply "his hometown university". I doubt he takes it, but to deny the reality of the situation is foolish.
I’m not discrediting his time there...but some people overplay that importance. There are tons of coaches out there who don’t return where they came from.

I’m not discrediting his time there...but some people overplay that importance. There are tons of coaches out there who don’t return where they came from.
If he had no tie to U of L, this would be a non-issue. But the ties are significant, and he'll consider going there as a result. I hope he chooses to remain at Purdue, but he's going to be in play for that job.

Reactions: echs86
They have more money than you realize
Read this and ask yourself if Purdue has problems like this: Louisville AD and University spending problems

The answer is....no. Again, the only thing UofL has over Purdue is it is his hometown. Purdue has every advantage over UofL. MBob needs to show and likely has shown all of the positives Purdue has for Brohm, his staff, and his family.

However, if Brohm wants to leave I have full confidence in the AD to find a great hire to carry on what Brohn has started.

Also, does Brohm have some sort of out clause for UofL in his contrac? Don’t know, just curious

Guys sucks for you - Brohm family is first family of UofL football - Dad and brothers played there - nobody saw Petrino flaming out this quick. Just try to get you another top Coach - Brohm is gone - nothing against Purdue but its happening

Pure speculation on your part and nothing more.

Reactions: chaspark
Watching the Syracuse-UofL game Friday night I can certainly understand why Petrino was fired. It was the worst half of football I’ve ever watched at a D1, Power 5 level. Petrine had no fire, no emotion and reflected a coach who had lost his team and knew what was coming.
With that said, if Brohm is truly not interested in leaving Purdue for Louisville, he needs to say so clearly and definitively in the next 24 hours IMO.
Then, he needs to get his team focused and prepared for a challenging next 2 weeks, a bowl game and getting a great recruiting class locked down.
I suspect that Mitch and Bobinski are done “negotiating” and feel they have made it clear they are supporting Purdue Football . . . But also want/need a guy who truly is committed to being a Boilermaker. I’m confident Brohm is that guy.
You may be right. I have tremendous respect for Mitch Daniels. I wish he was president - of the USA. But the Brohms ARE Louisville football. If Jeff doesn’t come now, the chance may never come again. We will see.

Reactions: td75
Guys sucks for you - Brohm family is first family of UofL football - Dad and brothers played there - nobody saw Petrino flaming out this quick. Just try to get you another top Coach - Brohm is gone - nothing against Purdue but its happening

I love your unwavering confidence based on knowing absolutely nothing. Probably less than nothing. But hey, if he does decide to leave I wish him the best.

Personally, the way Bobby went from demi-god to demon in a span of two years would make me seriously think about going there. What happens if the first family of Louisville goes from beloved to hated? Where does he go then? Your fan base is a bit crazy, to say the least.

Reactions: chaspark
I love your unwavering confidence based on knowing absolutely nothing. Probably less than nothing. But hey, if he does decide to leave I wish him the best.

Personally, the way Bobby went from demi-god to demon in a span of two years would make me seriously think about going there. What happens if the first family of Louisville goes from beloved to hated? Where does he go then? Your fan base is a bit crazy, to say the least.
I’m a Louisville fan but Oklahoma State Alum. If you think Card fans are crazy, try Sooner fans. They are psychos, period. Ha!

still do not believe U of L has the $$$'s to do all this while fighting Pitino in court.

UofL does. Has had a top 20 athletic budget since the 1990’s, when Howard Schnellenberger built football up to a level of success that approached where Denny Crum had basketball.

There is a perception among fans of most Big Ten and SEC schools that UofL only started to make money when it joined the ACC. The reality is that, when UofL joined CUSA in the mid season 1990’s, its athletic deparment budget was triple the next biggest school’s. And when it joined the Big East, it had the biggest athletic department budget of any school in that conference (20% bigger than second place West Virginia). And when it joined the ACC, the only school with a bigger athletic budget was (and still is) Florida State. And FSU’s is barely bigger.

Not to be a jerk, but I can’t see Brohm staying at Purdue. He’s a big-time homebody and has always loved his hometown.

Reactions: aipain68
Watching the
While we would all love for that to happen, it simply isn't going to go down like that. I'm sure Brohm will be asked about the Louisville opening and he will deflect all questions as he usually does, but he entertained Tennessee last year and he will absolutely do the same with Louisville this year. Plus, it is great leverage for him to get more money from Purdue (as he should be doing in these types of situations), and if we survive this with Brohm still at Purdue our recruiting is literally going to go through the roof. My point is, all the cards are in Brohm's hands right now, and he is in no rush to make any move until the speculation hits an absolute peak.

Dan dakich announced a few days ago news was coming and further clarified it was the football coach being fired and the targets were UAB coach or Charlie Strong. If he got the info on the firing and called when it would happen I would say his info has some merit.

Brohm does not need to publicly address it to the public/media. He needs to tell Louisville, which if he isn’t on their list he already did. He needs to tell the recruits, and he just got a commitment from Wright and I am absolutely positive Brohm knew in some way that their coach was being fired and they were interested in. His recruits have constantly questioned him about his position at Purdue and he has told them repeatedly he isn’t going anywhere. There has been nothing saying Brohm is interested in the job other than speculation. There is, however, plenty of evidence saying he is staying.

Louisville is a mess. He may have been a Cardinal but right now he is a Boilermaker. I am not saying he won’t leave, but everything points to Brohm staying for 4 more years. If the NFL is the ultimate goal, he would be much better served staying at Purdue than going to the mess that is Louisville and restarting... again.

Last edited:

"How much would it take for UL to buy out the Purdue contract?"

$4.4 million

Damn dakich announced a few days ago news was coming and further clarified it was the football coach being fired and the targets were UAB coach or Charlie Strong. If he got the info on the firing and called when it would happen I would say his info has some merit.

Brohm does not need to publicly address it to the public/media. He needs to tell Louisville, which if he isn’t on their list he already did. He needs to tell the recruits, and he just got a commitment from Wright and I am absolutely positive Brohm knew in some way that their coach was being fired and they were interested in. His recruits have constantly questioned him about his position at Purdue and he has told them repeatedly he isn’t going anywhere. There has been nothing saying Brohm is interested in the job other than speculation. There is, however, plenty of evidence saying he is staying.

Louisville is a mess. He may have been a Cardinal but right now he is a Boilermaker. I am not saying he won’t leave, but everything points to Brohm staying for 4 more years. If the NFL is the ultimate goal, he would be much better served staying at Purdue than going to the mess that is Louisville and restarting... again.
You're being naive here. He and his family are deeply rooted in the city and University of Louisville. He's their top candidate, and he'll consider it very carefully. He might stay, he might go, but considering what may be a once in a lifetime opportunity to return to his hometown and alma mater hardly makes him dishonest or insincere or even a bad guy.

ADVERTISEMENT