ADVERTISEMENT

Petree's Career Night Secures Purdue Win Against Syracuse

Petree with 31 pts on 13/21 shooting - including 1 of Purdue's (only 3) 3PT baskets - is really impressive. That along with 7 rebs, 2 blks and 1 steal in 29 mins. 8 TO's is the only blemish but she plays VERY hard. A pretty amazing line. Certainly belies the opinion of some on this board (not mentioning names) who were bad-mouthing Coach Gearlds' portal acquisitions.

I love coach's reply when asked if she knew Petree was capable of this... "Yeah, we knew it. I don’t think anybody else knew it. Secret’s out, baby.” Hahaha

Petree with 31 pts on 13/21 shooting - including 1 of Purdue's (only 3) 3PT baskets - is really impressive. That along with 7 rebs, 2 blks and 1 steal in 29 mins. 8 TO's is the only blemish but she plays VERY hard. A pretty amazing line. Certainly belies the opinion of some on this board (not mentioning names) who were bad-mouthing Coach Gearlds' portal acquisitions.

I love coach's reply when asked if she knew Petree was capable of this... "Yeah, we knew it. I don’t think anybody else knew it. Secret’s out, baby.” Hahaha
Petree is a heck of a scorer and defender, no doubts. My concerns are still if this causes additional portal losses, team cohession, and will it result in better results in conference play. I did point out that if she got minutes it would severely reduce some players time on the floor, and the ones getting pushed down the bench are Smith to some degree and Potts entirely. Will that result in transfers? We will see, I hope not as I think Potts has a ton of upside. If we lose Potts for a one year player like Petree, I will not call it a good trade unless we finish top 5 in conference.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
Petree is a heck of a scorer and defender, no doubts. My concerns are still if this causes additional portal losses, team cohession, and will it result in better results in conference play. I did point out that if she got minutes it would severely reduce some players time on the floor, and the ones getting pushed down the bench are Smith to some degree and Potts entirely. Will that result in transfers? We will see, I hope not as I think Potts has a ton of upside. If we lose Potts for a one year player like Petree, I will not call it a good trade unless we finish top 5 in conference.
I would think you play for the present. With the portal, things are too unpredictable to worry about who will be on the team next year or the year after.

As for Smith, this is the first game this year I can remember that she at all looked like she belonged out there.

Potts is not ready yet. The few times she has gotten the ball, even when wide open, she appears to me to freeze and then give the ball up. I agree she has tremendous upside based on her HS career but she has to get used to this game before she will be of any help to us. She may require patience just like Smith did/does.

I would think you play for the present. With the portal, things are too unpredictable to worry about who will be on the team next year or the year after.

As for Smith, this is the first game this year I can remember that she at all looked like she belonged out there.

Potts is not ready yet. The few times she has gotten the ball, even when wide open, she appears to me to freeze and then give the ball up. I agree she has tremendous upside based on her HS career but she has to get used to this game before she will be of any help to us. She may require patience just like Smith did/does.

That point about Smith simply doesn't add up. Her 16 pt showing vs. Marshall carried us to the win. She had a 10 pt effort vs. ISU when we were struggling to score and she had a nice 8 pt. 5 reb. game against Murray St. She disappeared a bit in Cancun - but only played 8 min. in our loss against FSU - which I believe was a complete mistake by the coaching staff. She is our most athletic guard and we need her when we play teams like FSU, Syracuse. She's been up and down this season but once she stabilizes herself - watch out. She has the talent and is only beginning her sophomore season.

That point about Smith simply doesn't add up. Her 16 pt showing vs. Marshall carried us to the win. She had a 10 pt effort vs. ISU when we were struggling to score and she had a nice 8 pt. 5 reb. game against Murray St. She disappeared a bit in Cancun - but only played 8 min. in our loss against FSU - which I believe was a complete mistake by the coaching staff. She is our most athletic guard and we need her when we play teams like FSU, Syracuse. She's been up and down this season but once she stabilizes herself - watch out. She has the talent and is only beginning her sophomore season.
Mostly agree with this, Smith's been inconsistent, but so is her playing time so it's hard for any of the bench players to find a rhythm not knowing if they are getting 4 minutes a night or 20, and if they will play a minute or five before being subbed out when they go in. For the sophomores it's rougher because they are still developing and don't have the experience and confidence that Ellis has to be able to just roll with it.

Mostly agree with this, Smith's been inconsistent, but so is her playing time so it's hard for any of the bench players to find a rhythm not knowing if they are getting 4 minutes a night or 20, and if they will play a minute or five before being subbed out when they go in. For the sophomores it's rougher because they are still developing and don't have the experience and confidence that Ellis has to be able to just roll with it.
Looking at her Game by Game stats - if you take out the FSU and Oklahoma St. games - her playing time has been fairly consistent. For whatever reason, the coaches limited her PT against the Noles and Cowgirls. Which again, I believe was a mistake. All I can think is that those two games were extremely competitive and the coaches trust the older, more experienced guards much more in those type of games. We have an experienced laded team - which is great in many aspects - but it can be a hindrance to emerging players like Smith who just needs a chance to prove herself to the staff. I think she took a big step in doing that against Syracuse.

Petree has been great, the goal this year should be 20 or so wins plus a NCAA birth, Petree improves those chances. IU just lost a top 50 player to the portal, that’s the nature of the game these days. I would guess both Frosh get a great chance at playing time next season, Purdue is going to lose plenty of players. Potts obviously isn’t there yet, maybe she will be later in the season or next year, if not and she decides to leave so be it, they’ll be plenty of others that are in the portal to pick from. As for the team so far, good enough start, still looks like a mid level conference team, hoping they do enough to garner a tourney bid, that would be a nice year. Coach needs to start getting at the least top 50 players, perhaps getting a tourney bid improves those chances.

Reactions: DocRon
Petree has been great, the goal this year should be 20 or so wins plus a NCAA birth, Petree improves those chances. IU just lost a top 50 player to the portal, that’s the nature of the game these days. I would guess both Frosh get a great chance at playing time next season, Purdue is going to lose plenty of players. Potts obviously isn’t there yet, maybe she will be later in the season or next year, if not and she decides to leave so be it, they’ll be plenty of others that are in the portal to pick from. As for the team so far, good enough start, still looks like a mid level conference team, hoping they do enough to garner a tourney bid, that would be a nice year. Coach needs to start getting at the least top 50 players, perhaps getting a tourney bid improves those chances.

Petree's big-time success this year is only going to help KG, who has already shown to be a good recruiter, become an even better recruiter because she has an example of a player who averaged 7ppg prior to joining the program - and then becoming an absolute star for us and upping her averages to nearly 20 ppg. Ellis and Terry's successes will also be used as well. KG can now go to recruits and even more important - big time transfers - and show this to them which will help her chances of landing them. Again - KG is new to D1 basketball and will need some time to prove herself. Thankfully she is proving her coaching quickly and will reap the benefits next summer.

Last edited:
With as weak as our non-conference schedule was/is, 20 wins doesn't get us into the NCAAs. We need to make some noise in the Big Ten and finish i the upper half of the conference to truly have a good chance at the big tournament. I think we are WNIT bound again just because of the limitations of our scheduling. You get bonus consideration for road wins and discounted for home wins..... our only chances for road wins are the 9 road games in the Big Ten, that is pretty limiting IMHO.

With as weak as our non-conference schedule was/is, 20 wins doesn't get us into the NCAAs. We need to make some noise in the Big Ten and finish i the upper half of the conference to truly have a good chance at the big tournament. I think we are WNIT bound again just because of the limitations of our scheduling. You get bonus consideration for road wins and discounted for home wins..... our only chances for road wins are the 9 road games in the Big Ten, that is pretty limiting IMHO.

You keep going on and on about our weak schedule but going into B10 play our RPI is 16 and our SOS is 25. Also I'd love to hear your thoughts on top 15 ranked LSU's extremely weak OOC schedule and how that will affect them come March.

RPI

Make no mistake, Purdue’s a mid level Big Ten team, they easily can miss the tourney. Key is finishing in the 5/6 range, don’t want to finish 7/8 which they easily could.

You keep going on and on about our weak schedule but going into B10 play our RPI is 16 and our SOS is 25. Also I'd love to hear your thoughts on top 15 ranked LSU's extremely weak OOC schedule and how that will affect them come March.

RPI
ROFL, even the developers of RPI state its not at all reliable until the end of February, I thought you were a knowledgeable fan. OF all the teams we have faced so far, only TWO are picked to finish in the top of their mostly weak conferences: Murray St at 4th in the MVC (a perenial powerhouse ROFL) and Harvard 4th of 8 in the Ivy. FSU and Syracuse 9th and 10th in the ACC and OkSU 9th in the B12. And not one true road game in our non-conference schedule, which works against us come selection Sunday as well.

"ROFL.. I thought you were a knowledgeable fan"

Michael why do you have to be so mean? It makes you look so pathetic. Make your points without resorting to ad hominem attacks.

Reactions: RBryant311
Well I did say "that I can remember" and being 75yo there is a lot I forget. (Grin). You made good points, BoilerPride08.

I just expected to see more from her this year. But yes, she has had some good efforts.

ROFL, even the developers of RPI state its not at all reliable until the end of February, I thought you were a knowledgeable fan. OF all the teams we have faced so far, only TWO are picked to finish in the top of their mostly weak conferences: Murray St at 4th in the MVC (a perenial powerhouse ROFL) and Harvard 4th of 8 in the Ivy. FSU and Syracuse 9th and 10th in the ACC and OkSU 9th in the B12. And not one true road game in our non-conference schedule, which works against us come selection Sunday as well.
"ROFL.. I thought you were a knowledgeable fan"

Michael why do you have to be so mean? It makes you look so pathetic. Make your points without resorting to ad hominem attacks.The thing is he _______________
RPI is what it is… Cuse and OK State usually make the tourney, Florida State as well. I watched the Boilers against the Q, Purdue looked ok, not great athletically, however, they have some scorers.

RPI is what it is… Cuse and OK State usually make the tourney, Florida State as well. I watched the Boilers against the Q, Purdue looked ok, not great athletically, however, they have some scorers.
'Cuse lost to Penn St by thirteen before they played us.... And before there are enough games to make the formula work RPI is no better than throwing darts at a wall. Well see how our SOS looks once the datas is reliable, I guarantee it won't be that high for the ooc portion of schedule

Last edited:

RPI
I think LSU's schedule will bite them before March. Playing against such weak teams you are able to beat on just athleticism without having to execute makes it real easy to develop sloppy habits. And for them it doesn't get challenging until probably the game against UK..... I suspect it will also cost them a spot or two in seeding come March.

'Cuse lost to Penn St by thirteen before they played us.... And before there are enough games to make the formula work RPI is no better than throwing darts at a wall. Well see how our SOS looks once the datas is reliable, I guarantee it won't be that high for the ooc portion of schedule
I do agree, it’s way early to think RPI makes a difference, however, at this point it’s showing Purdue’s schedule to be decent. We know the Big Ten has 4 teams that look to be head and shoulders above the rest, of the rest probably 2-3 make the dance, Purdue has a shot, I think they’re better than last year.

RPI

Please look at the current RPI and judge for yourself if its remotely realistic..... Creighton #3, IU SOS only one above us, Penn St above us..... Its utter nonsense and ridiculousness....... and I got chided for calling someone out for using this to justify his preconceived notions without actually showing you the full results of how insanely skewed they are until they gather enough data to be relevant. Notice no OSU on this list yet either despite two wins over ranked teams and being undefeated so far.

Doc, you are a hypocrite. You can take pot shots at me, Pride can take pot shots at anyone on the board, but when I hit him back you cry foul.... ....
No, I don’t attack you personally other than to say your posts are mean, and I doubt many on this board would disagree. When you “chide” someone saying “And I thought you were a knowledgeable fan” that is a personal attack (an ad hominem attack) that has nothing to do with the argument you are making.

I actually beieve many of your points about (in this instance) RPI are correct. It is obvious that you are a very knowledgeable person when it comes to basketball.

I just detest the way you personally attack people you disagree with or want to correct.

No, I don’t attack you personally other than to say your posts are mean, and I doubt many on this board would disagree. When you “chide” someone saying “And I thought you were a knowledgeable fan” that is a personal attack (an ad hominem attack) that has nothing to do with the argument you are making.

I actually beieve many of your points about (in this instance) RPI are correct. It is obvious that you are a very knowledgeable person when it comes to basketball.

I just detest the way you personally attack people you disagree with or want to correct.
Me being mean spirited would have been saying he did not post it out of ignorance, but malice, which is the only other choice. I mean come on, according to the current RPI we make the tourney and finish 4th in the BT behind IU, Maryland, and PSU..... OSU goes to the WNIT and despite playing at UL and home to UTenn and winning both, their SOS is 226...... The RPI is notoriously crap before the end of February and anyone who seriously follows women's hoops knows that. The only two reasons to post it in the first week of December is you really don't know much about WBBall or you do know its crap but are intellectually dishonest enough to use crap data to make an invalid point to try and prop yourself and your ego up.

Me being mean spirited would have been saying he did not post it out of ignorance, but malice, which is the only other choice. I mean come on, according to the current RPI we make the tourney and finish 4th in the BT behind IU, Maryland, and PSU..... OSU goes to the WNIT and despite playing at UL and home to UTenn and winning both, their SOS is 226...... The RPI is notoriously crap before the end of February and anyone who seriously follows women's hoops knows that. The only two reasons to post it in the first week of December is you really don't know much about WBBall or you do know its crap but are intellectually dishonest enough to use crap data to make an invalid point to try and prop yourself and your ego up.
I just said that I thought you are right about RPI but I guess you can't let it go.

And yes, responding to someone posting here by posting " I thought you were a knowledgeable fan" is mean. The fact you cannot admit to that is revealing.

I just said that I thought you are right about RPI but I guess you can't let it go.

And yes, responding to someone posting here by posting " I thought you were a knowledgeable fan" is mean. The fact you cannot admit to that is revealing.
Michael in fairness has been better, no doubt there’s times though he falls of the wagon lol. There’s no doubt that he takes his women hoops seriously, not going to lie I don’t. I want the ladies to win, follow their scores and watch when possible but my passion is mens hoops, Boilers looking good so far, go Zack attack lol

I posted it in regards to the strong SOS not RPI - something that will only get stronger as you enter conference play - which is exactly what we will be doing tonight. A lot teams who have played extremely weak OOC schedules are in the 150-200s. You claim our OOC schedule has been weak yet we are in the 20s with a game against TAMU left and then a full B10 slate - meaning it's not going to go down a lot for the rest of the year. Teams like LSU are relying on their SEC schedules to enhance their horribly weak OOC slate of games. Kim Mulky should be embarrassed for putting that thing together considering the talent she had coming into the season.

I posted it in regards to the strong SOS not RPI - something that will only get stronger as you enter conference play - which is exactly what we will be doing tonight. A lot teams who have played extremely weak OOC schedules are in the 150-200s. You claim our OOC schedule has been weak yet we are in the 20s with a game against TAMU left and then a full B10 slate - meaning it's not going to go down a lot for the rest of the year. Teams like LSU are relying on their SEC schedules to enhance their horribly weak OOC slate of games. Kim Mulky should be embarrassed for putting that thing together considering the talent she had coming into the season.

Sorry, but you are using flawed data to support a flawed supposition. If you truly feel our SOS is 26 and OSU with a game at UL and home to UTenn is 223 then you really just lack the ability to comprehend what a strong or weak schedule looks like and are dependent on a computer to do the analysis for you even when the data is incomplete and nonsense, which is the position of the creators of the system....... That nice enough Doc?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT