ADVERTISEMENT

Personal stories from last full day in Barcelona

Jul 1, 2016
Well, what a vacation for my wife Kathy! She will never forget getting to know this team personally. There are a few people that she wants to introduce me to when I see her at the gate in Indy. She wants me to meet Spike and talk to him about his Dad's hip surgery coming up soon. I am getting a total knee next Monday. She wants me to meet Tommy Luce, who is a "Deadly assassin", and Cowan who is one of the managers and is the "salt of the Earth". She wants me to meet Morgan and Kate Burke. Kate is a pharmacist, as I am also. Morgan is a genuine gentleman. Of course she wants to introduce me to Coach Painter, as well as Coach Jack Owens and his wife Camila. Jack always made sure to be close to Kathy on stairs because if Kathy's weak knees. Much appreciated! Also Elliot Bloom, the Director of Basketball Operations. He is the go-to guy when anything needed doing. He is just amazing. Also, Kenny Lowe is a GREAT guy! He always made sure Kathy had a seat and they teased each other back-and-forth. Oh, let's not forget Basil. What a gem! I am supposed to tell him that I am disappointed that he did not wear his majestic white slippers home on the plane!!! If you have read my other posts of my wife's trip with the team to Spain, you know she has made friends with Isaac, PJ, Ryan, Spike, Jon, Dakota and really the whole team. These young men are quietly respectful, genuine, polite and each is interesting in his own way. Some are bashful, some are outgoing (think Basil!) but all were a delight to be around and travel with.

Last edited:
Well, what a vacation for my wife Kathy! She will never forget getting to know this team personally. There are a few people that she wants to introduce me to when I see her at the gate in Indy. She wants me to meet Spike and talk to him about his Dad's hip surgery coming up soon. I am getting a total knee next Monday. She wants me to meet Tommy Luce, who is a "Deadly assassin", and Cowan who is one of the managers and is the "salt of the Earth". She wants me to meet Morgan and Kate Burke. Kate is a pharmacist, as I am also. Morgan is a genuine gentleman. Of course she wants to introduce me to Coach Painter, as well as Coach Jack Owens and his wife Camila. Jack always made sure to be close to Kathy on stairs because if Kathy's weak knees. Much appreciated! Also Elliot Bloom, the Director of Basketball Operations. He is the go-to guy when anything needed doing. He is just amazing. Also, Kenny Lowe is a GREAT guy! He always made sure Kathy had a seat and they teased each other back-and-forth. Oh, let's not forget Basil. What a gem! I am supposed to tell him that I am disappointed that he did not wear his majestic white slippers home on the plane!!! If you have read my other posts of my wife's trip with the team to Spain, you know she has made friends with Isaac, PJ, Ryan, Spike, Jon, Dakota and really the whole team. These young men are quietly respectful, genuine, polite and each is interesting in his own way. Some are bashful, some are outgoing (think Basil!) but all were a delight to be around and travel with.
Can't thank you enough for these terrific vignettes you have shared during our team's trip to Spain!

While I can't say I'm surprised by the first-rate people we have representing Purdue University, it is heartening to be reassured that Matt Painter has assembled a model operation of which we can be exceedingly proud. Really looking forward to this season!

Can't thank you enough for these terrific vignettes you have shared during our team's trip to Spain!

While I can't say I'm surprised by the first-rate people we have representing Purdue University, it is heartening to be reassured that Matt Painter has assembled a model operation of which we can be exceedingly proud. Really looking forward to this season!
It has been my pleasure Professor E!

I've really enjoyed these also. It's so nice to hear that not only are the players respectful but so are the coaches and staff. We all want PU to win and get us back to the final 4, but it is really good to know we are trying to do that with quality people.

Often I read nonsensical posts about the coaches or the players where someone has made an unshakeable conclusion about someone's attitude or interest based on a single image shown on the TV during a game. It is really nice to hear about what these folks are really like from someone who spent real time with them, and got to know the team. Thanks for the strong dose of reality!

:cool:

There are many good people playing basketball, but obviously a few fall short. It is no accident that Matt has this quality of individual since I'm sure THAT became weighted even higher recently in recruiting. I really appreciate the quality of character on this team. As anecdotal evidence 1070 AM says that maybe Haas is the best interviewer ever...they love him!

BTW...it is much easier to play uptempo and get the assists up day in and day out, but the lack of selfish play on the court for this team may be the result of the players approach to life outside the court. I've always thought that all good teams need to be good passing teams at least as a strong rule of thumb. Being a good passing team takes pride in making the "effort" to ensure the person about to get the ball gets it the right time and location. If a person has no struggles with the ball and is late...that person may be thinking scoring first...which is always at play as well as understanding that 4 other players don't have the ball. I look for a nice year, if Purdue contains the dribble and doesn't foul. Lastly, Spike hasn't received the attention of Carsen who has been really good, but Spike REALLY has good court awareness and although not as athletic..his court savvy will be valuable at times...

I for one have definitely give Carsen a lot more love than Spike. That said, I am really happy Spike is on the team. I can remember thinking more than once, while watching Michigan play over the past few years, that if we had a Spike on our team, we'd have that piece we were sorely needing. I hope Carsen and PJ learn a lot from Spike and that we see all three of them play good minutes. It looks like PJ is shooting the 3 remarkably well in Spain. Let's hope he keeps that up too.

Reactions: Professor Emeritus
I for one have definitely give Carsen a lot more love than Spike. That said, I am really happy Spike is on the team. I can remember thinking more than once, while watching Michigan play over the past few years, that if we had a Spike on our team, we'd have that piece we were sorely needing. I hope Carsen and PJ learn a lot from Spike and that we see all three of them play good minutes. It looks like PJ is shooting the 3 remarkably well in Spain. Let's hope he keeps that up too.
don't get me wrong...I've been looking forward to Carsen since he committed. However, the stats don't blow you away with Spike, but he has good court awareness. I'm glad he is on the team. PJ has been shooting well and between teh three of them with dakota and vince Purdue can field a good ball handling team

Reactions: punaj
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT