ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State Game

Russ Ford

True Freshman
Mar 24, 2018
Purdue down 41-33 at the half. Terry with 3 fouls and Petree with 2 sat most of the 2nd quarter. Penn State seems quicker to the boards and loose balls so far. Purdue's turnover bug has returned also. I kind of feel Purdue is lucky just to be down 8. Hopefully they get a wakeup call in the locker room and come out and compete a little harder in the 2nd half.

Reactions: DocRon
57-45 Penn State 4:03 left in the 3rd. More of the same....Penn State is just more athletic and quicker to the ball.

Listening to the radio broadcast - sounds awful. Sloppy play, turnovers, careless with the ball, lack of focus…Tim Newton has described CKG as “furious” a couple times. Thing is, the team is better than this - my gosh, they’ve reverted to 2020 type play today. 60-49 at end of 3Q

Listening to the radio broadcast - sounds awful. Sloppy play, turnovers, careless with the ball, lack of focus…Tim Newton has described CKG as “furious” a couple times. Thing is, the team is better than this - my gosh, they’ve reverted to 2020 type play today. 60-49 at end of 3Q
Coach Gearlds has definitely showed some frustration with the bad passes. Lol.

62-55 Penn State with 6:21 left. Harper, Smith and Learn have done a lot of the scoring.

In post-game radio interview Coach Gearlds was definitely pissed. Said “I guess that is on me that they did not follow the game plan.” Classical “I’ll take the blame but it was really on them.”

She closed out by saying “They wanted it more than we did” which basically is saying that we did not play hard enough to win. I don’t blame her for being upset.

Then
In post-game radio interview Coach Gearlds was definitely pissed. Said “I guess that is on me that they did not follow the game plan.” Classical “I’ll take the blame but it was really on them.”

She closed out by saying “They wanted it more than we did” which basically is saying that we did not play hard enough to win. I don’t blame her for being upset.

Have to feel a little bad for frosh Stoddard. Subbed in for the last 3-4 secs of 1st half as PSU was inbounding under Purdue’s basket. She was to guard against a full court pass but lost track of a PSU player in the corner who caught the full court pass and sunk a jumper.

Lesson learned I guess.

Then change out players until you find 5 that will...... If you kept the same players out there that did not follow the game plan, then that is on the coach, not all the players faults!!

Have to feel a little bad for frosh Stoddard. Subbed in for the last 3-4 secs of 1st half as PSU was inbounding under Purdue’s basket. She was to guard against a full court pass but lost track of a PSU player in the corner who caught the full court pass and sunk a jumper.

Lesson learned I guess.

I would like to see the Freshman start getting a few meaningful minutes. Maybe they'll surprise and make some positive contributions.

I did feel bad for her.....finally get on the court.....blow your assignment and give up a bucket. I'm sure she'll replay that in her mind until she gets another chance.

I would like to see the Freshman start getting a few meaningful minutes. Maybe they'll surprise and make some positive contributions.
Zero sum game, who do you want them to take minutes from? We already know Hardin's minutes are not changing much, Ellis and Layden lost minutes already for Smith.... We cannot survive long with Terry off the floor, so that means for Potts to get minutes they have to come from Petree or you don't play Ellis or Layden at all that game. The only real option to get Stoddard minutes is to not play Learn or Woltman, which Rickie is hardly playing anymore anyway so to get Stoddard meaningful time, you have to short both Woltman and Learn..

Reactions: HoopDad317

Lesson learned I guess.
Zero sum game, who do you want them to take minutes from? We already know Hardin's minutes are not changing much, Ellis and Layden lost minutes already for Smith.... We cannot survive long with Terry off the floor, so that means for Potts to get minutes they have to come from Petree or you don't play Ellis or Layden at all that game. The only real option to get Stoddard minutes is to not play Learn or Woltman, which Rickie is hardly playing anymore anyway so to get Stoddard meaningful time, you have to short both Woltman and Learn..
Learn has been consistent and shows up every game. She deserves more time. If Woltman, who Stoddard goes up against in practice, can’t even get more minutes, then how would she? Stoddard seems like a nice kid but she isn’t near ready to play in my opinion. Needs time to get quicker and stronger.

Sounds a lot like Versyp's excuse for so many losses, "we had a good game plan, but they didn't follow it"

Then change out players until you find 5 that will...... If you kept the same players out there that did not follow the game plan, then that is on the coach, not all the players faults!!
Posted elsewhere but want to make sure this gets seen, props to KG for doing something Versyp never did when throwing the team under the bus... She backed it up with lineup changes for the next game. That makes her a lot more believable that there were players not following the game plan and not just whipping out Versyp's blamethrower to deflect criticism from the coaches.

Last edited:
Reactions: DocRon
ADVERTISEMENT