ADVERTISEMENT

Paul Chryst Fired

I don't pay much attention to Wisconsin, honestly don't pay much attention to recruiting at all anymore because guys change their mind so freaking much, but I've heard rumblings of wanting a little more offensive fire power as there are always games where you do have to put points on the board to win and they can't take that next step just focusing ground and pound. They've been at their current level for a long time now and I think they want to take that next step where they are entering the BCS playoff talks.
even Bret B realizes that, he got a young really good DC then hired a new OC for this year to make their O more diverse

With all of the coaches getting fired, I would think guys like Leipold from Kansas would be inclined to stay were he's at for awhile. A lot of careers have been ruined by taking high profile gigs where the fan bases have unrealistic expectations.

When teams have some success at places that aren't accustomed to success they are given a much longer leash. Brohm is .500 at Purdue and if he were fired the fan base would burn down the stadium. Fitzgerald's winning percentage is 54% and he's had back to back terrible teams. Allen is 29-34 in 6 years. I don't think any of these guys are on the chopping block.

Firing reminds me of the Bo Pelini firing at Nebraska. Similar winning percentages. Hope things work out as well at Wisconsin as they did at Nebraska since Pelini's firing.
over the weekend, Mark Pelini, Bo's nephew was killed in a car crash

• Sad
Reactions: BSIT
He had a decent QB a couple years ago. But he allowed him to leave via the portal so his greatest QB recruit in the history of uw qb recruits could start! And that QB has been aweful since day 1 . QB Mertz killed this team! And coach chryst put all his eggs in the wrong basket by playing him. As long as Mertz is qb, uw will be bad.

Reactions: TX4GB
A lot depends on the school and their previous history. Auburn’s coach lost to PSU and the rumors started he was going to be fired!

if Brohm was at Auburn, He would have been fired long ago. But at Purdue he gets an extension for going to a mediocre bowl game!

I am surprised Chryst would agree to such a reduced settlement, unless the $11M lump sum paid in 2023 equates to close to the $20M across the years left in his contract.

It could be that or possibly something else thrown in there like deferred or other bonus payments - like you, I can't see Chryst just walking away from that kind of economic value he's otherwise earned or entitled to.

even Bret B realizes that, he got a young really good DC then hired a new OC for this year to make their O more diverse
A lot of people that made fun of Bielema and how bad the program at Illinois was...has not taken him long to change things there...quality staff it seems, and, team is much improved as well. He beat Wisconsin at its own game on Saturday, and, no doubt enjoyed doing so in Madison.

At least Nebraska had legit blue blood history they were comparing it to at the time. Wisconsin has been really good for a while now, but never far away from being a 3-5 loss team most years. Nowhere near OSU level on a consistent basis.
Wisconsin has 10 seasons with 10 wins or more since 2005. Chryst won 10 games 4 times in his 6 full seasons. Was 13 and 1 in 2017 and won the Orange Bowl.

Nebraska had won 10 games once in the six years prior to Pelini's arrival and haven't won 10 games since. His worst record in 6 years was 9-4.

Purdue has 1 ten win season in its history.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAG10
This is basically like if Purdue had fired Painter in the middle of the 2012-13 season

Reactions: DAG10
Wisconsin has 10 seasons with 10 wins or more since 2005. Chryst won 10 games 4 times in his 6 full seasons. Was 13 and 1 in 2017 and won the Orange Bowl.

Nebraska had won 10 games once in the six years prior to Pelini's arrival and haven't won 10 games since. His worst record in 6 years was 9-4.

And the Purdue coach that won 10 games quit. They should build him a statue.

If you look at W/L %, program definitely trending down the last 3 seasons versus his first 5 years.

Is that Paul Chryst's fault, or UW's fault?

Like say, the mere fact that UW thinks that it is some sort of nationally relevant program or some power program is why this happened, and, why I hope that they fail moving forward. They basically are Nebraska a decade or so later, and, may be them moving forward...which, they almost deserve given how they handled this situation.

Is that Paul Chryst's fault, or UW's fault?

Like say, the mere fact that UW thinks that it is some sort of nationally relevant program or some power program is why this happened, and, why I hope that they fail moving forward. They basically are Nebraska a decade or so later, and, may be them moving forward...which, they almost deserve given how they handled this situation.
My first thought was: is the Haze involved somehow?

ADVERTISEMENT