ADVERTISEMENT

Parkinson to Butler

There was no way that the powers at be in the Purdue AD would choose an alum from the men's program to lead the women's.

There was no way that the powers at be in the Purdue AD would choose an alum from the men's program to lead the women's.
I'm not sure why everyone's mind went to us hiring CKG instead of him. He's a coach that took an in-state mid major to the tournament last season and is jumping to a higher level program still within the state. Even if he weren't a former player with us, and God forbid also male, this is relevant news from a recruiting standpoint. This kind of bigoted thinking sickens me.

My mind did not directly go there, actually. I think it's great that a former Boilermaker is getting a chance to take his career to the next level as I think it's extremely well earned. It's going to be further competition for us because I feel the Big East is becoming extremely competitive in the women's game and Butler is a sleeping giant with it's proximity to Indy, I wouldn't be surprised if we see Kyle end up there, actually. I was just replying to the poster that implied he would've been good for us, and he would've, but I had to point out the obvious reason he wasn't chosen.

If you flash back to this time last year, and did a blind comparison (i.e. no name) to KG and Parkinson's resumes, 9 (or maybe 10) out of 10 would've chosen Parkinson's resume to be the next leader of this program. He was a Purdue alum and had much more D1 experience and success and that's simply a fact. But obviously much more nuanced reasons go into picking the next head coach of a program and other factors are considered and the fact that 1 is a former player of the women's program and the other isn't was a huge factor for the administration, as it is with all ADs. And i'm not saying that's for the better or worse, but there's a reason why you very rarely seen a former player of a men's program lead the women's. At least, I've never seen a situation like that, but if anyone can give situations that are similar, I'd love to hear of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: DocRon
Oh I agree that the mindset exists unfortunately. I'm just foolish enough to think they should hire whoever is best suited to succeed no matter gender, race, orientation or any of that. Somehow in the past ten years our society has taken a huge step backwards.

ADVERTISEMENT