ADVERTISEMENT

Painter's Post-game Comments

Yeah, I tend to agree. Just watched the post-game stuff and then some replays of the final 30 seconds. We got robbed. Painter is absolutely right. If that bogus goal-tend isn't called by Teddy, we get the ball back in transition with a chance to tie or win.

Yeah, I tend to agree. Just watched the post-game stuff and then some replays of the final 30 seconds. We got robbed. Painter is absolutely right. If that bogus goal-tend isn't called by Teddy, we get the ball back in transition with a chance to tie or win.
Yep, Larry Clisby confirmed it was a bad call because Hammons didn't do anything but clip the ball after scraping the rim with his hand and making the rim bounce a bit which does not constitute goal-tending, larry clisby looked it up in some book.

Yep, Larry Clisby confirmed it was a bad call because Hammons didn't do anything but clip the ball after scraping the rim with his hand and making the rim bounce a bit which does not constitute goal-tending, larry clisby looked it up in some book.

It may have been the wrong call but Clisby probably looked it up in The Purdue Homer Guide that he keeps with him for reference every broadcast. I put no faith in anything that clown says.

As an IU fan I was impressed that Painter called out his big men for lack of effort in covering the screen roll. PU also shot the three in the last 5 minutes better than any time all year. 35% from 3 for the season isn't very good with the amount of open shots they get from the big men inside. PU lacks a guard who can penetrate into the lane and pass back to Cline or Mathias for an open shot or penetrate and get to the rim and dump to a big. You have to be able to make some 3's in CBB now.

If I am coaching and we go 1 for 10 at the 3 point line, I call time out and tell the guys not to shoot another 3 point shot until we score a dozen inside points. After a bad streak like that you have to shoot 85% to break even.

Reactions: DICKSTER
If I am coaching and we go 1 for 10 at the 3 point line, I call time out and tell the guys not to shoot another 3 point shot until we score a dozen inside points. After a bad streak like that you have to shoot 85% to break even.
I think its reasoning like this that makes our offense so stagnant. We become too post-focussed and infinitely easier to defend against. Other than trying to stomp out a few egregiously bad 3s, I won't recommend us to stop shooting just because it's not going down.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
To me a good shot is a good shot regardless of the shot clock, you pass up good shots 3 things happen, 1 you do get a better shot, 2 you turn it over, 3 you throw up a wild shot at end of shot clock, I wish Purdue played with all 5 players looking for a shot the whole shot clock, except in when circumstances dictate different

Last edited:
Reactions: spradecki
He was upset with the goal-tending call, but REALLY upset that we missed so many 3 opportunities in the first half.

Among a few things, I was upset that after Dakota Mathias hit a clutch 3PT to make it 75-73, CMP instructed his players to defend all the way to the end of the shot-clock (leaving 6 seconds or so on the game clock) without fouling. How many times have you seen a Keady or Painter-coached team win a game when they're down 2 with 6 seconds to play in regulation? It hasn't happened often (please don't post the Jim Rowinski vs. Illinois youtube link from 1983). Once the game clock gets down to 30 seconds, foul if you can't turn them over.

Alright, beat Maryland!

It was 9 seconds.
That was the right call by far. You start fouling and you turn a game that's within reach t oone that isn't. Say you foul, they then go up 3 or 4. You try for a quick 2 and miss and foul again. Game is over.

8/9 seconds with a time-out is enough time to get a decent 2pt attempt to tie the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: purdue4sure and BBG
Simple stuff here really.....we are a top 20 team and top 4 team in Big Ten when we play with aggression and passion...when we don't we are middle of the pack in any league.....

If they can play with passion and play hard we can win these last 3 and go on to do some good things in BTT and beyond.

Either way if Purdue makes the Big Dance...I would hate to play us....

Boiler Up!

Reactions: BBG and WarBoiler44
Simple stuff here really.....we are a top 20 team and top 4 team in Big Ten when we play with aggression and passion...when we don't we are middle of the pack in any league.....

If they can play with passion and play hard we can win these last 3 and go on to do some good things in BTT and beyond.

Either way if Purdue makes the Big Dance...I would hate to play us....

Boiler Up!

The problem I have with your statement is that Purdue HASN'T played with passion and aggression all season for a complete game. Purdue, this season, is exactly who they are at this point. A team that can't close and plays with little to no aggression to them. I believe this team has taken on the personality of its' best player...AJ Hammons. Think about that for a second and reflect. Hammons, at times can be focused and aggressive...but either loses it for stretches or doesn't show up. Purdue, this season, can't close.

Reactions: DG10
That was the right call by far. You start fouling and you turn a game that's within reach t oone that isn't. Say you foul, they then go up 3 or 4. You try for a quick 2 and miss and foul again. Game is over.

8/9 seconds with a time-out is enough time to get a decent 2pt attempt to tie the game.

Or, if they foul one of IU's lesser-skilled FT shooters in that timespan and that player makes only one of two (say he misses the second one, for an example), Purdue could come down and Hammons could get fouled shooting a turn-around and make the FT or Edwards or Mathias could make a 3PT and then it would be tied at 76. You can play it either way from Purdue's perspective but I just think that wasting time in the hopes that you'll get a stop AND get a basket in that short amount of time is the less logical choice of the two strategies.

Or, if they foul one of IU's lesser-skilled FT shooters in that timespan and that player makes only one of two (say he misses the second one, for an example), Purdue could come down and Hammons could get fouled shooting a turn-around and make the FT or Edwards or Mathias could make a 3PT and then it would be tied at 76. You can play it either way from Purdue's perspective but I just think that wasting time in the hopes that you'll get a stop AND get a basket in that short amount of time is the less logical choice of the two strategies.
no matter who you foul, there is a pretty good chance, the person makes at least 1 of 2. So now we are down 3 with only one full shot clock to work with. Meh I will take my chance trying to close a 2 point gap with less time than trying to close a 3 or 4 point gap with slightly more time.

I agree. I was hoping Painter wasn't going to foul, especially as hot as we were from 3. The issue was PJ letting Yogi turn the corner on him.

I agree. I was hoping Painter wasn't going to foul, especially as hot as we were from 3. The issue was PJ letting Yogi turn the corner on him.

We all know that Ferrell is quicker than Thompson, so why have Thompson guard him in man D like that in that kind of situation? Most people know that he's option #1 for IU in end-of-game situations, so that's basically playing right into their hands with the hope that help D will save the possession.

Reactions: DG10
We all know that Ferrell is quicker than Thompson, so why have Thompson guard him in man D like that in that kind of situation? Most people know that he's option #1 for IU in end-of-game situations, so that's basically playing right into their hands with the hope that help D will save the possession.

Yogi is quicker than everyone on Purdue's team.

Now what?

Don't forget PJ's key steal from Yogi at the end of the game. Everyone did indeed know that Yogi would have the ball at the end, including Coach Painter. What everyone didn't know was that the refs would reward Yogi a basket even though it was blocked.

Yogi is quicker than everyone on Purdue's team.

Now what?

Don't forget PJ's key steal from Yogi at the end of the game. Everyone did indeed know that Yogi would have the ball at the end, including Coach Painter. What everyone didn't know was that the refs would reward Yogi a basket even though it was blocked.

I'm saying that P.J. doesn't need to be on him that tight on the perimeter. P.J. doesn't even have to be the one guarding him: Hill or Davis could cover Ferrell just as well (IMO). Or they could get creative and double-team trap him before the IU offense gets set up to spread it out and isolate his man on him. Do something different instead of just playing into their hands. CMP is a very frustrating coach to watch from an in-game perspective.

The problem I have with your statement is that Purdue HASN'T played with passion and aggression all season for a complete game. Purdue, this season, is exactly who they are at this point. A team that can't close and plays with little to no aggression to them. I believe this team has taken on the personality of its' best player...AJ Hammons. Think about that for a second and reflect. Hammons, at times can be focused and aggressive...but either loses it for stretches or doesn't show up. Purdue, this season, can't close.

I can agree with that. Play to the level of your best player. I am curious where he projects as a pro. I can see a long career on a pro roster as he is 7' tall.

I'm saying that P.J. doesn't need to be on him that tight on the perimeter. P.J. doesn't even have to be the one guarding him: Hill or Davis could cover Ferrell just as well (IMO). Or they could get creative and double-team trap him before the IU offense gets set up to spread it out and isolate his man on him. Do something different instead of just playing into their hands. CMP is a very frustrating coach to watch from an in-game perspective.
I know what yo are saying, but I think the strategy was to guard him tight, force him to drive to the basket where our best player could block his shot. If you guard him loose, he would have dropped a 3-pt shot on us and then it is all over. At least by forcing him to drive, IU gets no more than 2 points. The strategy worked, except for Mr. Valintine's error.

:cool:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT