ADVERTISEMENT

Painter top ten coach according to The Athletic

Listed as second tier, #9 to 18 in no particular order. Listed in follow up questions as one of the most likely to move up to the next (first) tier.

Not bad for a guy who’s on the way out if he doesn’t make a Final Four in the next few years.

Link - Athletic article (pay)
Coach Painter isn't going anywhere until he decides to move on himself.

Listed as second tier, #9 to 18 in no particular order. Listed in follow up questions as one of the most likely to move up to the next (first) tier.

Not bad for a guy who’s on the way out if he doesn’t make a Final Four in the next few years.

Link - Athletic article (pay)
Purdue is the school and name on the front of the jersey.

As long as there is no cheating involved, makes no difference who coaches Purdue

to its next Final Four.

Reactions: johnboiler123
Purdue is the school and name on the front of the jersey.

As long as there is no cheating involved, makes no difference who coaches Purdue

to its next Final Four.
I don't understand what you're saying. Are you trying to say that head coach is not a factor in performance?

I don't understand what you're saying. Are you trying to say that head coach is not a factor in performance?
Making the Final Four and competing for the National Championship is all that matters

as long as no cheating is involved.

Whatever coach can do that for Purdue, I am in full support of.

Not true, according to some fans who believe that Purdue deserves a Final Four.
I think it will take some major dollars wanting him gone. Too many knowledgeable basketball people across the country that thinks he is very good and if the money is not there pushing him out...it would be hard for an A.D. without the money to psuh him out I believe.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and BBG
I think it will take some major dollars wanting him gone. Too many knowledgeable basketball people across the country that thinks he is very good and if the money is not there pushing him out...it would be hard for an A.D. without the money to psuh him out I believe.
I'm being a pain in the ass in saying he's gone if he doesn't make a FF (my normal operating mode ;) ). So long as he continues to perform at or near the level he has the last eight years he'll stay as long as he wants.

Reactions: Purdue85
Bullshit. St. Peter’s outcoached and outplayed Purdue. That loss is on Painter.
I was thinking Purdue VB and WBB will get to a F4 before a CMP team. I even think Brohm will get us to the BT championship game before CMP. I’ll even go out on a limb and say Brohm will get us to the expanded FB playoffs before CMP would get us into the NCAA championship game

Reactions: rapapathanasiou
My wife thought Ivey threw the game. I didn’t but attributed it to another CMP choke
Ivey had a bad game, plain and simple, which isn't Painter's fault. Also when your lottery pick guard is having a bad game the other guards needed to step up and fill the hole. They were capable of scoring but crapped the bed and made things worse. I don't blame Ivey or Painter but the fault falls on the other guards.

Last edited:
I was thinking Purdue VB and WBB will get to a F4 before a CMP team. I even think Brohm will get us to the BT championship game before CMP. I’ll even go out on a limb and say Brohm will get us to the expanded FB playoffs before CMP would get us into the NCAA championship game
How is an BT West division title or appearance in an expanded playoff equivalent to a FF?

Ivey had a bad game, plain and simple, which isn't Painter's fault. Also when your lottery pick guard is having a bad game the other guards needed to step up and fill the hole. They were capable of scoring but crapped the bed and made things worse. I don't blame Ivey or Painter but the fault falls on the other guards.
I know what you’re saying but CMP is responsible for developing the game plan not the players. If they don’t execute in game adjustments need to be made

I know what you’re saying but CMP is responsible for developing the game plan not the players. If they don’t execute in game adjustments need to be made
Like what, Yanking Ivey, or in past years benching ALL our guards. Again our guards' performances in these losses have been beyond atrocious.

Reactions: BBG
Like what, Yanking Ivey, or in past years benching ALL our guards. Again our guards' performances in these losses have been beyond atrocious.
I agree with you that guard play is the key to winning in March and CMP has made improvements over Keady in placing an importance on guards but at the end of the day the Buck stops with him. Who’s fault is it if he has the wrong player rotations on the floor and can’t make in game adjustments? CMP is a big boy but needs to convince me he is ready to play big time. I was encouraged at the start of the season with wins against NC and Nova but disappointed yet again with an epic loss.

Final Fours are harder then they look! We have a great coach with a great culture. Enjoy the ride!
For whatever reason Keady and CMP never matched their regular season performance into March with very few exceptions. It’s no coincidence that we have stunk in the BTT with a winning percentage under 500 and only 1 title in the history. Whereas IZ has won 6 and been to multiple F4’s. To me this is the ultimate proof our coaching philosophy needs to improve during tournament time.

ADVERTISEMENT