ADVERTISEMENT

Painter on Dakich today = must listen - lots of recruiting info (link)

Lets be real clear about this Stuart Dunnings stuff that MSU fans hide behind the fact he went to the University of Michigan Law School and thus would be a Michigan fan. What this guy doesn't say is that Dunnings grew up in East Lansing, the son of a long time Lawyer and rumored to be a political fixer in the State Capital. His undergraduate is from Amhearst so his sports connection to UM is about as tenable as you can get. Except for his undergrad years and law school this guy has lived in East Lansing his whole life. Nice try on that one but I'm not buying he isn't a MSU fan at heart.

Once again the MSU Political Correctness Patrol rides to the rescue. Thank God they arrived just in time to make sure we are thinking correctly . Did they leave behind a silver bullet? ..wait this bullet smells funny! Oh no, it's a used suppository. Ugh!

:cool:

The fact that coaches talk doesn't make them buddies. Gene and Bobby were always pretty cordial but the truth is both were highly competitive and didn't really like each other.
I seem to remember them being fishing buddies in the off season. Try again.

I finally listed to the interview, and I was very impressed with the insights Coach Painter provided on a couple things...
- Hill & Octeus & the broader "immediately eligible transfer" topic including jucos and 5th year grads. He prefers 5th years because of the proven maturity (they had the discipline to earn a degree - no small feat as a D1 basketball player). Painter said he just the day before got to see Hill play in person for the first time, and it seems pretty clear Painter is still a long way from understanding how big a role he can play, though like I said he is counting on his maturity, discipline, and experience.
- The vagaries of teenage high school player decision making contributing to good and bad luck in recruiting. How we got Isaac even after Painter recommended Isaac honor his commitment to Wake. The humorous reason Isaac signed up for Wake in the first place. How the whole Biggie thing played out so strangely, with the three coaches most in play just totally in the dark about Caleb's decision-making. I thought it was so smart that Painter just kept stressing the opportunity for Caleb to play PF with two 7-footers, and this was the rationale that won out in the end, though there were pulls toward the proven top tier coach/program (Izzo/MSU) and toward known teammates (Cal). And also how we've been on the losing side of teenage decision-making as well.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
The Red Cedar Message Board is the greatest comedy on the internet. The levels of delusion there are great. Between the accusations of Painter paying Swanigan and the notion that Izzo should land anyone he offers I couldn't stop laughing.

By the way, Appling and Payne should be in a jail cell somewhere right now. I don't really care about who did what behind the scenes in recruiting but the fact that they weren't prosecuted is an embarrassment to the MSU basketball program on the same level Prince Shembo is to Notre Dame football.

No. Just no. Prince Shembo had behavior issues in high school, had the Lizzie Seeburg incident, and then just pretty much ended his professional football career because he killed a dog.

Did Appling and Payne (in their first few weeks of being freshmen on campus) make bad choices that night? Probably. Bad enough to get them in jail or thrown out of school? Apparently, not (even if the complainant eventually got the DOJ involved.) Is there a pattern here of anger and/or persistent sexual abuse? Not even close. So give it up. You're just a butt hurt Boilerwhiner who still can't get over Gary Harris's decision to play ofr a real basketball program and not a second-tier also-ran program, so enjoy another 4-8 football season and another one-and-done-in-the-big dance basketball season because you've got a Big Ten caliber front line and a Horizon Conference caliber backcourt.

"Whiner Up!" "Toot Toot!" "Whiner Up!" "Toot Toot!" "Whiner Up!" "Toot Toot!"

Great to have the info, but I was surprised Matt shared as much as he did. I wonder if the Haas and Biggie camps would want all that info out in the open.

No. Just no. Prince Shembo had behavior issues in high school, had the Lizzie Seeburg incident, and then just pretty much ended his professional football career because he killed a dog.

Did Appling and Payne (in their first few weeks of being freshmen on campus) make bad choices that night? Probably. Bad enough to get them in jail or thrown out of school? Apparently, not (even if the complainant eventually got the DOJ involved.) Is there a pattern here of anger and/or persistent sexual abuse? Not even close. So give it up. You're just a butt hurt Boilerwhiner who still can't get over Gary Harris's decision to play ofr a real basketball program and not a second-tier also-ran program, so enjoy another 4-8 football season and another one-and-done-in-the-big dance basketball season because you've got a Big Ten caliber front line and a Horizon Conference caliber backcourt.

LOL! This was written by an MSU fan on the Purdue board after his team lost a big time recruit to the Boilers. Whiner up indeed.

Great to have the info, but I was surprised Matt shared as much as he did. I wonder if the Haas and Biggie camps would want all that info out in the open.

Painter seems to be an open book, but I think that makes him easier to read and more trustworthy in many ways.

In both business and politics, it does seem there's a trend to emphasize transparency. Over the past 5-10 years I've observed increased resentment within trade organizations in my industry (software development) toward old-school "puppeteer" leaders who play their cards tight and only hand out information on a "need to know" basis. I suspect this shift stems from the youngest generation of adults who are used to having more information available, and/or the success of companies in silicon valley that take a non-traditional mindset to management.

Back to Painter - this benefits him because he is developing the reputation of somebody who lays it out and doesn't leave players wondering about his motives. The opposite approach breeds resentment if recruits had to discover on their own that their intended role differs from what they were led to believe (thankfully that's not Painter's style). He might be ahead of the curve - I predict we see this as a trend over the coming decade or so.

Last edited:

LOL so your defense is they aren't AS BAD as Shembo? Congrats. My point, which you completely didn't get, was that both should have been prosecuted but were protected. Disgusting for both ND and MSU.

Are you trolling your own trolls?
If you really want to become disappointed in the human race, go read the MSU Red Cedar message board. It varies between vile statements about other schools, incredible arrogance, and a stunning lack of knowledge about the sport of basketball. One of them even posted their latest recruit info on Peegs, even though nobody was interested or asked. As far as I can tell, the new MSU kid was not a target of IU. I was over on Red Cedar because these MSU clown are cluttering all the other boards with their posts. Now I feel like I need a shower.

:cool:

It is actually because this is a joke of a board - it is entertainment (at least for me). Even Purdue fans on the main board have told me to not take anything over here seriously. It is honestly a given that anytime MSU gets brought up around here, within the first 10 posts there will be someone saying Izzo is dirty. Guaranteed.

One guy calls Izzo "slimy" and his proof is that he was suspended. If one would actually do some research, you would find that Izzo had to sit a game because during the summer, at a basketball camp for young kids, a person who worked the camp (and was paid the same rate as everyone else at the camp) did not disclose on their application that they had a previous relationship with a potential recruit.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5931058

Or you could twist the "62% of MSU athletes don't get prosecuted" to make it look like they have an unfair advantage when compared to the general student population, like Heller brought up. If one did even 10 minutes of research, you would come to find that the Prosecutor in EL is actually a University of Michigan graduate, Stuart Dunnings. But I bet he just has a soft spot for MSU athletes...

To go further, a simple google search would provide links such as these, showing the complete opposite of Izzo being "slimy"

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c.../tom-izzo-michigan-state-recruiting/24709699/

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...at-coach-would-you-choose-to-run-your-program

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=5398415

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basket...elations-from-ESPN-s-coachin?urn=ncaab-257791

But sure, Izzo is "slimy" because MSU (not Izzo himself) hired a guy for $475 for a week's worth of work, to chaperone middle-school kids at a summer basketball camp.

Or maybe this all rolls back to the Dawson recruitment, of which it was considered "dirty" because supposedly a guy associated with AAU that posts on Peegs, said it was dirty. OK.

With all that said, I doubt anyone will actually read any of the links provided. I also doubt it will change anyone around here's mind, but... it is what it is.

Isn't this post hilarious now?

A MSU fan acting self righteous about Izzo three years ago acting like Purdue fans were crazy to suggest Izzo was slimy.

It's since came out this year in an ESPN Outside The Lines report that Izzo and MSU have covered up multiole sexual assaults by basketball players without even suspending them a single game while Miles Bridges Mom got paid.

Yes. They are called Appling and Payne.

It's crazy how correct you are about people's character. First, Marve.

Now, Payne and Appling.

Remind me to never doubt you again.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...8/1/26/16938074/michigan-state-sexual-assault

From the Ringer article I linked:

According to the ESPN report, a student said that in 2010, incoming basketball players Keith Appling and Adreian Payne cornered her in their dorm room and raped her. She told police that Appling removed her underwear, and that the two men took her to the ground and penetrated her vaginally, orally, and anally, during which time she repeatedly told them to stop. A police report obtained by Outside the Lines revealed that Payne told police he could “understand how she would feel that she was not free to leave.” Appling did not speak with the police, but told Outside the Lines that the interaction was consensual.

Reactions: TC4THREE
Wow. Must be bored to bump a 3 year old article

Was trying to find the thread that had a link to Dakich having Painter on his show recently discussing recruiting.

Searched Dakich recruiting for titles only and this thread popped up. Once I started skimming, I couldn't stop.

Too much hilarity. Too much gold.

Reactions: mathboy
Painter is a happy, positive person that is aggressively trying to get better. Those type of people just do not hold on to grudges and animosity. A lot of people would be happier and have a more powerful life if they follow that example

This is not me.....
Not sure why someone would want to use my name and post as me??

It is actually because this is a joke of a board - it is entertainment (at least for me). Even Purdue fans on the main board have told me to not take anything over here seriously. It is honestly a given that anytime MSU gets brought up around here, within the first 10 posts there will be someone saying Izzo is dirty. Guaranteed.

One guy calls Izzo "slimy" and his proof is that he was suspended. If one would actually do some research, you would find that Izzo had to sit a game because during the summer, at a basketball camp for young kids, a person who worked the camp (and was paid the same rate as everyone else at the camp) did not disclose on their application that they had a previous relationship with a potential recruit.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5931058

Or you could twist the "62% of MSU athletes don't get prosecuted" to make it look like they have an unfair advantage when compared to the general student population, like Heller brought up. If one did even 10 minutes of research, you would come to find that the Prosecutor in EL is actually a University of Michigan graduate, Stuart Dunnings. But I bet he just has a soft spot for MSU athletes...

To go further, a simple google search would provide links such as these, showing the complete opposite of Izzo being "slimy"

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c.../tom-izzo-michigan-state-recruiting/24709699/

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...at-coach-would-you-choose-to-run-your-program

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=5398415

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basket...elations-from-ESPN-s-coachin?urn=ncaab-257791

But sure, Izzo is "slimy" because MSU (not Izzo himself) hired a guy for $475 for a week's worth of work, to chaperone middle-school kids at a summer basketball camp.

Or maybe this all rolls back to the Dawson recruitment, of which it was considered "dirty" because supposedly a guy associated with AAU that posts on Peegs, said it was dirty. OK.

With all that said, I doubt anyone will actually read any of the links provided. I also doubt it will change anyone around here's mind, but... it is what it is.
cry more

There are 2 fan bases that think Izzo is dirty: Purdue and UM.

Question: How do I turn off the notifications that people are replying to this thread? I get an email every time someone replies, and I cannot resist the urge to return.

Please tell me you don't troll every other NCAA team board.

Reactions: Mgkcbb
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT