ADVERTISEMENT

Ouch...Deen

It surprises me that he’d rather enter the portal and play another year of college ball rather than enter the nfl draft.

I remember another Purdue dt who was projected as a top 1-3 round pick but wanted to play another year at Purdue and became injured and threw his chances of playing in the nfl out the window.

I’m not sure an nfl team will have much interest in a player who has spent 6 years in college!

Surprised by the timing but not surprised with how the extra Covid year is being used now. Never thought Eric Hunter jr. would of used his extra year anywhere else but Purdue.

He's been here 5 years and I assume graduated. Good for him.

Also, doesn't Walters prefer bigger dudes essentially clogging up the middle?

We better be hitting the transfer portal, because we don’t have 310-325 DTs that have been playing much.
Not disagreeing on hitting the portal, but Brevard, Boyd, Lewis (was hurt this year, but did play a lot the previous year and was pretty good) are all above 3 huns.

EDIT: Looking at the roster per espn, looks like Boyd is lighter than I thought at only 290.

Last edited:
I suspect this is NIL motivated. Might be a better financial move than going undrafted.
I’d agree that he sees it this way too.

Issue is, nobody is going to pay you big bucks to go play there if you aren’t NFL projectable. Catch 22.

If he lands somewhere, I’d likely say it’s a lateral move for a few guaranteed bucks. If that’s how you wanna go out, that’s your choice and you’re now free to make it!

Is there really big NIL $$$ just being thrown at undersized all big ten honorable mention guys? Seems like camps, autographs, public appearances would be it and he'd seemingly be able to do that at Purdue better than anywhere else due to he's at least known at Purdue.

No inside info, but I think this is probably more about how he sees Walters using him more than anything else.

Is there really big NIL $$$ just being thrown at undersized all big ten honorable mention guys? Seems like camps, autographs, public appearances would be it and he'd seemingly be able to do that at Purdue better than anywhere else due to he's at least known at Purdue.

No inside info, but I think this is probably more about how he sees Walters using him more than anything else.
And maybe Walters told him to kick rocks. We’ll never know.

Agree with what you’re saying tho…outside of some pocket change I don’t think there will be big offers rolling in for his services.

And maybe Walters told him to kick rocks. We’ll never know.

Agree with what you’re saying tho…outside of some pocket change I don’t think there will be big offers rolling in for his services.
He’s playing in the bowl. Bit of a surprise.

From an experience standpoint, this one does sting a little. But the DE/DL position is probably the safest position for attrition. Seems like we've collected some solid depth at both positions over the years and it would likely be a position of strength for Walters to recruit guys out of the portal if needed. I'll be much more concerned if we start losing LBs and CBs (the few we actually have).

Reactions: pboiler18
Allright! Tell doo dah day I nailed another one. I posted previously that Allen would not be drafted this year to a bunch of nay sayers here. And look, he’s coming back, so he won’t be drafted. Did I have inside info? Nope! Just speculated!

Where he winds up should be a clue. I could see a program like Georgia providing a situational pass rushing tackle something on the order of a $100k NIL deal. If he ends up at a program on par with Purdue where its more like the autographs and public appearance money, then it might have to do more with the coaching.

I do recall hearing Walters say he would adapt his scheme to the players or something along those lines. Unless that was just coachspeak.

Where he winds up should be a clue. I could see a program like Georgia providing a situational pass rushing tackle something on the order of a $100k NIL deal. If he ends up at a program on par with Purdue where its more like the autographs and public appearance money, then it might have to do more with the coaching.

I do recall hearing Walters say he would adapt his scheme to the players or something along those lines. Unless that was just coachspeak.
Now Lawrence Johnson in the portal.

• Wow
Reactions: FLAG HUNTER

it's begining to sound like coach speak.

Now Lawrence Johnson in the portal.
Is Deen and Johnson thinking they’ll get a NIL deal else where or are they going to L’ville? Sucks seeing starters use that extra Covid year somewhere else but look what Charlie Jones did for himself at Purdue! I bet Iowa fans got real tired of hearing his name lol

Is Deen and Johnson thinking they’ll get a NIL deal else where or are they going to L’ville? Sucks seeing starters use that extra Covid year somewhere else but look what Charlie Jones did for himself at Purdue! I bet Iowa fans got real tired of hearing his name lol
eh, they're happy now they got one of our decommits.

This could be about the D-Line scheme we will play next year. I read somewhere that Walters wants 3 down linemen which would require big bodies.

Coaches have to adjust to personnel but perhaps these guys don’t want to take a chance on a scheme change in their last year.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
And hey, who knows, maybe they can sign him as a free agent in a year or two??
Agree. The once scorned ex lover will definitely become a thing with free transfers. Ride the pine at Bama, UGA, USC, etc. for 2-3 years or go play at your hometown school after MAYBE sitting for a year.

I think the transfer portal + 1 free transfer was a great thing for competitive parity in college football. Now, the transfer portal + free transfers anytime + NIL makes it pretty much a nightmare for players, programs and coaches....especially the ones at a start disadvantage in the NIL realm.

You're going to see a lot of good coaches flee the college game for either retirement or the NFL where they don't have to deal with this crap any longer!

Agree. The once scorned ex lover will definitely become a thing with free transfers. Ride the pine at Bama, UGA, USC, etc. for 2-3 years or go play at your hometown school after MAYBE sitting for a year.

I think the transfer portal + 1 free transfer was a great thing for competitive parity in college football. Now, the transfer portal + free transfers anytime + NIL makes it pretty much a nightmare for players, programs and coaches....especially the ones at a start disadvantage in the NIL realm.

You're going to see a lot of good coaches flee the college game for either retirement or the NFL where they don't have to deal with this crap any longer!
Tampering = self preservation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT