ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Thoughts on Biles quitting (don't you dare click on this PUQBMan)

hunkgolden

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 1, 2004
Can an athlete be considered the greatest ever if they quit in the middle of the most important competition? Is this the result of the participation trophy generation? Mental toughness seems to be lacking with some high profile athletes.

Can an athlete be considered the greatest ever if they quit in the middle of the most important competition? Is this the result of the participation trophy generation? Mental toughness seems to be lacking with some high profile athletes.
In my opinion no, she isn't the greatest ever and is a very selfish and weak thing to do. Kerri Strug sucked it up and won gold on a bad ankle. As I said Biles dropping out like she did is just weak.

In my opinion no, she isn't the greatest ever and is a very selfish and weak thing to do. Kerri Strug sucked it up and won gold on a bad ankle. As I said Biles dropping out like she did is just weak.
We have no way to know what her mental state was - only she does. I suggest giving her the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: boiler44
It's on several sites I am sure but also google. To paraphrase she quit because 'The pressure of being the best got to her'. Sorry, that is a load of crap because it's self-serving and she has been at the top for a while now. And as a result of her tapping out, her team lost.
But what other reason could there be that she dropped out?

We'll, her scores weren't good. So was she really hurting the team? Again, I have no skin in the game, so I'm just posing the question.
They weren’t good by her standard. Her difficulty bonus is so high that she can mess up and still have an equal or better score than someone that had better execution

Reactions: purduepat1969
She finished in first place in the prelims. And qualified for the finals in all four events.
I don't like the fact that she quit. But it appears her teammates still support her. I don't know the whole story so I'm not gonna judge her...

It the goal was to win the gold- she hurt them by withdrawing more than she helped.
I couldn't access that article but I have read other pieces that state that the gold was already lost. And like Pat said, her withdrawing actually kept them from potentially losing silver as well.

I don't really care that much one way or the other, but I'm not ready to completely slam someone for something like this.

I couldn't access that article but I have read other pieces that state that the gold was already lost. And like Pat said, her withdrawing actually kept them from potentially losing silver as well.

I don't really care that much one way or the other, but I'm not ready to completely slam someone for something like this.
How was the gold already lost and where are you reading that? She competed in only 1 event before withdrawing.

How was the gold already lost and where are you reading that? She competed in only 1 event before withdrawing.

I may have read something that was wrong. It was on twitter this morning and can't find it now. Now I'm seeing articles that it was still possible but unlikely.

Same main answer though. Mental issues are real and I'm not going to throw the hammer down on her.

Reactions: Lee3370
I would say the pressure on herself was extremely high to the point it impacted her mental state. When people expect a person to perform like they did when they were in their physical prime, it can lead to this. I'm not gonna throw her under the bus. She tried and wanted to represent herself and her country well. I'll save any judgement for those who want to disrespect the flag.

But what other reason could there be that she dropped out?

Putting on my tinfoil hat for a moment, I find it a bit convenient that one of the most outspoken critics of USA Gymnastics and its failure to protect its athletes over the last couple years suddenly decides to take a mental health day on her sport's biggest stage making it highly unlikely the US would win gold but is predicting a miraculous recovery just in time for the individual competition.

I'm going to be an enigma in all of this and agree with BOTH sides of the argument on this. Those of us that have served more than likely have had members of your squad do the same thing she did. Some of legit reasons and others just to get out of doing something.

So while I know it's human nature to argue things in to the dirt (especially on here), both sides on this are correct. The only one(s) that know the truth are her and God (for those that believe).

Putting on my tinfoil hat for a moment, I find it a bit convenient that one of the most outspoken critics of USA Gymnastics and its failure to protect its athletes over the last couple years suddenly decides to take a mental health day on her sport's biggest stage making it highly unlikely the US would win gold but is predicting a miraculous recovery just in time for the individual competition.
If that were to happen, then my statement I made just a few seconds ago would be quite wrong. You don't do something like that unless you're only thinking of yourself.

Which would be too bad as she is a great talent and doesn't need to pull stunts like that.

If that were to happen, then my statement I made just a few seconds ago would be quite wrong. You don't do something like that unless you're only thinking of yourself.

Which would be too bad as she is a great talent and doesn't need to pull stunts like that.

I was responding to Riveting's question with an admittedly conspiratorial take. I take her at her word. She had a rough trials and looked off in the preliminary competition. It seems more than plausible she was not in a good head space. It seems like every Olympics there is at least one athlete that the media overhypes who fails to deliver due to the pressure. However, two things give me pause about her explanation. First, my understanding (not sure it is accurate but what I heard earlier today) is that the team qualified for today's competition not the individual athletes on the team. As such, if she withdrew before her first event in today's competition the team could have replaced her with an alternate. Second, her confidence that she would be ready for the individual and all around competition later in the week during the press conference immediately after the event. USA Gymnastics has tried to walk back her comments and noted that she would have to be medically cleared, etc. by team doctors, but she was pretty certain in her own comments.

Reactions: Lee3370
I may have read something that was wrong. It was on twitter this morning and can't find it now. Now I'm seeing articles that it was still possible but unlikely.

Same main answer though. Mental issues are real and I'm not going to throw the hammer down on her.

In an interview she said she didnt internalize the sexual assault from the MSU Dr she was a part of. This time around she has and continued competing because she wanted to show other women to persevere and overcome. I am sure that and the pressure got to her. It sucks that it did, but I am not going to act like she is the worst person ever.

She won USA a bunch of golds last Olympics, she is an amazing athlete, and it sucks she had this meltdown. 24 and she gets to start her next act in life, I wish her luck and hope she feels better.

Reactions: Purdue85
I would say the pressure on herself was extremely high to the point it impacted her mental state. When people expect a person to perform like they did when they were in their physical prime, it can lead to this. I'm not gonna throw her under the bus. She tried and wanted to represent herself and her country well. I'll save any judgement for those who want to disrespect the flag.

What is disrespect the flag? Out of curiosity, those that stormed the capital, and used the flag to break the windows of the captial building or dragged the flag of the capital while they were breaking in illegally disrespecting the flag?

Reactions: MisterBlack7
Barker, I could see how someone could feel considerably more pressure to win a gold for her teammates than simply to win one for herself in the individual competition.

The whole team thing is a bit of a crock anyway in sports like gymnastics and golf, where it is just a bunch of individuals competing separately and then they add up the scores to get the winning "team."

Yes, they were...

I respect the view point then. Personally I can understand those that kneel during the anthem, I do think they are disrespecting the country, not anthem, but its their way to protest. That said, I would never personally kneel during the anthem, but both are disrespecting the flag and you for sure entitled to your opinion as long as it's consistent. I do respect that.

Reactions: purduepat1969
After sensitive tweets by durant and Lillard it turns out team USA won

This was not a decision from the mindset of the "participation trophy" generation. Simone did what was best for herself (which is all that matters) and her team. She knew her limits, at the present time, and did not want to cost the team a medal. A very mature decision for someone who, I'm sure, did not want to stop competing. Yes, all sports have risks, and I am glad that we have progressed enough to where we are not risking a life time injury (or worse) in the name of winning gold.

And yes, before you ask, I am also very happy with the decision to make football a much safer sport. I played six years, and love watching the game, but not at the cost of life altering injuries to college students. Again, I know that big risks are involved with football, but that doesn't mean players should endure life time suffering for our enjoyment. Neurological issues are no joke, and to see emphasis being placed on mental health (including head injuries that lead to mental health issues) means we are taking steps in the right direction to continue having children/students still want to play the sports we love.

Since I have not watched two minutes of the Olympics this year, I can honestly say I could care less. IMHO, you quit....you're a loser. And a quitter/loser can never be the greatest

ADVERTISEMENT