ADVERTISEMENT

OT SIU steals OSU asst track coach

Wolegib

All-American
May 23, 2013
I realize very few of you care. But it peaked my son's interest. SIU fired their head coach because they didn't finish in the top 20 this year. Coach Kill (minn and siu football coach) is now the SIU athletic director and his goal is to win championships. Finishing second in the MVC wasn't good enough for him.

He took swift action to fire the head coach and stole a very promising assistant head coach from OSU, much like Hazell being hired by Purdue because Hope didn't satisfy the AD.

Why would an assistant coach leave OSU for an MVC school? You'd be surprised at how much money non-power 5 schools can offer coaches. And we have seen the non-power 5 teams can be just as competive in all sports. Look at Loyola in basketball. I don't fear Brohm leaving. But this a wake up call that the lesser colleges do have the money and will target the up and coming assistants.

My source is inside. My point? If successful, Brohm's assistants are just as likely to leave before he does!

I realize very few of you care. But it peaked my son's interest. SIU fired their head coach because they didn't finish in the top 20 this year. Coach Kill (minn and siu football coach) is now the SIU athletic director and his goal is to win championships. Finishing second in the MVC wasn't good enough for him.

He took swift action to fire the head coach and stole a very promising assistant head coach from OSU, much like Hazell being hired by Purdue because Hope didn't satisfy the AD.

Why would an assistant coach leave OSU for an MVC school? You'd be surprised at how much money non-power 5 schools can offer coaches. And we have seen the non-power 5 teams can be just as competive in all sports. Look at Loyola in basketball. I don't fear Brohm leaving. But this a wake up call that the lesser colleges do have the money and will target the up and coming assistants.

My source is inside. My point? If successful, Brohm's assistants are just as likely to leave before he does!

What Loyola did in March isn't a good reason to draw any conclusions about Brohm's future at Purdue. Besides that, I doubt there are many parallels between track and football.

Also, what info was provided by a source? Seems like everything you mentioned is public.

What Loyola did in March isn't a good reason to draw any conclusions about Brohm's future at Purdue. Besides that, I doubt there are many parallels between track and football.

Also, what info was provided by a source? Seems like everything you mentioned is public.
I knew it about 1 month before it was made. Public and I posted it 2 days before it was made public. The only thing we were waiting for is the naming of the new coach. The public also says the head coach was leaving to explore other possibilities . I know why she and her husband were actually fired. It was non track related. MSU is not the only school with off the field issues.

My entire post meant to draw a parallel. It was not about Brohm leaving. It was about non power 5 schools having the money to target and steal good assistants with lure of being a head coach. The SIU track coach was making $200+ k. You can imagine what the SIU football coach is being paid! Similar money to Brock at ISU. I could easily see a Purdue assistant leaving to become a head coach or coordinator. My concern is one of Brohm's assistants could leave just as easily as Brohm. A head coach is only as good as his assistants! Our defense won several games for us last year.

I think your very first sentence on this subject is correct.

It's a stretch to draw any conclusion from that story and apply it to anything going on at Purdue right now. But it just shows you bleed gold and black, which we all probably do.

If yo u didn't care, you wouldn't have read farther or bothered to take the time to comment.

Track is a lot like football, and has a lot of different athletes with different talents. and like football, it has many different coaches who specialize in different areas. No one coach can coach everything. You have field events, jumping events, sprinters, long distance each with a separate coach, and with a head coach who oversees everything. You also have elite athletes who commit to different schools primarily based on the reputation of the school and their assistant coaches. SIU has a reputation for developing Olympic quality weight throwers.

to me there are many parallels that can be drawn between assistant track coaches and assistant football coaches. A WRs coach is the equivalent of a sprinters coach. and at many schools, the pay is about the same for assistant coaches.

The OSU track coach who left OSU to become the SIU head coach was at OSU for the last 10 years, and was the assistant head coach for the last 6 years. and the OSU long jumper was the NCAA champion this year. it came as a shock to the OSU community she decided to leave OSU to become a head coach at an MVC school.

and as I indicated, I don't have any fears of Brohm leaving Purdue. What I do fear is with continued success, Brohm's assistants will be targeted and lured away for potential head coaching positions much like Hazell was lured away from OSU. The success of both track and football is very dependent on the competency of its assistant coaches.

that's why I brought the subject up. That's what I fear most. that we will become so successful, that success will lead to our assistants leaving. It happened to both Keady and Painter. it could easily happen to Brohm. and non power 5 schools now have a lot more money to spend for coaches than you are led to believe. What was the draw for a very successful OSU coach to come to SIU ? Why did Coach Kill return to SIU ? it definitely wasn't the surrounding community.

Isn't that what 90% of assistant coaches want to do? Get a head coaching job somewhere? I am pretty sure most head coaches started at some mid level university and worked their way up. How many schools have lifetime assistant coaches?

Isn't that what 90% of assistant coaches want to do? Get a head coaching job somewhere? I am pretty sure most head coaches started at some mid level university and worked their way up. How many schools have lifetime assistant coaches?

well that's my entire point. Forget all the stupid posts about Brohm leaving. What you need to worry about most is his assistants leaving for head coaching and coordinator positions. Purdue is not going to be able to pay them what other schools will offer for head coaching jobs.

Purdue is not going to be able to pay them what other schools will offer for head coaching jobs.

I can only think of three schools (Bama, Mich, OSU) that can pay assistants more than they would get as a HC elsewhere.

While it may be more likely that an assistant leaves, the impact is just not the same as if Brohm left. So that's why many worry about him more than an assistant.

I can only think of three schools (Bama, Mich, OSU) that can pay assistants more than they would get as a HC elsewhere.

While it may be more likely that an assistant leaves, the impact is just not the same as if Brohm left. So that's why many worry about him more than an assistant.

that's my real concern. I'm not sure I totally agree. Holt was almost 100% responsible for Purdue's defense last year. With Holt, how much time/effort does Brohm dedicate to defense? Jackson and Shephard have been tremendous recruiters. I would hate to lose any of those three.

the entire coaching staff is a big family and each coach plays an integral role. While Brohm receives the majority of the credit and glory, I have to believe he delegates a lot of his responsibilities to his assistants and is very dependent on each of them for the overall success of our team. it has been said many times about how much impact an assistant has on both the development and also the recruitment of players. I like Brohm, but I also like the group of assistant coaches he has surrounded himself with. I'd hate to see any of them leave.

I feel that was part of Hazell's downfall. he surrounded himself with some very bad assistant coaches. Losing Brohm to another school would be a huge loss as he would likely also take the majority of his coaching staff with him. but I also have to believe losing some of our assistant coaches could also have a tremendous impact.

I didn't pay much attention in the past to assistant coaches. For those that follow Purdue football more closely, how much of an impact was caused when Brock Spack left?

I guess I can see it both ways. losing an assistant coach would definitely have an impact. But if you lose Brohm, because of their loyalty to him, you not only would lose Brohm, but his entire coaching staff would probably follow him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT