ADVERTISEMENT

OT: PURDUE SCRAPS HOMECOMING 'KING & QUEEN' TITLES FOR GENDER-NEUTRAL COURT

Status
Not open for further replies.
actually, only a few very vocal students wanted it. To be truthful i could care less if they even had a king and queen but i would definitely rather have none that be embarrassed by this act
yeah...I don't care about anything other than the idiotic PC at play. Do away with everything outside of academics and sports and I'm fine..but to make THIS an issue in a sea of so many potential issues?

*This is a response to both this post and your followup post*

So in asking my 4 year old niece what she thinks of the situation, should I also explain to her the potential risks involved with letting grown men into her bathroom? The older women in my life are old enough and informed enough to make decisions for themselves. Again, they are strongly against allowing men in the women's restroom.

Are you implying that I "Hate" certain races or people with certain beliefs? Based on your "What I'm also saying is people should interact with other people more rather than hating them for being different or unique" comment and then following that up with people stereotyping your son, I'm assuming you are.

Please show me where I said I hated men who think they are women, or woman who think they are men. Please show me where I made a stereotype against an African American. If you can't provide that, then I suggest you edit your posts, or delete them all together.

My original posts were not targeted at you. and I didn't use your name period.. I also didn't state you hated anybody. and unlike some, I haven't edited my posts. I didn't accuse you of anything. I did respond to one of your posts. and obviously, you believe I'm talking about you. But take the time to read all of the posts from this entire thread.

I'm sensing a lot of bias and even hatred toward the gay community and liberals. I have a lot of friends who are female, black, gay and liberal. and they resent the labels placed on them. and all too often those labels are placed based on zero factual evidence.

Sure the things you fear could happen. North Korea could launch a nuclear attack as well. and painter could sign the #1 recruit in the nation. anything is possible.

and as I said, parents seem to get more upset about things than youth do.

Reactions: heytherehoodoo
My original posts were not targeted at you. and I didn't use your name period.. I also didn't state you hated anybody. and unlike some, I haven't edited my posts. I didn't accuse you of anything. I did respond to one of your posts. and obviously, you believe I'm talking about you. But take the time to read all of the posts from this entire thread.

I'm sensing a lot of bias and even hatred toward the gay community and liberals. I have a lot of friends who are female, black, gay and liberal. and they resent the labels placed on them. and all too often those labels are placed based on zero factual evidence.

Sure the things you fear could happen. North Korea could launch a nuclear attack as well. and painter could sign the #1 recruit in the nation. anything is possible.

Probably because adults are more experienced than youth and look at things from all angles. If you are fine with the law, then that's fine. I will continue to speak out against it.

Also, I don't see anyone hating on the gay community. Most just think it's idiotic for Purdue to take this stance. Especially when at least half of Purdue's donors are conservative.

I'm sure there is hate for liberals going on, but there is also hate for conservatives going on. That's politics. When you fundamentally disagree with someone about some of the most important topics in life, there will obviously be friction.

I like hot dogs, but hate wieners....except my own.

Man who goes to sleep with itchy butt, wakes up with smelly finger.
Man who walk through airport turn-style sideways, going to Bangcock China.

Reactions: tjreese
How does acknowledging biological genders harm anyone? Why would anyone be so upset about biology that you want to make up your own rules to deny it?

I'm not exactly sure where you are going, but most people in China speak Mandarin. That is a stereotype and true. How does a stereotype get started without "an element" of truth? In most testing of hypothesis where the mean is judged it can be somewhat common that tails could overlap and yet with a degree of confidence a significant difference can exist. Rarely is anything a 100% this or that in 100% of the cases. The significance of a difference is a function of how different the averages are in comparison to the populations or variability of each. We know that most college basketball players are taller than the general population of which they belong and taller yet on the average in the NBA, but that doesn't mean that an NBA player couldn't be smaller than a given high school player either. Anyone can find exceptions to anything, but what does that mean in a general sense...that exceptions exist? Sure they do and in some case a LOT of exceptions

one exception example could be people with androgen insensitivity syndrome.

externally, they are born appearing female.
but internally/biological, they are actually male (chromosome, body parts).
many live their lives as women, since they didn't know until later in life, and due to external appearance.

Last edited:
I completely understand that, but it still doesn't mean it belongs.

Except that it is, hence the name of the forum. It isn't called 'basketball and other things'

And hence why this forum is known as the 'retirement community' of Purdue forums.

It's not offensive, it's embarrassing.

And I don't agree with the kneeling either. Sports should be about sports and not social justice, either way.
OK. You don't think the thread belongs here. Maybe not. But here you are, fully engaged, and you have posted your opinion in it multiple times now.

many live their lives as a woman; they appear female externally and didn't know otherwise (until later). but internally/biological, they are actually male (chromosome, body parts).
This is a good point. What you describe is a medical abnormality. It's called a syndrome for a reason. But we have "enlightened" people demanding that these poor souls with mental and physical illnesses accept their disorders as gifts and even enhance them with dangerous drugs and mutilating surgery.

As a conservative, here's my opinion on that.

I don't hate gays or liberals. I have actually quite a few lesbian friends and one or two male gay friends. My problem with the LGBT community is they want to be known as a normal human being, like the rest of us. But the thing is that normal human beings don't throw these huge protests in the middle of cities. They demand to be treated normal, but the irony is that normal people don't demand that. They just are a certain way. If you don't like me, so what. You mean nothing to me. My family comes first, then friends, then I will do whatever needs to be done for a stranger, regardless of their way.

And most conservative would love a normal conversation with liberals, but when you tell them the truth, the facts, they get confrontational, and somehow you end up being a racist or bigot. Since I like Trump, I'm a racist, bigot, I hate minorities, I hate gays, I endorse school shootings, and the very latest, I endorse putting immigrant kids into dog cages. And the worse part about it, is that you hear those very same sentiments repeated on ESPN, CNN, NBA/NFL players, many big name actors. Numerous "famous" people (even school teachers) have been quoted saying something along the lines of, if you like/voted for Trump, you're the problem, or you're a racist, or you're a bigot, you love terrorist organizations like NRA... All this outlandish bullshit that blows my mind and millions of other minds around this country while we sit at home, shake our heads in disgust of what this country has quickly turned into, and what our kids futures look like (which frightens the hell out of me).

externally, they are born appearing female.
but internally/biological, they are actually male (chromosome, body parts).
many live their lives as women, since they didn't know until later in life, and due to external appearance.
I was just talking Sunday with a nurse concerning similar situations. In my ignorance of DNA in general I don't have a feel for various mutations and anomolies in general. As I get older I find more things I want to learn and the clock is winding down. My son-in-law has his doctorate in biological statistics and researches effectiveness of various drugs relative to DNA, but I am woefully ignorant of the field..although interested not only for my curiousity but to understand below the surface what all he is doing...and I want to learn a lot more on Kenpom as well...and the market...and...

Why we see Siamese Twins, webbed fingers and toes and the many birth defects when things go wrong in the DNA I don't know. It is an interesting field of study...

Last edited:
I remember hearing about a high school in Indy which had a transgender student named the king even though it was born a she.

I can understand how you feel. but have you discussed this with your daughters and asked how they feel?

I'm having similar problems in boy scouts dealing with parents in allowing both transgendered males as scouts and leaders and also allowing girls into scouts. The youth don't seem to have a problem. but their parents are in an uproar. And the LDS church is leaving boys scouts all together next year and forming their own youth "separate but equal" programs.

I had a similar problem in the Air Force in the 80's. I was responsible for kicking out 20 airman just because they frequented a gay bar and were honest about it. Their gender beliefs were never a problem inside the workplace. but it was a huge political problem to those in authority outside it.

No, I haven’t asked them how they feel about it. They’re children and as their father, there’s certain decisions that will be made that they get no say in. In my house, I’m judge and jury.
As I said, I could care less how much a person feels they’re born the wrong gender. That’s they’re problem, not mine. But why should their feelings supersede that of parents and others made uncomfortable by these idiotic decisions?

Ahhh; the 'searching for a reason to be offended' stuff that causes people to get their feathers ruffled!

From the local news article - looks like this decision was not because they wanted to "pair up" same-gender candidates, but largely because they couldn't get enough men who were serious about being on the committee:

"Ten candidates have been selected for the 2018 court. In the past, there have been an even number of king and queen candidates. This year, there are eight females and two males.

"Really just getting people to apply for homecoming royalty court has just been a struggle," said Brock when asked why the inconsistency this year. "Even though we had more than two male applicants, the others we had we decided not to go with just because these female candidates had better resumes, did better things on campus and we felt like they represented campus better."
Thanks for posting. But trumpflakes are going to get triggered no matter what. They just cover their ears, stomp their feet and scream "fake news! Fake news!"

Reactions: SantaBoiler
I deleted a couple of paragraphs, when I realized this below.

Purdue students decided to just have a Homecoming Court of 10 students without a King or Queen. and look how political we have tried to make their decision. Their decision had nothing to do with gays or transgenders or liberals or conservatives. . It was more to do with selecting the 10 best qualified people. their decision had nothing to do with anything political. They just wanted to recognize the 10 best students on their court.

and isn't that what we all would want at Purdue ?

Reactions: heytherehoodoo
Wow, sad to say, but this doesn't surprise me much.

I'm all for tolerance, and understanding; but this P.C./Neutrality stuff has gotten just a little stupid, IMHO.

Bash away all you want, but as a Purdue grad and alumni: I find this down right embarrassing.
Despicable.

Reactions: SantaBoiler
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT