ADVERTISEMENT

OT: PURDUE SCRAPS HOMECOMING 'KING & QUEEN' TITLES FOR GENDER-NEUTRAL COURT

Status
Not open for further replies.
People get upset over the dumbest things. How does this harm you? It does not. The students wanted this. Amazing the things that get people upset on these boards.

Well there Heywood, for me, it all boils down to this:
I guess at this point, I'm just tired of everyone's bullshit these days. Just live your life man.

Everyone these days is running around bitching about some supposed social injustice; making a big deal about something that is, and has always been, generally innocuous, and then screaming it from the mountaintops.
Somebody is always running off, and making it their "life work" to fight some evil, some wrong doing in the world: something stupid like expecting "The Boy Scouts" not to be all about little boys; and "the Girl Scouts" to be for little girls, and somehow now that's not ok anymore. Not good enough.

At some point, people have got to stop pissing and moaning about their lives, and just live it.

In this day and age of P.C. everything, with all the crap that the P.C. generation seems to be fighting for with their equal treatment, equal opportunities, and all that, but in the next breath they want to still retain their individualities, and still be able to celebrate/recognize their special/differences/protected status in our society. It's the double standards.
Going back to the Boy Scouts (it's not the focus here, just an easy example at 6 am), everybody seems to be crying about equality, about getting the same opportunities for the little girls, that the little boys have; but by god, you put the shoe on the other foot, and even mention the thought of putting a little boy in that same situation, and then those same "equality warriors" then turn around and call you a misogynist.
What ever happened to celebrating our differences, and focusing on and celebrating those unique qualities in each of us, that makes us special?

But then, if it's not that, then you have some other special interest group sticking their noses in it, and all they want is to "water down" the gene pool, so that everyone and everything is absolutely fair, equal, and totally homogeneous in every way, shape or form. When it all comes down to real life, we are still all different individuals, with different ideas, thoughts, talents and values.

Again, I guess I'm just tired of everyone's bull-chit these days; life's way too short, to be running around and playing the victim card all the time. #MEE TOO!!!
Grow up, grow a pair, and get on with it.

"Harm me?" No, it doesn't. But it sure does irritate the crap out of me, and tends to make me a crotchety old man sometimes.

Who cares? This will not impact anyone on this forum so stop judging:

Matthew 7:1-3
Judge not, that ye be not judged.

For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Well there Heywood, for me, it all boils down to this:
I guess at this point, I'm just tired of everyone's bullshit these days. Just live your life man.

Everyone these days is running around bitching about some supposed social injustice; making a big deal about something that is, and has always been, generally innocuous, and then screaming it from the mountaintops.
Somebody is always running off, and making it their "life work" to fight some evil, some wrong doing in the world: something stupid like expecting "The Boy Scouts" not to be all about little boys; and "the Girl Scouts" to be for little girls, and somehow now that's not ok anymore. Not good enough.

At some point, people have got to stop pissing and moaning about their lives, and just live it.

In this day and age of P.C. everything, with all the crap that the P.C. generation seems to be fighting for with their equal treatment, equal opportunities, and all that, but in the next breath they want to still retain their individualities, and still be able to celebrate/recognize their special/differences/protected status in our society. It's the double standards.
Going back to the Boy Scouts (it's not the focus here, just an easy example at 6 am), everybody seems to be crying about equality, about getting the same opportunities for the little girls, that the little boys have; but by god, you put the shoe on the other foot, and even mention the thought of putting a little boy in that same situation, and then those same "equality warriors" then turn around and call you a misogynist.
What ever happened to celebrating our differences, and focusing on and celebrating those unique qualities in each of us, that makes us special?

But then, if it's not that, then you have some other special interest group sticking their noses in it, and all they want is to "water down" the gene pool, so that everyone and everything is absolutely fair, equal, and totally homogeneous in every way, shape or form. When it all comes down to real life, we are still all different individuals, with different ideas, thoughts, talents and values.

Again, I guess I'm just tired of everyone's bull-chit these days; life's way too short, to be running around and playing the victim card all the time. #MEE TOO!!!
Grow up, grow a pair, and get on with it.

"Harm me?" No, it doesn't. But it sure does irritate the crap out of me, and tends to make me a crotchety old man sometimes.

Read your post. Keep in mind you started the post. I don't think many on this Basketball forum would even have heard or cared about this. See the irony?

Slow your role SC. Many of us wouldn't of heard about this, you're right. But, most of us on here feel the same way jimsil does. Most liberal, social justice warriors, don't really have a life outside the internet. These type of people aren't outside bailing hay, feeding the herd, building houses, doing lawncare, fixing plumbing, electrical, HVAC... All those manual labor things that you do outside, or you need a little elbow grease with.

Basically, we Americans, the same Americans the voted for President Donald Trump and still stand behind him, aren't on the internet, crying about social Injustice, complaining about Trump, advocating Bruce Jenner and giving him awards for bring brave or whatever the hell out was. We the majority, don't really express our opinions on the internet because we have a life outside this thing.

Basically, more people are gonna bash me and other conservative minded people on the internet, and it'll feel like we are extremely out numbered, and we are on the internet... But in real life, we're the majority, we just don't bitch and complain about shit on the internet, and harass people about it. We go to work, love our families, enjoy mother nature, have a few beers, and get ready to do it all over again.

Last edited:
Slow your role SC. Many of us wouldn't of heard about this, you're right. But, most of us on here feel the same way jimsil does. Most liberal, social justice warriors, don't really have a life outside the internet. These type of people aren't outside bailing hay, feeding the herd, building houses, doing lawncare, fixing plumbing, electrical, HVAC... All those manual labor things that you do outside, or you need a little elbow grease with.

Basically, we Americans, the same Americans the voted for President Donald Trump and still stand behind him, aren't on the internet, crying about social Injustice, complaining about Trump, advocating Bruce Jenner and giving him awards for bring brave or whatever the hell out was. We the majority, don't really express our opinions on the internet because we have a life outside this thing.

Basically, more people are gonna bash me and other conservative minded people on the internet, and it'll feel like we are extremely out numbered, and we are on the internet... But in real life, we're the majority, we just don't bitch and complain about shit on the internet, and harass people about it. We go to work, love our families, enjoy mother nature, have a few beers, and get ready to do it all over again.
The only thing this thread and your notion accomplish is to reinforce the stigma conservatives have. This will have zero real impact on anyone.

Oh and to your point: "we just don't bitch and complain about shit on the internet".... that is exactly what this thread is doing again in a very ironic way.

And before you jump my case, I am very conservative in my beliefs, not that it matters, but this thread has no business being on this forum to begin with. If for no other reason it makes us all look bad let alone has nothing to do with basketball.

People get upset over the dumbest things. How does this harm you? It does not. The students wanted this. Amazing the things that get people upset on these boards.
Well, I want my tax dollars and various contributions to Purdue to go to education and sports, not indoctrination. As an alum...this IS embarrassing. Very, very few students have the relevant knowledge in the appropriate domain coupled with the maturity outside the walls of academia at this point in life to have a mature, informed opinion. The slippery slopes easy transition into other mindless activity in various forms of intersectionality modifying testing and such as might be experienced in DIF (Differential Item Funcitoning) and the dumbing down of the population raising voting concerns.

Lot of info on this, but here is a very short piece by Jordan Peterson

The only thing this thread and your notion accomplish is to reinforce the stigma conservatives have. This will have zero real impact on anyone.

Oh and to your point: "we just don't bitch and complain about shit on the internet".... that is exactly what this thread is doing again in a very ironic way.

And before you jump my case, I am very conservative in my beliefs, not that it matters, but this thread has no business being on this forum to begin with. If for no other reason it makes us all look bad let alone has nothing to do with basketball.

You may think it reinforces a certain conservative stigma. I disagree, but you can have your opinion. I wouldn't put it in a statement form though.

I'm 100% certain this thread title started with OT:

Not being too sarcastic here, but it means off topic. If you don't want to read things non Purdue basketball related on this forum, I advise you not to click any link that starts with OT. This forum isn't meant for strictly Purdue basketball. That is certainly the center piece here, but for those of us that's been here many years, decades perhaps, this is a community where we all share mostly our thoughts about Purdue basketball, but also thoughts about world events. Again, if this offends you, don't click OT links or read threads that aren't Purdue basketball related. That's the best advice I can give you about that. There's many things I don't agree with either, but telling people it don't belong in a certain area won't do you any good. Look at NFL and kneeling. That shit doned belong in the NFL. They do it anyway. Nobody watches an NFL game to hear these guys political views or watch them kneel.

I'm 100% certain this thread title started with OT:

Not being too sarcastic here, but it means off topic.
I completely understand that, but it still doesn't mean it belongs.

This forum isn't meant for strictly Purdue basketball.
Except that it is, hence the name of the forum. It isn't called 'basketball and other things'

That is certainly the center piece here, but for those of us that's been here many years, decades perhaps, this is a community where we all share mostly our thoughts about Purdue basketball, but also thoughts about world events.
And hence why this forum is known as the 'retirement community' of Purdue forums.

Again, if this offends you, don't click OT links or read threads that aren't Purdue basketball related.
It's not offensive, it's embarrassing.

Look at NFL and kneeling. That shit doned belong in the NFL. They do it anyway. Nobody watches an NFL game to hear these guys political views or watch them kneel.
And I don't agree with the kneeling either. Sports should be about sports and not social justice, either way.

The whole idea of a homecoming court at a school the size of Purdue is laughable to begin with. Less than 1% of the student population even knows them personally.

Side note: Isn't the student body president a member of the football team? Maybe this topic should be on the other board (dws).

Well, I want my tax dollars and various contributions to Purdue to go to education and sports, not indoctrination. As an alum...this IS embarrassing. Very, very few students have the relevant knowledge in the appropriate domain coupled with the maturity outside the walls of academia at this point in life to have a mature, informed opinion. The slippery slopes easy transition into other mindless activity in various forms of intersectionality modifying testing and such as might be experienced in DIF (Differential Item Funcitoning) and the dumbing down of the population raising voting concerns.

Lot of info on this, but here is a very short piece by Jordan Peterson
Here’s a thought: can my son, who was born white and male, identify as a minority female when he applies for admission and financial aid at Purdue?

Why does it upset me? Because the administration is willing to bend over backwards to make a few people happy when the vast majority of people agree this is stupid. When do they stop accommadating a few special snowflakes at the expense of many?

Ahhh; the 'searching for a reason to be offended' stuff that causes people to get their feathers ruffled!

From the local news article - looks like this decision was not because they wanted to "pair up" same-gender candidates, but largely because they couldn't get enough men who were serious about being on the committee:

"Ten candidates have been selected for the 2018 court. In the past, there have been an even number of king and queen candidates. This year, there are eight females and two males.

"Really just getting people to apply for homecoming royalty court has just been a struggle," said Brock when asked why the inconsistency this year. "Even though we had more than two male applicants, the others we had we decided not to go with just because these female candidates had better resumes, did better things on campus and we felt like they represented campus better."

Well said and there's a ton of truth to that.
Ever wonder why the younger liberals tend to be celebrate 'individuality' by dying their hair purple, having a bunch of crap sticking out of their face, and generally making an ass of themselves? I believe it's because they don't subscribe to the same work ethic that conservatives do. It's the same reason many business leaders are conservative while many libs work at Starbucks.

Here’s a thought: can my son, who was born white and male, identify as a minority female when he applies for admission and financial aid at Purdue?
Seems fair to me. Also have him apply to live in a girls dorm or pledge a sorority.

That's it my kids are going to Hillsdale!
I guess I grew up in the wrong time.
Today I'd run to WAL-MART, buy a cheap dress, say I'm a girl today, just so I could take a shower with the cheerleaders. It would be worth missing a day of football practice. tic.

Reactions: yotheo
I guess I grew up in the wrong time.
Today I'd run to WAL-MART, buy a cheap dress, say I'm a girl today, just so I could take a shower with the cheerleaders. It would be worth missing a day of football practice. tic.
Sounds like we've got the script for the next Revenge of the Nerds movie.

I see a lot of stereotyping and labeling in this thread. Not all liberals are as you call them. And many conservatives wear earrings and piercings and also make an ass of themselves. . and a lot of people - both conservative and liberal have hard working jobs and don't post on the internet. And liberals are just as religious as conservatives and many go to church more often as well. Do only liberals take drugs and marijuana and alcohol? Do only conservatives go hunting, fishing, smoke and drink beer? Who owns a gun? Are only liberals striving for globalism, climate accord, anti-pollution, Obamacare and paying higher taxes? There are conservatives and liberals that both take the high road and respect others' opinions even if they disagree. and calling somebody a snowflake has no purpose or benefit. it's just name calling. I've been called a lot worse.

I'm on several local college scholarship committees. We look for academics, accomplishments, service and leadership over all other factors and criteria.

I see a lot of stereotyping and labeling in this thread. Not all liberals are as you call them. And many conservatives wear earrings and piercings and also make an ass of themselves. . and a lot of people - both conservative and liberal have hard working jobs and don't post on the internet. And liberals are just as religious as conservatives and many go to church more often as well. Do only liberals take drugs and marijuana and alcohol? Do only conservatives go hunting, fishing, smoke and drink beer? Who owns a gun? Are only liberals striving for globalism, climate accord, anti-pollution, Obamacare and paying higher taxes? There are conservatives and liberals that both take the high road and respect others' opinions even if they disagree. and calling somebody a snowflake has no purpose or benefit. it's just name calling. I've been called a lot worse.

I'm on several local college scholarship committees. We look for academics, accomplishments, service and leadership over all other factors and criteria.
I'm not exactly sure where you are going, but most people in China speak Mandarin. That is a stereotype and true. How does a stereotype get started without "an element" of truth? In most testing of hypothesis where the mean is judged it can be somewhat common that tails could overlap and yet with a degree of confidence a significant difference can exist. Rarely is anything a 100% this or that in 100% of the cases. The significance of a difference is a function of how different the averages are in comparison to the populations or variability of each. We know that most college basketball players are taller than the general population of which they belong and taller yet on the average in the NBA, but that doesn't mean that an NBA player couldn't be smaller than a given high school player either. Anyone can find exceptions to anything, but what does that mean in a general sense...that exceptions exist? Sure they do and in some case a LOT of exceptions

I like hot dogs, but hate wieners....except my own.

Man who goes to sleep with itchy butt, wakes up with smelly finger.

Wow, sad to say, but this doesn't surprise me much.

I'm all for tolerance, and understanding; but this P.C./Neutrality stuff has gotten just a little stupid, IMHO.

Bash away all you want, but as a Purdue grad and alumni: I find this down right embarrassing.

110% agree sick of it
I know the rich always ruled just didn't know they were all nuts

actually, only a few very vocal students wanted it. To be truthful i could care less if they even had a king and queen but i would definitely rather have none that be embarrassed by this act

Ahhh; the 'searching for a reason to be offended' stuff that causes people to get their feathers ruffled!

From the local news article - looks like this decision was not because they wanted to "pair up" same-gender candidates, but largely because they couldn't get enough men who were serious about being on the committee:

"Ten candidates have been selected for the 2018 court. In the past, there have been an even number of king and queen candidates. This year, there are eight females and two males.

"Really just getting people to apply for homecoming royalty court has just been a struggle," said Brock when asked why the inconsistency this year. "Even though we had more than two male applicants, the others we had we decided not to go with just because these female candidates had better resumes, did better things on campus and we felt like they represented campus better."
like I said earlier----- they should have just stopped having it. People have lost interest. The beauty pageants have lost relevance and have thus been relegated to near nonexistence. Its time has passed and they should have just retired it instead of making this ridiculous move

Actually, it does harm me. It's decisions like this that lead to decisions to let men, who happen to feel like woman, but happen to have male genitals, but want to use a women's restroom or lockerroom, and because the PC crowd and social justice warriors don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, they decide it's OK to let men, who feel like woman to do so, and no harm will come of it....Well, as the father of two young daughters, I'm not OK with it. If you're a man, have man parts, I don't care how much you feel like a woman or a chicken or a light pole, you use the men's bathroom and the men's lockeroom or you do your business at home. Period.
Do I lack empathy? Am I intolerant? Too bad. The safety of my children take priority over your feelings.

Actually, it does harm me. It's decisions like this that lead to decisions to let men, who happen to feel like woman, but happen to have male genitals, but want to use a women's restroom or lockerroom, and because the PC crowd and social justice warriors don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, they decide it's OK to let men, who feel like woman to do so, and no harm will come of it....Well, as the father of two young daughters, I'm not OK with it. If you're a man, have man parts, I don't care how much you feel like a woman or a chicken or a light pole, you use the men's bathroom and the men's lockeroom or you do your business at home. Period.
Do I lack empathy? Am I intolerant? Too bad. The safety of my children take priority over your feelings.

I can understand how you feel. but have you discussed this with your daughters and asked how they feel?

I'm having similar problems in boy scouts dealing with parents in allowing both transgendered males as scouts and leaders and also allowing girls into scouts. The youth don't seem to have a problem. but their parents are in an uproar. And the LDS church is leaving boys scouts all together next year and forming their own youth "separate but equal" programs.

I had a similar problem in the Air Force in the 80's. I was responsible for kicking out 20 airman just because they frequented a gay bar and were honest about it. Their gender beliefs were never a problem inside the workplace. but it was a huge political problem to those in authority outside it.

I can understand how you feel. but have you discussed this with your daughters and asked how they feel?

I'm having similar problems in boy scouts dealing with parents in allowing both transgendered males as scouts and leaders and also allowing girls into scouts. The youth don't seem to have a problem. but their parents are in an uproar. And the LDS church is leaving boys scouts all together next year and forming their own youth "separate but equal" programs.

I had a similar problem in the Air Force in the 80's. I was responsible for kicking out 20 airman just because they frequented a gay bar and were honest about it. Their gender beliefs were never a problem inside the workplace. but it was a huge political problem to those in authority outside it.
So you are saying I should ask my 4 year old niece how she feels about men using the women's bathroom with her? I'm guessing she wouldn't care, but does that mean it isn't a problem? I could probably ask her if she wanted to do heroin, and she would probably say yes.

Are you assuming his daughters are of age? In that case, I've had this discussion with my fiance, sister in-law, and mother, and they are all VERY against allowing men into their restrooms with them.

So you are saying I should ask my 4 year old niece how she feels about men using the women's bathroom with her? I'm guessing she wouldn't care, but does that mean it isn't a problem? I could probably ask her if she wanted to do heroin, and she would probably say yes.

Are you assuming his daughters are of age? In that case, I've had this discussion with my fiance, sister in-law, and mother, and they are all VERY against allowing men into their restrooms with them.

What I'm saying is parents should interact with their children more. You may find you are trying to protect them from something they don't need or want protection from. and their views may be different than yours.

What I'm also saying is people should interact with other people more rather than hating them for being different or unique.

I'll also admit there are some social issues that need to be worked out.

Reactions: heytherehoodoo
What I'm saying is my son is black and we live in a very redneck and white community. And because he's 6'5, the people in this community just assumed he's a natural athlete and basketball player. his favorite sport is actually soccer. he went to college on a scholarship - an academic one, not an athletic one. People just labeled and stereotyped him without ever taking the chance to know him.

because he is black, all of his classmates and parents felt he should be dating and marry the other black female in his class.. they are good friends, but have their own different interests.

is my son conservative or liberal? Is he gay? I don't care. To me, he's just my son.

We label people way too much. and as adults, we expect our children to follow in our footsteps.

Reactions: heytherehoodoo
What I'm saying is parents should interact with their children more. You may find you are trying to protect them from something they don't need or want protection from. and their views may be different than yours.

What I'm also saying is people should interact with other people more rather than hating them for being different or unique.

I'll also admit there are some social issues that need to be worked out.
*This is a response to both this post and your followup post*

So in asking my 4 year old niece what she thinks of the situation, should I also explain to her the potential risks involved with letting grown men into her bathroom? The older women in my life are old enough and informed enough to make decisions for themselves. Again, they are strongly against allowing men in the women's restroom.

Are you implying that I "Hate" certain races or people with certain beliefs? Based on your "What I'm also saying is people should interact with other people more rather than hating them for being different or unique" comment and then following that up with people stereotyping your son, I'm assuming you are.

Please show me where I said I hated men who think they are women, or woman who think they are men. Please show me where I made a stereotype against an African American. If you can't provide that, then I suggest you edit your posts, or delete them all together.

Reactions: yotheo
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT