ADVERTISEMENT

OT: PSU has to fire Franklin if they lose, right?

Franklin will be fine.

The Ped State athletic administration, like everyone involved with intercollegiate athletics, knows exactly how difficult it is to emerge with a win at Memorial Stadium.

Interesting comments from Franklin following the game on Penn State's late game scoring play:

"We went through that situation this week [in practice]," he said, "and we went through that situation on the sideline, and obviously we could've handled it better. What we wanted to do was get as much as you can and get down."

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: delarno
Was the 2 pt call that stood in OT the correct call by the officials?

Yes it was. The pylon moved before the ball or any part of Penix's body touched the ground. Was it by a centimeter or a millisecond? Absolutely. If the pylon didn't move the call would have certainly been reversed.

Yes it was. The pylon moved before the ball or any part of Penix's body touched the ground. Was it by a centimeter or a millisecond? Absolutely. If the pylon didn't move the call would have certainly been reversed.
lol There is a possible argument that the nose of the ball crossed the plane before it hit the ground, but the pylon DEFINITELY did not move before the ball hit the ground

Was the 2 pt call that stood in OT the correct call by the officials?

Based on the call on the field (successful conversion), I do think it was the right call by the officials as there wasn’t any indisputable evidence to overturn. Had the call on the field been no good, guessing replay would have confirmed that call as well.

Talk about making things up as you go along...the pylon absolutely DID NOT move before the ball touched the ground, and, literally EVERYONE that saw the replay said the same thing, including the world's greatest homer in Don Fischer.

It was a dumb decision to go for 2, it was a great individual effort by Penix, but, it was a missed/blown call that absolutely should have been corrected on replay, and, the fact that it was not shows just how worthless replay really is.

lol There is a possible argument that the nose of the ball crossed the plane before it hit the ground, but the pylon DEFINITELY did not move before the ball hit the ground
The fact that there is even a possible argument is a whole issue in itself, as, the pylon should be equal to the plane or it defeats the purpose of it. I think was the camera angle that made it appear as though it might be a potential argument, but, if indeed the ball somehow touched the plane before touching the pylon, that makes no sense at all.

Based on the call on the field (successful conversion), I do think it was the right call by the officials as there wasn’t any indisputable evidence to overturn. Had the call on the field been no good, guessing replay would have confirmed that call as well.
You mean other than the fact that the ball clearly touched the ground before it touched the pylon?

You mean other than the fact that the ball clearly touched the ground before it touched the pylon?

The ball doesn’t have to touch the pylon for it to be a TD. There’s no conclusive evidence that shows the ball didn’t cross the plane before the ball hit out of bounds. The only way that call gets overturned is if there’s a camera right on the goal line. There wasn’t. Therefore the on-field ruling has to be upheld.

Reactions: coolrockt21
So CG, you are simply stating that lack of an angle that would satisfy you did not allow the overturning of a bad call even after review. That does not mean that it was not a bad call.

Reactions: DAG10
So CG, you are simply stating that lack of an angle that would satisfy you did not allow the overturning of a bad call even after review. That does not mean that it was not a bad call.

You can’t overturn a call on the field without indisputable evidence. There was no indisputable evidence to overturn the call made on the field. Watching it live it was as bang-bang as you could get. I thought the runner got in because I saw the pylon move but at that speed there’s no way to tell. It’s clear on replay that the ball hits out of bounds before it hits the pylon but at the same time there’s no video evidence that shows the ball never broke the plain prior to the ball to hitting out of bounds.

We can argue all day about whether or not the play was ruled correctly on the field, but at that speed it’s a flip of the coin. The decision to not overturn the call on the field wasn’t a bad call because there was sufficient evidence.

As I understand it, the front of the pylon is at the goal line. So if he and the ball were out of bounds before hitting the pylon, how could he have broken the plane based upon his reach? There was no swipe that could have broken the plane and had the arm/ball come back.

Something I don't understand is why the pylon sits outside the goal line. The ball could hit the outside of the pylon without ever going over the actual endzone. Wouldn't it make sense to put the pylon inside the edge of the field if it determines where the endzone is? Can someone explain this?

If you freeze frame it and step through each frame, the white colored side line grass moves like 3 or 4 frames prior to the pylon being touched. It was the wrong call.

Reactions: DAG10
I saw an angle where it appeared the ball could have broken the plane before it hit the gound. Enough for it not to be indisputable evidence otherwise to overturn. I agree it didn't hit the pylon first. In any case, PSU should not have put itself in that position. Could they have run out the clock by kneeling (without getting an additional first down)? If so, that's on Franklin.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT